Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm running out of ideas---help!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 16:17

I'm looking for William Wallis born Portsea 1843.he is missing from 71,81 and 91 and i'm running out of ways to change his name incase it was transcribed incorrectly. any ideas?????

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2005 16:19

Hold on, I'll see if I can find the blighter! Any idea about what he did, who he married? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2005 16:22

Is this his birth? Wallis, William Record Type: Births Quarter: September Year: 1843 District: Portsea Island County: Hampshire Volume: 7 Page: 132 If so, do you have his birth cert? Portsea Island reg district includes Portsea Island Created 1st July 1837. Abolished 1st April 1900 (renamed Portsmouth). Sub-district : Kingston; Kingston and Landport; Landport; Landport and Southern; Portsea Town; Portsmouth Town GRO volumes : VII (1837-51); 2b (1852-1899). Great Salterns, Portsea, Portsmouth. Registers now divided between South East Hampshire and Portsmouth districts. so he might be listed as being born in one of these places as opposed to Portsea. nell

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Nov 2005 16:22

Is this him? William WALLIS - 1881 British Census / Hampshire Head Gender: Male Birth: <1844> Portsmouth William WALLIS Head M Male 37 Portsmouth Second Hand Clothes Shop (Old Clothes) Phoebe Jane WALLIS Wife M Female 30 Portsmouth William WALLIS Son Male 6 Southampton Scholar Ellen Jane WALLIS Daur Female 5 Southampton Scholar Gertrude Louisa WALLIS Daur Female 4 Southampton Scholar Albert Edward WALLIS Son Male 3 Southampton Scholar Athur Thomas WALLIS Son Male 2 Southampton James Henry WALLIS Other Male 11 m Southampton Elizabeth SIMMONS Serv Female 15 Southampton Servant Lucy MILBURN Serv Female 13 Southampton St Denys Nurse Dom -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 72 & 71 Upper Canal Walk Census Place Southampton All Sts, Hampshire, England Family History Library Film 1341297 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1213 / 114 Page Number 14

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 16:23

he supposedly married Sarah Young but i can't find that.he may have been in Bristol in 1871.but he isn't the William Wallis on the census married to Pheobe.IN 1901 he is William Wallace living in Portsmouth workhouse ta

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2005 16:25

Can you post his 1861 details to help? nell

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 16:26

i have his birth cert, he is William Walliss on that. i've tried Wallis,Walliss,Wallace,Hallis,Hollis,Mallis,Mollis,the list is endless. there is another William Wallis born in the same year but my William was born 30may 1843.his middle name was James,i've even searched for him by that

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 16:27

Hi Ann, no thats not him,ooh how i wish it was. will get out 1861 details,give me a min

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2005 16:32

Where EXACTLY does his birth cert say he was born? nell

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 16:38

30 MAY 1843 Green Lane,Southsea. can't find 1861 notes but this is them on 51; James Walliss 43 dealer Esther 40 dealers wife James son 19 dealer Esther 18 dau servant Johanna dau 14servant Elizabeth dau 12 William J 8 son Eliza dau 2 will try to find 61 notes

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2005 16:42

Being so near the sea, is it possible he was a sailor and away on census night? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2005 16:44

Or he may have changed his name? nell

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 16:44

ok heres 61 69 Somers RD James Wallis dealer Esther wife Mariah dau 19 William 17 dealer Eliza 11 Thomas 8 Emily 4

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 16:46

he wasn't a sailor,on his sons birth cert(1872) it says hes a costermonger.that was in Bristol. i had thought he may have changed his name but what to and where do i begin???????

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2005 19:13

thanks for the tips guys, i don't think i want to look in that site,i think i'll go hide K

Barbara

Barbara Report 22 Nov 2005 20:51

What is his sons name the one born in 1872? Have you looked for his son on the 1881 census? Have you found his son? Did he have any more children that might be on the 1881 census? how old was he on the 1901 census and what does that say where he was born? and what was his occupation on the 1901 census? Barbara

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 22 Nov 2005 23:06

Hi I vaguely remember the search for William Wallis, but not all its details. Could you post what you have from certificates, to give us a few ideas? If William was in the workhouse in 1901, it might be worth looking to see if any workhouse records survive: they might provide a clue to William's past. You say that William can't be married to Phoebe. Dealer, costermonger and dealer in second-hand clothes all sound very similar occupations: you are selling what you can, when you can. If you can't find William on the later censuses, is there anything to prevent him living a double life, or Phoebe dying and Sarah taking over?

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 23 Nov 2005 10:39

ok everyone this is what i know, William's son was Ambrose Wallis born 1872 in Clifton Bristol. in 1881 Ambrose is living in Portsmouth with his aunt,Elizabeth Sansbury.(one of Williams sisters).in 1901 William is an inmate at the Workhouse and it says he was born in Somers Rd,Portsea.Now William wasn't born in Somers Rd,but his family were there from 161 census onwards.I've checked for a death for Sarah Wallis and also in her maiden name but nothing . I have been to the records office and checked the admissions and discharges for the workhouse and William was in and out of there a few times. I suppose that he could have led a double life,the only way i'll find out i suppose is by getting the marriage cert for William and Pheobe. thanks for all your help everyone, K