Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just Can't Find This Man!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 30 Nov 2005 11:05

Am having real problems trying to find Emanuel Cox. He was born in Exeter Devon 1830. Mother: Mary Ann Father: John Sister: Mary Ann Have him in 1851 census living with his mother but no sign of the father and the mother is not listed as widowed. His sister is married and living in Wiltshire. Cannot find him again until 1901 census when he is in St Giles workhouse London aged 70 and a widower. His occupation is down as Tailor in both census. Cannot find any trace of him in the intervening census or a marriage for him. Is now driving me mad as have been searching for weeks!! Has anyone any ideas what i can do now. Thankyou Cathy

Heather

Heather Report 30 Nov 2005 11:20

Just a thought, Ive had a tailor who was working as a tailor with the army - perhaps this is the case with your guy?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Nov 2005 11:21

Just for reference 1851 Name: Emanuel Cox Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1830 Relation: Son Gender: Male Where born: Exeter, Devon, England Civil parish: Exeter St Mary Arches County/Island: Devon Country: England Source information: HO107/1869 Registration district: Exeter Sub-registration district: St David ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Folio: 258 Page: 8 Household schedule number: 25 GSU Number: 221017 Mary Ann Cox abt 1798 Brixton, Devon, England Head

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 30 Nov 2005 11:27

Hi if that was the case, that he was a tailor in the army how could i find out. That would explain why i can't find him. Thankyou Glitterbaby for the reference that is correct, did'nt think to put it up. Really dont know where to go from here and how to find a marriage. Have searched on Ancestry and Familysearch. This man and his sister (my 4xgreat grandmother) have caused me no end of problems !!

HeatherinLeicestershire

HeatherinLeicestershire Report 30 Nov 2005 11:29

And in 1841 census Parish - St Mary Arches Exeter,Devon Mary Arches Street, HO 107/267/2/ John Cox/41/plasterer/ born in county mary a/42/b in c mary a/13/b in c emanuel/9/b in c Heather

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 30 Nov 2005 11:39

Thankyou did'nt have the family in 1841 census so that is fab. i have come to the conclusion must be doing something wrong to have lost them over 40 years except for the sister Mary!!!

HeatherinLeicestershire

HeatherinLeicestershire Report 30 Nov 2005 11:43

They will be there somewhere Catherine, most probably mistranscribed. Keep searching, you will find them one day ! All the best Heather

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 30 Nov 2005 11:51

Thankyou all for your help and its onwards and upwards! Cathy

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 30 Nov 2005 13:34

As an aside, I presume you've already found this in the IGI? 1. EMANUEL COX - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 21 OCT 1830 Saint Mary Arches, Exeter, Devon, England Batch C050991 Parents: John COX & Mary Ann. Christine

Merry

Merry Report 30 Nov 2005 14:03

I think this is his marriage: 1851 Q2 St Thomas Vol 10 page 447 Name Emanul COX (yes, spelled wrong!) Please could someone else verify the vol and page number, as it's slightly foggy.......If you view on FreeBMD (as I did) the Image number is 1851M2-C-0394 Merry

Merry

Merry Report 30 Nov 2005 14:46

I wonder is this is his wife and two sons: Caroline Cox abt 1836 Exeter Head St Mary Major Devon Emmanuel Cox abt 1852 London, England Son St Mary Major Devon James Cox abt 1862 London, England Son St Mary Major Devon (1871 census). Caroline is recorded as married and a laundress. Merry

HeatherinLeicestershire

HeatherinLeicestershire Report 30 Nov 2005 14:48

Just checked the above ref, the corner on the first 4 is missing but it is I'm sure it is a 4. vol - x page- 447 Heather

Merry

Merry Report 30 Nov 2005 14:49

Re my last post.....maybe not. She is listed as a widow in 1881. Mind you, maybe if Emanuel senr went on a ''walk about'' sometime after the children were born, and forgot to return.....Caroline might class herself as a widow........not knowing where EC was???? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 30 Nov 2005 14:54

Thanks Heather! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 30 Nov 2005 15:26

I wonder if this is the birth of the first son? Name: Cox, Emanuel James William Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1852 District: St James Westminster County: London Middlesex Volume: 1a Page: 311 Merry

Merry

Merry Report 30 Nov 2005 15:28

Looks as if they had a daughter too: CAROLINE ELIZABETH COXE Christening: 10 OCT 1855 Saint Thomas Regent Street, Westminster, London, England Age at Christening: 1 Parents: Father: EMMANUEL COXE Family Mother: CAROLINE Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 30 Nov 2005 15:30

Maybe the baby girl died? Name: Cox, Caroline Record Type: Deaths Quarter: December Year: 1855 District: St James Westminster County: London Middlesex Volume: 1a Page: 241 No middle name on that one though...... Merry

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 30 Nov 2005 16:31

Hi everyone have just come back in and was so excited to see all the info you have found. Yes i had found Emanuel's christening on the IGI but that was it. Thankyou all so much for your time and effort very much appreciated. Will now check out all that you have found. Cathy xx