Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's the occupation?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 12 Nov 2005 22:02

I wonder if someone can decipher a name and occupation on 1851 census for me - I must be going blind. The daughter is Mary Anelia patrick (should be Amelia, buts the census is wrong). She was born in 1850, Deptford, Kent. Can anyone tell me what her fathers occupation was and is her mothers middle name really Stippenster. Thanks everyone

Merry

Merry Report 12 Nov 2005 22:07

Occ looks like Ice Porter........ Name....ummmmm! Merry

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2005 22:07

Oh dear, looks like Stippenster to me. First glance I thought dad was Inspector. Harder look and it looks like Ice Porter - was there such a job???? Oh great Merry, you thought the same, I thought I was being a bit loopy.

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 12 Nov 2005 22:09

Could the occupation start with a J - just a thought

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson*

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 12 Nov 2005 22:09

Father's occupation looks like 'Inspector', but does say what of. Haven't a clue on Mother's middle name. Joy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Nov 2005 22:09

The mother's middle name looks like Hippenstal to me, the first letter looks the same as the first letter of Henry on the line beneath. Not sure about father's occupation - could be Innkeeper? or Importer? Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2005 22:10

I think the middle name looks like Sripenstone, but who knows?! The occupation is a facer too - looks a bit like Inspector? nell

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2005 22:12

MM, possibly Stippensted? Have another look Nell, I thought that at first look, magnify it and it looks like Ice Porter.

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 12 Nov 2005 22:12

Thanks everyone, Inspector looks like the most likly, of what we'll never know. Maybe the middle name is her maiden name. Cant find a marriage for them but Henry Patrick is sooo common.

Carol

Carol Report 12 Nov 2005 22:14

Looks like Ice porter for the occupation, but more like Slippensloe for the name - but that's not much better than Stippenster, is it? Carol

Merry

Merry Report 12 Nov 2005 22:18

When I said Ice Porter (which I still think it is!!) - I was also taking in to account their address - 46 Canal Row, and the fact that all the children are born in different places......So, I think he was a boatman, at least some of the time, and at this time in his life may have left the boats to live on dry land, but was still involved with the transportation and delivery of goods - in this case Ice! Merry

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2005 22:18

Elizabeth is a widow 10 years later and doesnt have the weird middle name. Im with Merry, this isnt inspector it is def two words and it looks like ice porter to me. Not casting aspersions on your ancestors but any 'Inspector' would have been a classier job than the surrounding neighbours have!

Merry

Merry Report 12 Nov 2005 22:20

I looked for a remarriage or death for Elizabeth, having found her as a widow in 1861 and not being able to find her easily in 1871.......Couldn't see one with a funny name!! Did she and Henry marry???????I cannot see a likely entry?? Maybe that funny word was her maiden name added in because she wasn't legally married???? Unlikely but worth a thought! Merry

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 12 Nov 2005 22:24

I cant find a marriage for them either. I am interested in Mary Amelia who went on to marry Charles Frederick Allstrum in 1868. I cant find a birth for Mary either but will keep looking as that will give me her parents names.

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2005 22:32

Cant you buy one of the kids birth certs to get the name?

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 12 Nov 2005 22:37

Yep , I'll get any of the other certs and let everyone know what I find. Thanks for all the help everyone

Merry

Merry Report 12 Nov 2005 22:37

The only one I can find a decent birth reg match for is: Births Sep 1845 Patrick Ann Eliza Greenwich 5 209 Merry

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 12 Nov 2005 22:40

Thanks Merry, saves me looking. I'll order that one.

Debbie

Debbie Report 17 Mar 2008 16:14

Hya I have a Mary Amelia Allstrum born 1851, who was a Sailors wife, she was born in Deptford Kent, married to Charles Frederick, they had five children Ann, Charles,John,Arthur and Ada.

Is this the same family?

Many thanks Debbie OSborn

Dea

Dea Report 17 Mar 2008 19:15

This thread is more than 2 years old - the answer may have been found by now ?????

Dea Xxx