Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census medical disabilities

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barrie

Barrie Report 16 Nov 2005 00:12

In the 1881 census an ancestor of mine is shown with 'Handicap:7' What does this mean?

Tillot

Tillot Report 16 Nov 2005 00:28

Hi, How old is your ancestor? My initial thought was maybe he or she became handicapped at the age of 7? Can't think what else! Good Luck!

Barrie

Barrie Report 16 Nov 2005 00:32

Helen He was 69 Regards Barrie

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Nov 2005 09:35

Barrie I have had one who was handicapped 3 years but it said years after the 3, is there a y or anything after the 7? Georgina.

The Bag

The Bag Report 16 Nov 2005 09:38

Barrie - have you the ref no that starts RG.... ? or the name? then we can look at the specific image, rather than try and generalise Jess x

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 16 Nov 2005 09:53

Is the number after handicap a category/code number? I have some on other census dates, and those actually state the nature of the disability e.g deaf, lost use down one side etc

Barrie

Barrie Report 16 Nov 2005 11:07

Georgina and Janet-thank you. The note is exactly as I have shown above Jess-the reference is 'RG11 piece 2836 Folio 54 page 16' Hope this helps Regards Barrie

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Nov 2005 11:22

Barrie if it is Nathaniel Cooper you are talking about I dont think it is Handicapped I think it says Hamps as in Hampshire. Georgina.

Sue

Sue Report 16 Nov 2005 11:24

I agree Georgina - definately a reference to the county he was born

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Nov 2005 11:35

Yes, it's definitely an abbreviation for Hampshire. Kath. x

Barrie

Barrie Report 16 Nov 2005 11:44

Georgina Sue and Kathleen It is Nathaniel.yes. My printout refers to 'Hampshire' (incidentally that is wrong as it should be Staffordshire) and then shows 'Handicap:7' Regards Barrie

Merry

Merry Report 16 Nov 2005 11:50

The enumerators checker has written ''Hamp'' because he must have thought the place of birth said either Litchfield or Titchfield, which are both in Hampshire. He should have left well alone, shouldn't he?!! I assume your was born in Lichfield, Staffs? Merry

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 16 Nov 2005 11:53

Yes - the disability column is always on the extreme right of the enumeration page, AFTER the place of birth column.

Merry

Merry Report 16 Nov 2005 12:25

Barry, If you would like a copy of the original page, please send me a PM. merry

Barrie

Barrie Report 16 Nov 2005 12:54

Merry Yes it was Lichfield Staffs. Thanks for the offer-but what is a 'PM'! Regards Barrie

Merry

Merry Report 16 Nov 2005 13:00

Sorry Barrie! (was eating my lunch!) Please send me a Personal Message (by clicking on my name) and let me know your email address, so I can send you the image.... Merry

Barrie

Barrie Report 16 Nov 2005 20:22

Just to report that Merry mm has kindly corresponded with me and we agree that 'Hamps' has somehow become 'Handicap:7 Thanks to all who responded to my posting' Barrie

The Bag

The Bag Report 16 Nov 2005 20:30

There you go Barry - you could have landed yourself a wayward disabled rellie- Good job someone looked! Jess