Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificates before 1837

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Sep 2005 12:02

Is it possible to obtain marriage certificate for marriages before 1837? I have one or two marriages that I would like to have details for. Margaret

Trudy

Trudy Report 15 Sep 2005 12:11

Margaret Certs don't exist before 1837 - civil registration didn't start til then. The only thing you will find is in the parish registers - just a hard slog of searching I'm afraid!! Trudy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Sep 2005 12:12

You can get a copy of the entry in the parish register (if you know which parish the marriage took place), but you can't get a Marriage Certificate in the same way as after 1837. Kath. x

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 15 Sep 2005 12:12

Margaret No certificates before 1837 its parish registers Sue

Sam

Sam Report 15 Sep 2005 12:25

The parish registers for marriages before 1837 don't tend to have as much info as a proper marrige cert either. You only get the name of the bride and groom and whether 'of the parish' or not (you may be lucky and get the place they were living). You also get witnesses. There are no fathers names, ages, occupations or things like that. Sam x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Sep 2005 12:28

If you find the right parish, don't forget to check for any banns too. Sometimes they will give a lead on which other parishes to search for people.

Lynne

Lynne Report 15 Sep 2005 13:00

Sam's response poses a question from me. How do people trace back before 1837 when there are no father's names on marriage records? How do they find birth records from the marriage details? (Sorry, that's 2 questions LOL!). I am not yet in a position to check parish records (due to full time job) but would like to know for the future. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this. Lynne

Kate

Kate Report 15 Sep 2005 13:07

Lynne - that's where the fun starts! No, it isn't so easy pre-1837 unless your ancestor has a unique name. If he is William Smith, labourer, it may be impossible to work out who his parents were. Sometimes people very kindly gave their children the mother or grandmother's maiden name as a middle name, which can give you a clue. And if you can get hold of wills they are (usually!) helpful. Also if your ancestors lived in the same small village for generations. And don't forget that pre-1837 marriage entries in the parish records will have witnesses' names, who often turn out to be family members (but beware the 'serial witnesses'!) Kate.

Lyn

Lyn Report 15 Sep 2005 13:35

I have recently received a photocopy of an ancestors marriage certificate for 1828. The marriage took place in Herts, so I contacted HALS and enquired. As I am in Australia, it cost me 5 pounds 80 pence. It gives the dates and the names of the two parties. Does not give names of parents, but does gives witnesses. The photcopy of the Parish register actually gives the identities of two other couples that married also. Hope this is some help................

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 15 Sep 2005 14:01

One of my ancestors married in 1744. He was a bachelor, a tailor, age and parish given. His bride was a spinster, age and parish given. The register notes just his Christian name, no surname - and gets the bride's christian name wrong. So where did I get the details? He married by licence and the allegation survives. It is always checking to see if you can find extra details like that, and always going back to the original records rather than relying on an index like the IGI.

Lynne

Lynne Report 15 Sep 2005 14:18

Thanks for the advice, although I will probably have to ask again when I am ready to start looking at parish records. I have a few more years to go before I retire and can spend time at record offices - LOL! Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Sep 2005 16:04

Hi everyone, Thanks for responding to my query:) It was the father and mother's names I was after. In one case I have found a possible father but no mother mentioned on the Christening of the child (IGI). Also found 4 children going back from 1766 to 1776 to a man with the same name as my man, but then 3 more children from 1802 to 1809. I think the earlier children must have belonged to someone else with the same name as I fear for the lady in question if she was giving birth for 40 years!! Margaret X

Angela

Angela Report 15 Sep 2005 18:24

If you have a problem getting to the records office (as I have) you can always contact them and ask them to look at the records and send you the details. You will have to pay a few pounds but it may be money well spent. If you bought a later certificate it would cost you £7 anyway.

Lynne

Lynne Report 15 Sep 2005 19:01

Angela Thanks for that info, I didn't know they would search for you. Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Sep 2005 19:55

Angela, do you mean the Parish Record Office. If so I wouldn't be able to get there as it is in Yorkshire, near to Barnsley. I wasn't aware that they would search for you, if so, that would be ideal for me. Margaret

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Sep 2005 23:01

Margaret Some LDS Family History Centres are open in the evenings or on Saturday (usually by appointment). If the LDS have filmed the Parish Register in question, you can order it for £2.70 and you can look at it at the LDS centre for free. As to what you will find on marriage registers: I have these two entries, one follows immediately after the other. Charles Green to Elizabeth Rigby,both of this Parish. Church witnesses. Daniel Green, bachelor (a wheelwright of Gawsworth and the third son of Mr Thomas Green Jnr, Farmer of Gawsworth) to Hannah Ryder a spinster of North Rode, the eldest daughter of Francis Ryder deceased, one time labourer at the Hall in North Rode.By Banns read on blah blah, and with permission of those the Law requires (telling me they were under 21) Witnesses: Thomas Green, Amy Green, Charles Green, Martha Bradhurst, Amy Thumpstone, Mary Ryder, John Ryder...and Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all - 14 witnesses in all.(And in fact, Charles and Daniel were brothers) So you see, you just cannot tell until you look! Olde Crone

Heather

Heather Report 16 Sep 2005 07:40

Some offices are brilliant- Tower Hamlets for one, will go to great lengths to find info for you, all free of charge by email. A couple of days ago I sent a mail to Surrey Records asking if they would have any info about my GGFx3 who was a licensed victualler at the Rose and Crown in 'Wimbledon village'. I thought they would send me a licencing ref or something. Yesterday I received a mail from them with the dates my GGFx3 was licensee of the tavern, then his wife (giving name) took over when he died. They looked up the local 1851 for me to list who else was at the tavern in that family. They gave me references and details from a book on the history of the tavern. They gave me details of the local parish church where he was buried. They gave me the email addy for the company who now owns the tavern. Isnt that incredible?! Not a penny exchanged hands. Bravo Surrey.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Sep 2005 11:19

Thanks for that info. Will give it a go today!! Margaret