Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BE AWARE BE VERY AWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 21 Dec 2005 11:41

i had seen google earth the sattelite picture homepage so i downloaded the prog onto my pc and it was ok but it wouldnt install on my wifes pc it kept freezing it so was never installed anyway all of a sudden my pc froze i rebooted my pc and it just bought up a blue page saying windows had been shut down to protect my pc as some hard ware or recently installed software had caused an error the ONLY remedy was to format my hard drive and i of course lost everything ( luckily i had burnt my family history to disc ) now im not blaming google earth but it was the cause of my wifes pc freezing it was the only recently installed software on my pc plus another friend in canada tried to install it on her pc without success i leave the decision in your hands malc

Sidami

Sidami Report 21 Dec 2005 11:58

Malcolm, I tried to download that as someone mentioned it on here but it would not let me for some reason. Pleased I didn't.....

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Dec 2005 12:05

I know loads of people who have downloaded it, without any problems. Perhaps the PC wasn't fast enough or didn't have enough memory to be able to handle such a memory intenisve program.

mac2

mac2 Report 21 Dec 2005 12:16

We had downloaded it a few months back and had the same trouble had to delete it from our computer.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 21 Dec 2005 12:18

good point tracy for others in case its memory i run a 1 giga hertz processor with 256 megabytes of RAM on a networked pc maybe if your running a faster cpu and have more memory it MAY be ok malc

Ron

Ron Report 21 Dec 2005 12:25

There should have been no need to format the Hard Drive, use the System Restore option to put your PC right back to how it was before you installed the software. There have been thousands of downloads of this program and this is the first time I've heard of a problem with it but you do need a fairly high spec. PC to run it properly as it does use a lot of computer resources. Regards Ron www.genealogyprinters(.)com

Heather

Heather Report 21 Dec 2005 12:46

I know lots of people who have downloaded with no problem. Perhaps it is the older puters that cant cope?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Dec 2005 12:48

I just found this which may answer a few questions.... The Google Earth client requires certain system configurations in order to run smoothly. Minimum configuration: Operating system: Windows 2000, Windows XP CPU speed: Intel® Pentium® PIII 500 MHz System memory (RAM): 128MB 200MB hard-disk space 3D graphics card: 3D-capable video card with 16MB VRAM 1024x768, 32-bit true color screen Network speed: 128 kbps ('Broadband/Cable Internet') ***Recommended configuration: *** Operating system: Windows XP CPU speed: Intel® Pentium® P4 2.4GHz+ or AMD 2400xp+ System memory (RAM): 512MB 2GB hard-disk space 3D graphics card: 3D-capable video card with 32MB VRAM or greater 1280x1024, 32-bit true color screen Network speed: 768 kbps Google Earth takes advantage of the 3D graphics capabilities standard on most PCs. If you are using Google Earth on an older machine, or a notebook computer that does not have 3D graphics capabilities, you may not be able to run the application. We currently do not offer a Macintosh version of Google Earth.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 Dec 2005 13:02

I believe that my XP forms a restore point itself, before installing any new software.......but it is just as well to make one yourself, prior to downloading any substantial /dubious programs, any way....... Bob

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 21 Dec 2005 13:09

a couple of you have mentioned a system restore which i would have done had the pc allowed me to get that far but it wouldnt those with windows xp will know what im saying when i say the screen came up with the blue bars showing windows was loading then it went straight to the blue screen i could not even get into safe mode but im begining to realise that the prob was likely my cpu wasnt fast enough lets hope those with older machines like myself take note before downloading the google earth prog its a dam shame really because before my pc froze i found the actual programme very very VERY good

Carol

Carol Report 21 Dec 2005 13:22

I downloaded it a while ago and found it very good. However I am now unable to get the globe picture, I just get a blank black screen with the various options around it. I couldnt get it to run in directx, so had to use the other option.

lynnchalmers70

lynnchalmers70 Report 21 Dec 2005 15:17

for months i could not down load this google earth properly. it down loaded, just showing a black space. i uninstalled it the other day and reinstalled it. it works fine now, although the puter has been running a bit slower since. lynnxx

Andy

Andy Report 21 Dec 2005 21:41

I downloaded this onto a fairly high spec pc using XP and it worked OK but seemed slow and pretty pointless so I ditched it. Unless you're desperate to see your house from space forget it. It does gobble up loads of memory.

Lucky

Lucky Report 21 Dec 2005 21:59

Thanks for this info. I downloaded it a few weeks back. My pc has been doing silly things for a little while and I couldn't think what was different. I've just uninstalled and everything seems immediately faster. I'm on XP and this pc is just coming up to 3 years old. Hopefully that may be the problem. Diane

BrianW

BrianW Report 21 Dec 2005 23:29

I downloaded it last night onto my spare 750mhz computer running W2000, with 256MB memory and wireless connected broadband and it seems to run OK, although there's not much else on the machine at the moment.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 21 Dec 2005 23:31

hiya all thanks for your input im beggining to think now it was a memory prob as it appears google earth needs loads thogh that doesnt explain why my friend had probs she runs a very high spec pc and still had probs malc

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Jan 2006 14:55

nudge

Dotty

Dotty Report 5 May 2006 08:37

thank you D.M. nudge