Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice/help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christina

Christina Report 28 Sep 2005 20:56

Hi I have traced onemy rellies: Thomas G Potts (born 1845 in Dalston Cumberland) married 1867 to Margaret Turner (born in 1838 in Brough Cumberland) I am now trying to trace his father. I have Thomas and Margaret marriage certificate and this states that thomas father is called John and was living in Burgh by Sands Cumberland at the time of the wedding. How can I trace John - i.e. date of birth, marriage etc? I thought about ordering birth certificate for Thomas - will this give me any more info on his parents. I think I am having a mental block tonight so any help wold be appreciated Christina

The Bag

The Bag Report 28 Sep 2005 21:01

does 1861 census solve your problem?!! loking now, no it doesn't wrong fathers name! View Record Isaac Little abt 1861 Dalston, Cumberland, England Grand Step Son Dalston Cumberland View Record Sarah Little abt 1838 Dalston, Cumberland, England Stepdaughter Dalston Cumberland View Record Dinah Potts abt 1807 Keswick, Cumberland, England Wife Dalston Cumberland View Record Dinah Potts abt 1847 Dalston, Cumberland, England Daughter Dalston Cumberland View Record Elizabeth Potts abt 1842 Dalston, Cumberland, England Daughter Dalston Cumberland View Record Hannah Potts abt 1849 Dalston, Cumberland, England Daughter Dalston Cumberland View Record Isaac Potts abt 1781 Abbey, Cumberland, England Head Dalston Cumberland View Record Thomas Potts abt 1844 Dalston, Cumberland, England Son Dalston Cumberland

Christina

Christina Report 28 Sep 2005 21:05

Jess - I looked at that too - but wrong fathers name !! Any tips ? Christina

Debbie

Debbie Report 28 Sep 2005 21:08

Christina The best thing to do is work backwards in steps, so I reckon you need to order the son's birth cert. That will give you his mother as well as his farther, and with any luck, you will be able to match up the two parties' surnames and get a marriage cert. This should hopefully give you their ages in the year they got married, which should then lead to the farther's birth cert, and so on. Regards Debbie

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 28 Sep 2005 21:11

have you looked on 1871 census for John? There are about 4 or 5 John Potts in Cumberland that could be the one. John Potts abt 1811 Lanercost, Cumberland, England Head Bewcastle Cumberland John Potts abt 1839 Brampton, Cumberland, England Head Botchergate Cumberland John Potts abt 1800 Brampton, Cumberland, England Head Brampton Cumberland John Potts abt 1823 Brampton, Cumberland, England Head Brampton Cumberland John Potts abt 1839 Alston Moor, Cumberland, England Head Cleator Cumberland John Potts abt 1787 Kirkandrews, Cumberland, England Head Nichol Forest Cumberland John Potts abt 1834 Abbey Lan??colt, Cumberland, England Head Stoneraise Cumberland

June

June Report 28 Sep 2005 21:11

Hi Christina, Have you got his age right ? June

Christina

Christina Report 28 Sep 2005 21:16

I have checked my info - on Thomas marriage certificate it states he was 22 yrs old andhe married in 1867 so that makes his year of birth 1846. However on the 1871 census he is listed as being 25 yrs old making his birth year 1845. However - I am trying to find the birth on freebmd and cant find it! I am so confused!! Christina

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 28 Sep 2005 21:20

There are 3 Thomas Potts in 1844/5, on the 1881 his age is 37 therefore 1844 Surname First name(s) District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Sep 1844 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Potts Thomas Brampton 25 41 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Mar 1845 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- POTTS Thomas Brampton 25 4_ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Dec 1845 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Potts Thomas Cockermouth 25 85

Christina

Christina Report 28 Sep 2005 21:25

Little Caz - do you a copy of the image from 1881? I have a copy (albeit printed a while ago ) and that states his age as 34. Why is nothing ever easy? Christina

Christina

Christina Report 28 Sep 2005 21:40

Caz - thanks for your help - but I dont think this is the family I am looking for. Thomas and Margaret had children called Benjamin, Joseph Mary Ann and John Thomas. Thanks for looking though - do appreciate it. Christina

June

June Report 28 Sep 2005 21:46

Household Record 1881 British Census Search results | Download Previous Household Next Household -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Thomas POTTS Head M Male 34 Dolston Agricultural Labourer Margaret POTTS Wife M Female 42 Brough, Cumberland, England Wife Benjamin POTTS Son Male 12 Brough, Cumberland, England Scholar Joseph POTTS Son Male 10 Aikton, Cumberland, England Scholar Mary Ann POTTS Daur Female 6 Kirkbride, Cumberland, England Scholar John Thomas POTTS Son Male 4 W F Crosby On Eden, Cumberland, England Scholar -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling Crosby Moor Census Place Crosby On Eden, Cumberland, England Family History Library Film 1342243 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 5153 / 112 here they are June

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 28 Sep 2005 21:49

have you found Thomas on 1861? I have looked at him in 1871, his occupation is ag lab. There is a family on 1861 that might be the right one, John is a farmer, Thomas farmers son? but dob 1842. Robert Johnson abt 1844 Scotland Servant Bailey Cumberland Ann Potts abt 1819 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Wife Bailey Cumberland Ann Potts abt 1844 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Daughter Bailey Cumberland Elizabeth Potts abt 1856 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Daughter Bailey Cumberland Jane Potts abt 1860 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Daughter Bailey Cumberland John Potts abt 1811 Abbey Lanercost, Cumberland, England Head Bailey Cumberland John Potts abt 1858 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Son Bailey Cumberland Mary Potts abt 1854 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Daughter Bailey Cumberland Rosannah Potts abt 1852 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Daughter Bailey Cumberland Thomas Potts abt 1842 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Son Bailey Cumberland

Christina

Christina Report 28 Sep 2005 21:49

Thats them - thank you so much. Where is the best place to find the birth reference number for Thomas - so that I can order his birth certificate? Christina

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 28 Sep 2005 21:54

found this on IGI - just checking Freebmd, back in a sec THOMAS POTTS Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 30 MAY 1841 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: JOHN POTTS Family Mother: ANN -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: C036771 1813 - 1877 0364942 Film 6904624 Film Sheet: 00

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 28 Sep 2005 21:55

is it this one? Surname First name(s) District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1841 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Potts Thomas Longtown 25 1_0 only one listed 1841/2

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 28 Sep 2005 22:00

these are probably the brothers and sisters from IGI International Genealogical Index 1. MARY POTTS - International Genealogical Index - British Isles Gender: Female Christening: 23 JUN 1853 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England 2. ELIZABETH POTTS - International Genealogical Index - British Isles Gender: Female Christening: 13 MAY 1855 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England 3. JOHN POTTS - International Genealogical Index - British Isles Gender: Male Christening: 28 JUN 1857 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England 4. ROSANNA POTTS - International Genealogical Index - British Isles Gender: Female Christening: 01 JUN 1851 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England 5. THOMAS POTTS - International Genealogical Index - British Isles Gender: Male Christening: 30 MAY 1841 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England 6. ANN POTTS - International Genealogical Index - British Isles Gender: Female Christening: 14 JAN 1844 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England 7. JANE POTTS - International Genealogical Index - British Isles Gender: Female Christening: 29 APR 1860 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England

Christina

Christina Report 28 Sep 2005 22:01

Caz - i believe the family that June found is the one I am looking for. Just need to find his birth ref so I can order the certificate. Not sure about the 1861 one - not sure where Bewcastle is - wonder if it is near to Dalston Christina

Anne

Anne Report 28 Sep 2005 22:07

Bewcastle is not very near Dalston. Although both are in north Cumberland it waqs a very big county! I would guess about 20 miles approx. Anne