Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found Violet Palmer - but more brick walls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 14:27

Just found my great grandmother. Will continue below.

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 14:39

I thought she died when I was 4, which would be between 1/7/71 and 1/7/72. I knew she was 83 and was told she died in Mortlake. I eventually tried looking outside of the time period in which I thought she died, and the only one I found that I though might be possible was one that died Jun Qtr 1971 district Gosport. The birth date was 17 Dec 1887, that would tie in with her being 83, and I know my Nan said she thought her birthday was at Christmas. When I mentioned this to my mum, she said 'oh yes, she died at Betty's' (her yongest daughter), so the Gosport bit made sense too. Went ahead and ordered a death cert, I know it's the right person, because I recognise the name of Betty's husband who registerd the death. So, it says that the place of birth was Little Brackstead, Essex. Searched around some of the censuses, and I found her on 1901. They are living in Little Braxted (diff spelling), it says she was born in Brockley St Petore, Surrey. I am almost 100% sure this is her, because my Nan had mentioned that Violet's mother was a School mistress, this is what it has for her mother's occupation. So, I can't find the family anywhere else now. I am a bit confused by the birthplace too as it is presented like this Brockley St Petore, Surrey, England. I don't know if that is Brockley St, Petore or Brockley, St Petore. In fact I don't think the Petore bit is quite right. anyone able to help me?

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Aug 2005 14:43

This is the 1901 Alice Palmer abt 1856 St Olave, Surrey, England Head Little Braxted Essex Violet Palmer abt 1888 Brockley St Petore, Surrey, England Daughter Little Braxted Essex ---------------------------------------------------------- i think birthplace reads (surrey crossed out ) Brackley/Brockley St Peter

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Aug 2005 14:51

Without seeing the entry, it would be impossible to guess, but I have never heard of this place and can't find it. I was curious though, looking for violet's birth to find this: Name: Palmer, Matilda Violet Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1889 District: St Olave Southwark County: London Surrey Volume: 1d Page: 262 It's a year out from the 1901 census, but curiously in the same area as Violet's mum was born. nell

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 14:52

Thanks for looking. Could be what you say, yes. Can't find them at all on 1891. Thinking slightly outside the box, it is or course possible that Alice was never married and so therefore not widowed as she says. Or she could have been a single mother and then married afterwards, then been widowed. So she wouldn't have been Alice Palmer and Violet wouldn't have been Palmer either. I am only saying this because I now can't find a birth record that matches up at all, and I can't find them on the 1891 census at all.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Aug 2005 14:53

Googled, there is a Brockley St Peter in Deptford. This would be Greenwich reg district, but the only violet Palmers born there on Ancestry don't match up - one died shortly after birth. nell

Christine

Christine Report 12 Aug 2005 14:54

in 1891 Alice and Violet Palmer are in Lambeth RG12/416/ folio 114 page 8 .Alice is shown as married, but husband not on image

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Aug 2005 15:29

Could this be Alice and husband in 1881: Robert SNOOK Head M Male 53 Manien, Wiltshire, England Brass Founder Charlotte M.A. SNOOK Wife M Female 61 Rotherhithe, Surrey, England Buorann SNOOK Daug U Female 27 Bermondsey Flower Mounter ((Y M)) Eugenine SNOOK Daug U Female 19 St Olaves Milliner Alice PALMER Daug M Female 23 Rotherhithe Flower Mounter ((Y M)) Albert PALMER Son In Law M Male 27 Turnbridge Wells, Kent, England Brick Layer Robert PALMER Grandson Male 4 Brighton, Sussex, England Albert PALMER Grandson Male 1 m Camberwell, Surrey, England Source Information: Dwelling 2 Laurel Cottages Census Place Camberwell, Surrey, England Family History Library Film 1341163 PRO Ref RG11 Piece / Folio 0700 / 4 Page 6

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 15:30

Thank you all for looking! Much appreciate it. Christine, I had a look at the records with the references you gave. The family seems right, Alice is younger in this record, I am not sure about the places. Alice is down as Surrey, so that is ok, Violet is down as Kent. Could this be right though? Alice is down as born abt 1856 in 1901, so that 5 years difference. Do you think it's them? Can you make out the occupation for Alice?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 12 Aug 2005 15:35

Think I found her! Birth Mar 1888 Palmer Violet Greenwich 1d 1022 That's the right area, isn't it?

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 15:39

Helen, I don't think that 1881 family is them. I can find the same family in 1891 and no Violet at all. Just don't get the feeling that's them either. I think Violet was an only child, but can't be sure.

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 15:41

I don't think that's her Tracey. She was born Dec 1887, seems a bit late for registration.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 12 Aug 2005 15:42

If she was born in December, they might not have registered her until January, therefore coming in March 1888 quarter.

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 15:50

Oh yes, sorry, I read that as May 1888 for some reason. Is Greenwich near that place then. ( I am getting confused now!)

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 12 Aug 2005 15:51

Julie - my fault - I typed May lol (Sorry :O) Nell said Brockley St Peter came under Greenwich in the Reg Districts.

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2005 16:04

Ah right, thanks! I found that particular Violet a few days ago, I did think the Mar 1888 Qtr was the most likely. I think there were 2 Violet Palmers for that period. Looked at both and decided I couldn't make a link to either. Now seems likely. So, if I get her birth cert, what will that tell me? Will it give the mother's maiden name?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 12 Aug 2005 16:08

Should do. And who her father was, unless she wasn't married, or he was dead at the time.

Christine

Christine Report 12 Aug 2005 16:08

looking at 1901 image, I think Violet is born in Brockly St Peters 1881 occupation of Alice ??nurse?? Update: there is a St Peters at Brockley, church built in 1870