Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone help ? Sorry to go on

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 17:40

I have a copy birth cert (from the GRO) of my gt grd father, the parents are shown as John Probert and Harriet Fereday. By 1861 she had became Harriet McGuire (as those who have helped me before will know). On the census records it shows her birthplace as Upton (on Severn I assume) born in approx 1823. Does anyone have access to the 1841 census for Worcs/Warks to try and find her. Thanks Matthew

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 17:42

give me 5

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 17:52

Found 13 females around 20 years old all variations of FEREDAY ,no Harriets.This search included Warks and Worcestershire. It seems to be a Staffordshire name.

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 17:53

Thanks for looking Matthew

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 17:57

Dont presume the Upton bit-there was a parish called Upton in both Warks and worcs. Also there is an Upton in Cheshire and probably many more. Also,unless you have evidence of her birth name,with no other middle names,I wouldnt be too rigid on harriet either-women are an unpredictable,and wholly unreliable species !!!

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 18:16

I get the Worcs bit from the later census records. Also a very helpful lady (Sheila) has informed that in 1851 John and Harriet are listed as follows: John PROBERT Head M 59 M Journeman Stamper of Gilt Toys Burmingham-Warwick Harriet PROBERT Wife M 33 F --- Upton-Worcester Sarah J. PROBERT Daur U 12 F --- Birmingham-Warwick Fanny PROBERT Daur - 11 F --- Birmingham-Warwick Emma PROBERT Daur - 4 F Scholar Birmingham-Warwick John PROBERT Son - 7 M Scholar Birmingham-Warwick Henry PROBERT Son - 5 M Scholar Birmingham-Warwick William PROBERT Son - 1 M --- Birmingham-Warwick Address: 5 House 1 Court Dale End, --- Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire So it was highly likely she was married anyway. Do you have anything on the 1841 census, again thanks in advance Matthew

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 18:22

no wonder i couldnt find her.......... now Im looking for harriet probert......give me 5

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 18:26

Sorry, if this is my Harriet I had no idea about the kids before Henry. I also notice Harriet had a little trouble remembering her age through her life, she never once aged 10 years between the census's (a little like my wife)

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 18:33

one entry only-but cant read the page very well-some pages have toomuch glare on them.1841 Census Harriet Probert 25 Thruxton Herefordshire Born OOC it seems that she married the old geezer when he must have already had the first 2 or 3 kids-see the gap in the ages of the kids.

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 18:41

Thanks for your help, he did well copping off with a 20 year old in his late forties, I hope it's a gene that that is strong in my family ;-)

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 18:43

As I suspected............. John Probert married harriet Fereday Dec 1843 Birmingham 16 421. John will have been her first child by him,after he only managed 2 daughters with the previous.

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 18:48

You're a star, where did you find that ??????

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 18:50

mmmmmmm free bmd ? :-)

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 18:56

I get 'no matches ' when I do a search ?

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 18:58

Second daughters birth by previous wife Fanny probert March 1840 Birmingham 16 [3_] 41 (image blurred) cert should give you other wifes name.

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 19:02

Better still first born Sarah Probert Dudley 18 291 September 1838

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 19:05

Well bu**er me with a pitchfork sideways.....there it is....never thought to look for Ferreday (extra R). Now you do realise this brings us back to where is she in 1841 ?????

Matthew

Matthew Report 18 Sep 2005 19:09

I hate show off's Seriously, have you got anything for John Probert Sarah Probert on the 1841 census. I really appreciate the help, thanks

The Ego

The Ego Report 18 Sep 2005 19:31

Theres only one entry that makes sense,but its a queer one-might tell you a few things................. ALL IN ONE HOUSE William 60 Ann 55 John 40 *** Thomas 29 Sarah *** Emma 5 Sarah 3*** Elizabeth 1(?) Ag labs all............Upcott,Herefordshire Parish=almeley

Matthew

Matthew Report 23 Oct 2005 18:21

Alter Ego, Just found this on the 1841 Census Folio 12 Page 17 Moor St,1,John Probert,40,,Porter,WAR, ,,Harriett Probert,,20,,Not in county, ,,Jane Probert,,3,,WAR, ,,Fanny Probert,,1,,WAR, Which would say to me something is wrong somewhere