Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registers of Seamen's Services on Docs Online - 7

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 14 Aug 2005 23:17

Hi. I expect there'll be a number of folks who realised this category of record was now available (or becoming so). I've just got two of my CHRISTMASes plus a COCKS and a GOULD of my husband's. They aren't, to be honest, in the direct ancestral line, but interesting, even so... and they include Date and Place of birth! - Christine - Looked today (23/8/05) and saw they've added another 19,500 records (approx) - 2 more for me! Yippee!

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Aug 2005 07:20

Hi Once upon a time I would have directed you to the list of useful links here on GR, but last time we looked their link was so out-of-date, it didn't even forward you any more! - It was an address-unknown page. So here's the link: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ If you don't already know it there are LOTS of goodies on there, including Wills, and WW1 and WW2 medal info. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 23 Aug 2005 18:40

nudge for new info

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 23 Aug 2005 21:09

Thank you very much for this info. Have just found my gg grandfather and gg uncle (both entered late 1860s) with full physical descriptions. Brilliant.

John

John Report 23 Aug 2005 21:14

Thank you Christine. I hadn't looked at that site for a few weeks. One of my great-uncles was a carpenter on a hospital ship in the 1st WW. Hopefuly I'll get some info on him.

Pippa

Pippa Report 23 Aug 2005 21:45

Christine, Sorry to jump in! Just thought I would mention that I have Christmases in my tree via my Hippersons....... Anyway thanks for info will have a look if I can find any of my sailor ancestors. Pippa

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 26 Aug 2005 14:20

Nudge to show extra records now available. - C

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 26 Aug 2005 15:12

Hi Christine I'm feeling very thick today. Where does it tell what the new records are? I can't tell whether they are inputting on an alphabetical or chronological basis. (Either way, it is a brilliant project!)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 26 Aug 2005 16:16

Hi I haven't quite worked out on what basis they're going in. What I have sussed out is that the newly uploaded ones come BEFORE the previous ones, when you get your search results. This time I've managed to spot a couple from that special project I did last Feb - the tree for my church-friend's 80th. Her grandfather had twin elder brothers, both of whom went into the navy; their records have now appeared - along with the exact DoB! I've printed off the list so that I can pass it over to her next time we meet up at church - unless I drop round to see her at home (can I wait to pass on the info?!). I don't think she wants to spend pots of money on getting lots of paid-for stuff, but this info will add to the picture, even as it is. Christine

Kate

Kate Report 26 Aug 2005 16:28

I must be missing something - every time I look to see if it has been updated, I click on 'Availability of Records' and it always says 22% for 'Registers' and 0% or 'Not Online' for all the other categories. Where do you keep finding the numbers of new records added? Kate.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 26 Aug 2005 19:02

Kate, it's definately been updated, but I can't see where on the site it says so. Perhaps people were notified in TNA mailing lists? At the risk of sounding very, very thick: when the results show 'date', is that of birth or of date entering into the service?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 26 Aug 2005 20:48

Hi Not thick about those dates - I wondered myself and I prefer to think I'm not thick! By comparing with some info I knew, I am confident that the dates are DoB. As for how you tell when they've uploaded more... If you go for Advanced Search, it gives a list of the different images databases - along with how many images are available in each set. When I see 60,000+, and last time it was 40,000+, I know they must have added some! Christine

Karen

Karen Report 27 Aug 2005 00:22

Hi Christine, Just wanted to say thanks! Had noticed your thread before and had tried looking for one of my Parr names but without luck. Today i noticed your thread again , informing us of another update, thought i,d try again...and yep, this time i got lucky!!Hubert Parrs details have now been downloaded (and a copy sent to my dad!!). Thanks Again - It makes interesting reading. Now all i have to do is figure out what the ranks are.. Karen

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 27 Aug 2005 10:53

Thanks Christine. That's exactly the answer I wanted, hurrah.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 27 Aug 2005 13:32

Hi Twinkle Yes - I had a baptism date for my husband's gg-grandfather, in Spitalfields, and the DoB was a couple of weeks before. I've also gound some others in my mother's tree - although one of them has managed to be born after the date I had for baptism (oops!). Not sure where the error lies - it could even be a different man, although I'm not convinced of that. Christine

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 27 Aug 2005 14:13

I have successfully downloaded one but I have no idea what half of it means. Is there are glossery or guide anywhere? Or could anyone please help me translate? The bits I'm struggling with are: Rating - 'AB'. What does this stand for? A few lines below there's also something that looks like 'T.O.' and a date. GC Badges worn - 'G.I. 1-7-79'. The date I get, but all I can think of for GC is good conduct. He spent 42 days in gaol, so that can't be it surely. Character - 'Time Only' and a word that looks like 'Eesay'. It doesn't look like an abbreviation for exemplary. Discharge - 'Paid off' and the above-mentioned spot in prison. Under what circumstances was he paid off, because there's no gap in his service record. And why would he be in Bodmin Gaol rather than be subject to naval discipline? There are 3 initials next to his sentence that look like R D ?. But there's no gap in his service dates and they let him back in the Navy. Was this normal?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Sep 2005 17:58

nudge - now up to 90,300

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 7 Sep 2005 18:07

Now that the database is a respectable size, you can do searches by place and mop up the friends and relations who also joined up