Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wedding certificate problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 15:00

I ordered a wedding cert to verify the bride’s father’s name. Have just received it, but the name I am after is eligible. I have phoned the reg office, but although they were very polite they could not help. Any suggestions please

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Nov 2005 15:05

How about going back to the district where they were married & try to see the parish record. These must be available thro the local register office, Shirley

BrianW

BrianW Report 21 Nov 2005 15:06

Post the names, date and the church on here and maybe someone will be able to look at the original parish record.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 21 Nov 2005 15:06

Was it from the GRO or the local office? You could always buy the cert again from the other office, whichever one is that - hopefully they will have a clearer copy (remember that the GRO registers were hand-copied from the local registry office registers). It would mean spending another £7 though... Another option (if it was a church wedding) would be to look at the parish register for the church at the local records office or LDS centre, if they have it. Richard

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 15:06

Unfortunately they married in Worcs and I live in Devon

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 15:09

This is the second cert I have for them, both bad. The marriage was between John Michael Delaney and Eliza Hill at Old Swinford Worcs on 22.01.1859

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 21 Nov 2005 15:12

What date was the marriage? Can you use the census to confirm her father's name? Did she give an address on the cert? Have you found the witnesses on the census?

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 15:19

unfortunately I have not been able to verify her on the 1841 census, there were a number of eliza hills in old swinford, I think her fathers name could be joseph, but I want to be sure before I say it definately is

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 21 Nov 2005 15:20

Could you ring the record offce where the duplicate marriage register is kept, explain the situation and ask them to look for you? Or write to them, enclosing a photocopy of the cert you have received, and ask them if they can interpret, or send you a photocopy of their document, if it will produce a readable entry? Jay

Merry

Merry Report 21 Nov 2005 15:23

Is this them in 1861? Eliza Delany abt 1827 Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England Wife Stourbridge Worcestershire John Delany abt 1823 Ireland Head Stourbridge Worcestershire John Delany abt 1859 Wredsley, Staffordshire, England Son Stourbridge Worcestershire Sarah Ann Delany abt 1856 Wredsley, Staffordshire, England Daughter Stourbridge Worcestershire Rose Hussella abt 1836 Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England Lodger Stourbridge Worcestershire Thomas Hussella abt 1836 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Stourbridge Worcestershire Nearest in 1851 for Eliza(beth) Hill born in Old Swinford is this one: Benjamin Hill abt 1793 Oldswinford, Worcestershire, England Head Wollescote Worcestershire Elizabeth Hill abt 1829 Oldswinford, Worcestershire, England Daughter Wollescote Worcestershire Hannah Hill abt 1833 Oldswinford, Worcestershire, England Daughter Wollescote Worcestershire Margaret Hill abt 1799 Ireland Wife Wollescote Worcestershire Could the name be Benjamin, or a shortened form?? Is the father's surname Hill, or could she have been married previously? Merry

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 15:23

After speaking to the office there is'nt a readable copy. I am really disapointed.

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 15:26

Thank you merry, but I thought elizas mother was ann, perhaps I will have to have a re think

Merry

Merry Report 21 Nov 2005 15:29

Do you mean you thought she was this one? ELIZA HILL Christening: 25 SEP 1825 Old Swinford, Worcester, England Parents: Mother: ANN HILL Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. and so the father's name is going to probably be a different surname?? Maybe you need to access the original baptism entries.....if you saw the above bap in the register it might say, ''Reputed Father..........'' Merry

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 15:38

I understood her parents were ann and possibly joseph, but I wanted to confirm that it was joseph

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 21 Nov 2005 16:19

Lynda you haven't said where you got the cert from. As Richard says the (2) originals are with the Church/ Records Office and the District Registrar and the transcription with GRO. They are NOT the same during this period. You would be very unlucky if both were unreadable. Bob

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 21 Nov 2005 16:33

Got the certs from the GRO.

Jenny

Jenny Report 21 Nov 2005 17:13

Hello Lynda, I too received a really poor copy of a cert. Like you I rang the office, I'd ordered online from a link on 1837online. The woman said this was a problem sometimes and if it can't be understood then I should write in sending a copy of the cert and they have people there who will either rephotocopy it again or if its really bad they would transcribe it for me. Send in the reference sheet that comes with it as well. It's worth a try instead of having to fork out again. Jenny

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 21 Nov 2005 17:28

All the Worcs districts are here http://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/home/wccindex/wcc-mas/wcc-mas-registration-copy-certificates.htm If you don't know you can send them all an email asking if they cover old swinford. When you get the right one you can ring them for a copy as you know the exact date. You can also ask if they can give you a photocopy of the original. (a lot do and some will if you ask) Golden rule, GRO don't hold ANY originals. Bob