Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CHRISTINE NEWMAN

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karl

Karl Report 14 Oct 2005 23:44

Can anyone do a search for me on this one? Christine Newman birth required, She married Leslie Samuel Simms. 80% sure she was born in swindon, wiltshire she was born between 1905 and 1925, she had several sons, had around 7 kids i think called, peter, patrick, perry can't remember the rest.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 14 Oct 2005 23:45

Have a look on Familyrelatives up to 1920. She might be there. Again, you will probably need their marriage to find out when she was born.

Merry

Merry Report 14 Oct 2005 23:45

NO You do it. Sorry. Merry

Karl

Karl Report 14 Oct 2005 23:45

Found Christine Annie Newman born 1910 in chipping norton, found this on family relatives seconds ago, could be the one, maybe not!

Karl

Karl Report 14 Oct 2005 23:46

Don't talk to me like that merry, i'd appreciate it if you kept your comments to yourself, sorry i'm 23 years old and completley new to this, don't bother getting involved or posting on my posts if your going to be funny, thank you very much.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 14 Oct 2005 23:47

Start with when the first son was born, and go back a couple of years. If you can't find a marriage there, work forwards until you do. This is the ONLY way you will find her.

Karl

Karl Report 14 Oct 2005 23:50

The one i found must be the correct one sounds about right to me 1910, searched from 1895 to 1925 and only 1 found and i think it's right.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Oct 2005 23:53

Sorry Karl but you seem to ask look ups that cost others money!! You can look these up yourself ,but you need to cough up , Respect Shirley

Karl

Karl Report 14 Oct 2005 23:54

I've spent over £20 today on 1837 online.com and family relatives and because i'm struggling to find things i am asking for some help!

The Bag

The Bag Report 14 Oct 2005 23:54

Karl its just getting a bit beyond funny,you keep posting request that cost money for other people to do for you. its not pennies either. you know the costs involved- you will have to spend some money if you want to persue this hobby jess

Karl

Karl Report 14 Oct 2005 23:54

I won't bother in future if people are going to be funny about it like you and merry!!!!

Karl

Karl Report 14 Oct 2005 23:55

Keep your opinion's to yourself jess dog!! i don't appreciate it i have spent alot of money this week, it's not as if i haven't spent anything!!!!

Anne

Anne Report 14 Oct 2005 23:58

Karl, you could do all these lookups on the GRO index for free in your nearest big library, or archive. Anne

Smiley

Smiley Report 15 Oct 2005 00:03

Here is her husbands death, giving you his date of birth. Christine was probably around the same age. Is she still living? Name: Leslie Samuel Simms Death Year: [1989] Age: 69 Birth Date: 8 Oct 1919 Death Registration Month/Year: Feb 1989 Registration District: Swindon Inferred County: Wiltshire Inferred Country: England

Karl

Karl Report 15 Oct 2005 00:05

Thanks smiley, the christine newman i found in 1910 is a real possibility!

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Oct 2005 00:11

Karl You are rather rude and ungrateful I think. The REGULAR helpers on this Board have gone to a lot of time and expense on your behalf and do not appear to have received much, if any, thanks.They do not have to do this for you, and are entitled to get annoyed! Although I fail to see how telling you to do it for yourself can be construed as rude! You are, like most newbies, trying to run before you can walk. I appreciate that you are new to this hobby, so may I suggest that you take a little time to familiarise yourself with the logical steps you have to take to get anything useful out of it. If you scroll down the Home Page, you will find a link which says 'Getting Started' and there are various useful threads on this, and the Records Board. Threatening to 'not bother' doesn't cut much ice with the rest of us - why should anyone on here care whether or not you do your family history??!!! Olde Crone

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Oct 2005 00:22

Karl, I agree with everything the others have said on here. No one minds doing the odd look-up for you or anyone else when it is a one or two year search (I do this quite often myself). However you are asking people to spend anything from 40p upwards per year (more if it's a name with lots of entries) so asking for someone to look from 1905 to 1925 could cost someone more than £8 This is YOUR hobby, so you have to pace yourself and stick to what you can afford, and do what had been suggested when you can't afford it - go to the library and do your checks there for nothing. Your family tree is something that will take you years to research - not a few weeks. Being rude on the boards won't win you many friends. Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Oct 2005 00:31

Olde Crone!! Hear hear! Sorry Karl but you are out of order. The members here are arent profesional geneologists. we all start from the same launching pad. some of us have paid to join sites and having reserched our own families are only too happy to offer to search the sites for others,this is saving money to those who havent subcribed. To be rude to those who have got a little short with your requests because you dont seem to grasped the facts is just not on.!!! Shirley

Merry

Merry Report 15 Oct 2005 08:31

I appreciate that you have spent a lot of money and have not found what you are looking for and that this is very frustrating for you.............. The difference is that you have spent the money looking for your OWN rellies....but you are expecting others to spend THEIR money on YOUR tree........ Yes, I was cross when I saw yet another post asking for a wide band of lookups yet again last night....I don't deny it and I'm sorry if you didn't like what I said. I wouldn't have said anything, but you don't seem to take any notice when people have politely requested that you tell them EXACTLY which years/quarters you have searched for a particular entry and on what site and with what search criteria. People do not want to spend their own money looking at exactly the same pages you have already looked at. Surely you see that? You need to post one sensible request....get a proper conclusion to it, decide whether you need to buy the certificate or whatever, before you move on to the next thing. Don't be in such a rush!! Doing your tree should take decades!! Read other people's threads and see what sorts of things they are asking for. Good Luck with your research, but don't forget - It is supposed to be YOUR research, with maybe a little guidance from others! If you use this site in a more sensible way you could get SO much more from it......there are SOOO many people itching to help others, but they need your help to make their search easier....... Merry

Trudy

Trudy Report 15 Oct 2005 09:34

Sorry Karl Can't agree more with Merry, Crone etc. No-one minds doing a couple of years look up with the correct names, an area and as much other info as you can give. I must admit, I didn't even bother looking at your threads yesterday because they were asking for such a wild range of names/dates that it would have ended up costing me vast sums that I could spend quite easily on my own tree!! As Merry says, this hobby takes years, not days - I started over a year ago, now have approx 250 people on my tree - all of them verified via certificates etc. - start with the living and work backwards generation by generation - when you get stuck on one line, go back to another and gradually you will learn the best ways to search and the best site for 'this' or 'that' information. I have just come back to the original line that I was 'stuck' on about 11 months ago (the first line I tried) - I couldn't get back more than three generations - with the skills I have learned in the last year I finally managed to find my 6xg grandfather on this line last night - so it can be done. Just try a little patience, and before posting type your message out in Word (or similar), then before posting re-read it to make sure it says what it needs to and that all the facts are there, this way people will be more likely to help. Good luck with your search. Trudy