Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Worth checking familysearch IGI again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 20 Dec 2005 14:44

Dont know if they have recently done their 6 weeks cycle stuff but just found an 1819 marriage which I am sure wasnt there last time I looked.

Gigi

Gigi Report 20 Dec 2005 15:27

What's their 6 week cycle? Gillian

Elaine

Elaine Report 20 Dec 2005 15:38

Re: The 6 week cycle - A GR member recently posted the following: In preparation for my first visit to Shropshire Archives, I have been doing my homework and reading the useful information on their website. This is a quote from their on-line leaflet about the transcripts and indexes they have: “Part of the IGI also appears on the website at www.familysearch(.)org. Due to licensing laws the information on the website is only 1/3 of that available on CD Rom. This is rotated over a 2-6 week cycle.” Am not sure if this only applies to Shropshire, or other counties as well. Recently I found some Shropshire ancestors that I am sure were not there last time I looked!!

Gigi

Gigi Report 20 Dec 2005 15:46

Oh OK. Gillian

Brit

Brit Report 20 Dec 2005 17:25

Thanks Heather, I will try them again for some of mine!! Maggie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Dec 2005 18:19

I stayed behind at work to get an internet fix and yes, you're right. (I think that they regularly upload huge chunks of data, tho they don't advertise the fact. Shadrack Skillings (one of those fairly uncommon names) is there. I did a double take when I read his birthplace, tho. Birmingham, Warwick? The man scarcely strayed from Norfolk all his life. Some fellow researcher, thinking to be helpful by filling in all the boxes, didn't quite understand the local misspelling of Brinningham. Grrr. There should be a law against entering details off censuses.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Dec 2005 19:03

I regularly (about once a month) check the IGI - I don't know if its this rotation thing or what, but I often find stuff I couldn't find before. I did wonder at one point whether it was with-holding info from me, as I would search using the same parameters I had used before, but instead of getting 136 results, would only get 2! Olde Crone

Kate

Kate Report 20 Dec 2005 19:18

I think the 6 week thing must be peculiar to Shropshire, because none of my rellies have done this disappearing and reappearing act. Kate.

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 20 Dec 2005 20:22

Hi No, the 6 week thing isn't specific to Shropshire. It was me who posted the bit about it when I saw it on the Shropshire Archives site, and when I actually visited the Archives I asked about it. I guess that if you always find them then you must just happen to look at a time that it is their 'turn' to be on-line. This roatation only applies to the on-line IGI. Places like libraries or county records offices, and of course the LDS Family History Centres, have the IGI on a CD-Rom, and that is the full version so all the info is there all the time. It's only when you rely on what is on the website that you get the rotation of information. It was quite a relief when I discovered this, as I was becoming increasingly convinced that I was going senile! Tina

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Dec 2005 20:39

does that mean that if we buy the cd from familysearch we will get lots more records.............if so I need to revise my christmas list sandie

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 20 Dec 2005 22:39

Hi Sandie. Yes. If you buy the CD-Rom you get the lot all at once. Of course, you get the lot on the website as well, just not all at the same time, and it does get a bit confusing having to keep going back to check if g-g-g-g aunt maud's marriage has appeared yet. I keep forgetting who I have checked and who I haven't, and how long ago it was that I checked! When I find one now, I print it off right away, in case it has disappeared next time I want it! Tina

Heather

Heather Report 20 Dec 2005 22:41

Does anyone know how much these cds are then? Ive had a look: British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd Edition The British Isles Vital Records Index (2nd Edition) on compact disc contains information from birth, christening, and marriage records from selected parishes and other sources in the British Isles. The records are from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and the Isle of Man. This set of compact discs includes and updates the 1998 version of the British Isles Vital Records Index. The British Isles Vital Records Index (2nd Edition) includes: Civil and church records dated from 1530 to 1906. Approximately 12.3 million total records on 16 compact discs, plus the Family History Resource File Viewer disc, which is used to view the information. Birth and christening records that include the individual's name, parents' names, and date and place where the event was registered. Marriage records that include the individual's name, name of spouse, date and place of marriage, and parents' names when available. Reference information that helps you locate original records on microfilm. Other features of the program include collection search, parent search, bookmarking, print options, and GEDCOM export. The collection search lets you search for records from the same locality or multiple localities. Please note that this set of compact discs does not contain all available records from this time period or from these localities. The time span, content, and availability of records vary greatly from parish to parish within each county. Records have been transcribed more completely from some counties than from others. Some names found on these compact discs may also be found on the International Genealogical Index (IGI), Well, it seems to cost just $20 for the discs but theres a huge shipping charge and assuming they weigh less than 1lb that will be an extra $27.

Kate

Kate Report 20 Dec 2005 22:52

Well, I will try to check the baptisms of the 14 children of my great-great-great-grandparents Robert James Bristow and Ann Jane in London / Surrey every week for 6 weeks and see if they ever disappear and reappear. I'll let you know the result! All present and correct today. Kate.

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 20 Dec 2005 22:54

Hi Kate, I have a theory that London stays on all the time. After all, everyone knows that nowhere else in the country is of any importance and the world stops at Watford. Tina (who doesn't really exist)

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Dec 2005 23:16

Heather is the British Vital Records the CD for whole IGI then? Cos I have this and havent so far found many rellies but have found more on Website................perhaps I am not using them properly must have another go sandie

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Dec 2005 23:19

me again forgot to mention you can buy these discs over here just forget address at moment but familysearch have a english sales office sandie

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Dec 2005 23:27

Tina A huge branch of my family, in fact several branches, come from Gawsworth in Cheshire. I was not amused to see several marriages had been transcribed as Gawsworth, London, England. Olde Crone

Geoff

Geoff Report 20 Dec 2005 23:30

BIVRI2 contains stuff which isn't on the IGI but lacks stuff which IS in the IGI. Cost is (I think) £22.95. Pretty good on some counties, cr*p on others - 526,143 baptisms in Wilts, 611 in Leics. Only 17,655 for the whole of Wales. Check the county coverage on LDS site before considering ordering it.