Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone know what 'Sp.' stands for?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hazel

Hazel Report 3 Dec 2005 16:46

I have just received the copy of a Family Tree hand-written many years ago by a long since dead cousin of my Mother's. I'll have to explain a bit of my tree to give the idea of my problem! Viz. My 3x Gt. Grandfather Joseph BLACK, married Mary Ladzrie/Lazzari in 1822 and had 4 children. Mary's brother, Paul, married and had at least 4 children and at least two children married their cousins. Now, under each Black child there is Sp. and two names, one male, one female and either one of them is a Lazzari but not necessarily the name of the spouse, and anyway they didn't ALL marry Lazzaris! I had originally thought it stood for 'spouse' but apparently not! Does anyone have any ideas - it's driving me nuts??!! Thanks in advance! Hazel

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 3 Dec 2005 16:51

Spelling? Pat

Hazel

Hazel Report 3 Dec 2005 17:01

Hi Pat, Don't think so....was wondering if their all being Roman Catholics may have anything to do with it? Hazel

Jean

Jean Report 3 Dec 2005 17:54

Hi Hazel, could it be for sponsor? as in god parent?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 3 Dec 2005 18:04

If the couple did not have children, sp could stand for sans proles (spelling?) - without children.

Wicksy

Wicksy Report 3 Dec 2005 22:21

I reckon I've seen it before and i'm pretty sure it means spinster

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Dec 2005 23:04

It certainly means Spinster in the Allegations for Licences lists - along with ''b'' for bachelor. Christine

Kate

Kate Report 3 Dec 2005 23:16

You are sure it says 'sp' and not 'gp' are you? (if gp it could be godparents, as somebody suggested above). Kate.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Dec 2005 23:36

Reading the header again, more carefully, it does sound like sp = ''sponsor'', which is just another name for ''godparent''. Christine

Hazel

Hazel Report 3 Dec 2005 23:59

Hello - sorry I abandoned the board! Jean, you don't sound in a muddle to me - I am pretty sure you are right. Checking again carefully I find that all the Lazzaris mentioned are brothers or sisters of Mary so that would seem to be the most logical answer, especially as there is a lady mentioned who is definitely not the spouse of the Lazzari with whom she is paired under the Black child. Thank you all very much for your input! Hazel

Jean

Jean Report 4 Dec 2005 13:12

Hazel, it would make a change for me to be right!!! It is usually me asking for help, but your question rang a bell somewhere. I always look to see if I know the answer to queries on these boards but if I do it has already been answered. What would we do without all the very helpful people on here? I'm not including me in that catergory , I have been helped by so many. Good hunting Jean

Geoff

Geoff Report 4 Dec 2005 13:37

If they were catholics, they would be sponsors at baptisms.

Hazel

Hazel Report 4 Dec 2005 13:50

Hi Jean, You were right this time you see! Also confirmed by Geoff. Thank you. On this written tree, my Mother's cousin also lamented the RC habit of adding a Christian Name at Confirmation making identification far more difficult - Births Certs. not matching Marriage Certs. and so on! Thank you all again for your help. Hazel

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 Dec 2005 14:19

Hi, dsp means died without issue could it be that sp means had issue? Gwynne

Hazel

Hazel Report 4 Dec 2005 14:37

'Fraid not! d.s.p. is actually died sans prole - so if you take the 'died' away you are still left 'sans prole' - without issue! Hazel

Jean

Jean Report 4 Dec 2005 18:14

Hi Hazel, Well that is a first for me, delighted to get something right for once. Should put a red star on my pc. lol Jean

Hazel

Hazel Report 4 Dec 2005 18:57

Hi Jean, Here you are - * * * * * five stars!!!! (Sorry I can't make them red for you!) Keep it up! Hazel

Jean

Jean Report 4 Dec 2005 19:31

Thank you kind lady !!! Jean