Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Brickwalls - any help most gratefully recieved!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robyne

Robyne Report 17 Aug 2005 20:52

Hi, im not sure if anyone can help with the below but i think i have exhausted myself by looking

Dea

Dea Report 17 Aug 2005 20:54

brick, mortar, brick, mortar, brick............... What else have you got? Dea xxx

Liberty64

Liberty64 Report 17 Aug 2005 20:56

Even more.........brick, mortar, brick, mortar, brick, mortar, brick, mortar!! lol

Dea

Dea Report 17 Aug 2005 20:58

OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh Lib, On reflection I suddenly thought I was being cruel - you've gone one step crueler . Dea x

Robyne

Robyne Report 17 Aug 2005 20:59

1. Charles Alderton b1817c- Father Robert Alderton b1767c. Mother Ann, cant find a marriage though to find her maiden name or Charles or his sibling George's birth certs. Know the info from the 1841 Suffolk Census. Rattlesden/Hessett area. 2. John Osborn(e) b1840c - No idea who mother is, living with Harriet b1819c (possibly his mother?), Georgiana c1822 and Emily c1834. Rattlesden 1841 census 3. John Sleight c1819 married Martha Waddington 1848. Father William Sleight, no idea who mother is (father from marriage info) Lincs/York 4. My most recent problem! Ellen Wemyss Nicholson c1860 married William Elliott 1879 in Byker Newcastle. I am unable to find any birth info. Her father on her marriage cert was Christopher Nicholson, no known mother as i cant find Ellen and Christopher together on any census. Thanks very much

Dea

Dea Report 17 Aug 2005 21:01

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO them's BIG bricks - A little early I think - I'll go and see what I can find. Dea x

Liberty64

Liberty64 Report 17 Aug 2005 21:06

How about this for Robert Alderton! Im not sure if Rattlesden/Hessett is same area as Felsham. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: About 1770 Felsham, Suffolk, England Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: Ann Bogges Family Marriage: About 1796 Felsham, Suffolk, England Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter!

Robyne

Robyne Report 17 Aug 2005 21:15

Hi Lady Liberty Thanks so much for that! i think thats part of the problem as i have no idea about the areas and what could be close or not!

Dea

Dea Report 17 Aug 2005 21:29

I can find birth - Ellen Nicholson - Newcastle 1860 Ref 10b 14 Dec. quarter,. Dea

Robyne

Robyne Report 17 Aug 2005 21:43

Hi Dea I have ordered that one, but unfortunatly the fathers name is wrong. On the cert it is Thomas instead of Christopher. If a father is dead, would it say deceased under his name, or would it probably not say anything? Thanks for looking though

Dea

Dea Report 17 Aug 2005 21:43

1881: at 6 Byker Hill, Northumberland. William Elliot head

Dea

Dea Report 17 Aug 2005 21:46

1881: 6, Byker Hill, Northumberland William Elliot head age 27 Iron Hammerman Ellen Elliot wife 22 Christy Elliot dau 2 Ref RG11/5067 Dea x

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Aug 2005 21:51

Where did you get the info on her middle name?

Liberty64

Liberty64 Report 17 Aug 2005 22:15

Is this person connected to your Ellen??? only he is from same area with the same unusual surname that she use's as her middle name! Name: WEMYSS, John George Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1860 District: Newcastle upon Tyne County: Northumberland Volume: 10b Page: 70 ( There are these too: Wemyss, Edward 1851 June Deaths Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland Wemyss, Robert 1851 March Marriages Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland Wemyss, Agnes 1857 June Births Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland

Liberty64

Liberty64 Report 17 Aug 2005 22:35

Is this Ellen's birth ref: Births Dec 1860 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NICHOLSON Ellen Newcastle T 10b 14

Robyne

Robyne Report 18 Aug 2005 08:47

Hi I got the info from her marriage cert. Her children all had Wemyss as their middle names too. Apparently my grandad used to make jokes that they were double-barrelled. That birth cert has father Thomas and mother Margaret Hall, so no reference to Christopher. The only thing i can think of is if her mother remarried a Christopher Wemyss, but even then it would say father Christopher Wemyss and not Christopher Nicholson. Maybe they lied as they were both 19 when they got married. Did they need their parents permission?

Debbie

Debbie Report 18 Aug 2005 09:21

Robyne Just looked it up, and Felsham, Hessett and Rattlesden are all in the same registration district of Stow. In fact, they are all practically next door to each other. There's a really useful website that has info on all the parishes and reg. districts of Suffolk - I've found it invaluable. It's http://www*jhoddy*demon*co*uk/murrels/sfk_pash*htm (Just replace * with .) Regards Deb

Robyne

Robyne Report 18 Aug 2005 16:54

Thanks very much Deb, will have to make sure i keep a note of that for future reference.