Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

STEPHEN MUXLOW BORN 1856 SUDBROOK, LINCOLNSHIRE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 15 Aug 2005 10:25

I apologise for asking again but it may be that someone has joined the site since last time, I am looking for information on Stephen Muxlow, baptised 20 July 1856, Ancaster, Lincolnshire. I have found him on the 1861 Census living with his father Thomas and mother Ann and brothers and sisters. On the 1871 Census, he was a servant living at Market Place, New Sleaford. Lincolnshire. After that I cant find any trace of him, neither have any of the Muxlows I have been in contact with. I have reason to believe he has changed his name but haven't got absolute proof of this. I hope someone can help me. June xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2005 10:49

June I have a similar problem with two brothers, James (b 1859) and George (b 1856) Broad in Mawgan, Cornwall, in the St Columb registration district. James is in Mawgan on 1871 census and then disappears. George is in Cowbridge, Wales on 1881 census and then disappears. nell

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Aug 2005 11:11

Hi June Searching for Stephen/Sudbrook/1856+/- brings up a Stephen Harrison in 1891. May be worth investigating.

June

June Report 15 Aug 2005 11:13

Hi Jim, Whereabouts did you search for that please? June xx

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Aug 2005 11:17

Hi June Ancestry 1891 census Harrison, Stephen abt 1856 Sudbrooke, Lincolnshire, England Lodger Pilsley Derbyshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Aug 2005 11:21

1881 census without the E Stephen Harrison abt 1857 Sudbrook, Lincoln, England Boarder Gladstone Terrace, Pilsley In Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Aug 2005 11:24

This is interesting 1871 census Stephen Muxlow abt 1857 Sudbrooke, Lincolnshire, England Servant New Sleaford Lincolnshire Stephen Muxlow abt 1857 Sudbrook, Lincolnshire, England Servant New Sleaford Lincolnshire

June

June Report 15 Aug 2005 12:03

Thanks Jim, I had better tell you the whole story. (sorry to bore others that have heard it before) My grandfather, Stephen Harrison died in 1927, I have his Death Certificate and his Marriage Certificate but I cant find his Birth Certificate. When Stephen Harrison died, my father (Stephen,s son in law) found out something but my father wouldn't tell me. He said it was Stephen's secret and would remain so. All I had to go on was on the Marriage certificate in 1901, his age was given as 45years, he was a bachelor and his father was Thomas Harrison. I searched the LDS 1881 Census and found a Stephen Harrison that was the correct age, he was lodging with a couple called Rowland. Both Stephen's and Mrs Lucy A.Rowland's place of birth was Sudbrook, Lincolnshire. I sent for Mrs Rowland's Marriage certificate expecting her maiden name to be Harrison, it wasn't, it was Maxlow, her father was given as Thomas Maxlow. One day at the LDS Centre, I was looking through the Lincolnshire records for Harrison, getting nowhere, when I noticed what a lot of Muxlows there were. I searched for Thomas Muxlow, I found his family, one of his children was Lucy Ann, her age matched the 1881 Census, One of his sons was Stephen and his age matched the 1881 Census, too. I can only assume that the secret that my father found was that Stephen had changed his name for some reason. I exchanged photos with one of my Muxlow contacts, we both thought there was a definite family resemblance. I was hoping that the 1901 Census would show me that Stephen Harrison (living with my grandmother) would give his birth as Sudrook, unfortuneately Stephen was lodging away from home with another couple, who must have completed the census form, putting his birthplace as Derbyshire. Three months later, my mother was born in the village where the 1901 census was, so he must have just changed jobs at the time of the census. I now need to see the 1911 census which wont be released for a long time yet, or better still find some proof of change of name. I sent for a copy of his will but as it didn't go to probate, there wasn't a copy of it. Thanks June xx

June

June Report 15 Aug 2005 13:28

Jim, You are right about the 1891 Census, Stephen was lodging with his future mother in law, at Pilsley.Derbyshire. It does look like Stephen Muxlow and Stephen Harrison are one and the same but I still have a niggling doubt. June xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2005 14:40

June, I have Muxlow live oppisit me ,,they are a local family from around the area,and Ancaster is only 6 miles from me,,,Sudbrook runs out of Ancaster and you wouldnt know you were in it,,,only consists now of about 14 houses.... I will ask Tony Muxlow if they have any info on thier lot>I know they are on line..... Kay.

June

June Report 15 Aug 2005 15:10

Thanks Kay, That would be great if they could throw some light on it. June xx

June

June Report 16 Aug 2005 21:11

nudge

June

June Report 17 Aug 2005 07:46

Thanks Joan for your reply, the laws on changing names are rather complex, anyone can just change their name, as long they haven't fraudulent intentions and by just going to a solicitor. There doesn't seem to be a set place for all these records to be kept. I went to an open day at Southport Records office a few years ago and they gave me all the literature etc but couldn't help very much. I have even tried to see his will but there again because his wife and an only child were alive at the time of his death, it didn't go to probate. I live in hope! June xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Aug 2005 09:37

National Archives research leaflet on name changes: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/name/step1.htm I am awaiting a cert which I hope will prove that the reason the GRO couldn't give my husband's great-grandpa a birth cert is that although he was called Charles Carter, he was registered as McCarthy, as Fiona on these boards found a family that had the right parents, father's occupation, other children with right names and ages in 1861 as McCarthy. By 1871 they were Carter, so gt grandpa, born 1866, would not have known he'd ever had another name. Don't know yet why they changed their name, but I wish they'd chosen one less common! nell

June

June Report 17 Aug 2005 10:15

I have been in contact with that site Nel but I couldn't find anything to help. It seems to have been quite fashionable for people to change their names in those days. June xx

June

June Report 20 Aug 2005 07:21

Kay, Have you managed to speak to your neighbour yet? Sorry to be a pain. June xx

June

June Report 23 Aug 2005 07:54

I would like to thank Kay for introducing me to the Muxlows that live near her, they haven't got far with their tree yet but I will enjoy passing on the information I have, back to 1608. Thanks again Kay. June xx

Ray

Ray Report 17 Jan 2008 17:36

If you contact me I can take you back possibly to the 15th century with Stephen's ancestry, assuming that Stephen's parents were Thomas Muxlow/Ann Tindale and his grandparents James Muxlow/Susannah Harmstone. If so we have a common ancestor in Thomas Muxlow (1718) and Mary Tubbs.

Ray

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Jan 2008 18:13

Someone on Rootsweb has a tree with Stephen Harrison Muxlow, born before 20 July 1856, Ancaster, Lincolnshire, son of Thomas Muxlow & Ann Tindale.
On this tree Stephen Harrison Muxlow marries Mary Louisa Brookes but their daughter is named Nellie Muxlow Harrison.