Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry 1841, any news?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 28 Dec 2005 20:31

Did anyone read the new year message from Ancestry.com? They say that the 1841 census is due to be available to view next year. We hope it's soon as we can't wait.

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 28 Dec 2005 22:48

Anyone have any ideas when it will be up running?

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 28 Dec 2005 22:50

had a news letter from them don't remember them mentioning 1841 but I I did see some where(must have been on here) that it would be around Easter Jeanette

Louise

Louise Report 28 Dec 2005 23:42

this months family history mag-says is will be on in spring of 06 regards louise

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Dec 2005 01:15

Copied and pasted this from the newsletter, no specific date, but sounds like it will be sooner rather than later!! 'There's a Lot More Coming Next Year We'll soon complete the fully indexed 1910 US Federal Census and the 1841 England and Wales Census. This will make Ancestry.com the only place online where you can find all publicly available federal census records from the US, England and Wales. ' Debbie

Alan

Alan Report 25 Jan 2006 14:04

Can't wait for it myself. Though when i asked Ancestry about 1851, and 1861 on seperate occasions. Both occasions they had no idea, and on both accounts they appeared within a couple of weeks. Here's hoping. :)

Kate

Kate Report 25 Jan 2006 16:48

Course there will, Ann - the 1911! Oh, and the Irish 1911 and 1901 are going to be made available online over the next few years. And the Scottish 1851 and 1841. Kate.

Martin

Martin Report 25 Jan 2006 23:16

I think many people who have not done much work with films of the censuses are going to be disappointed by 1841. Ancestry could really do with devising some way of searching by family groups as often you can only recognise a family by the combination of names. Perhaps I should say household rather than family of course. MB

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jan 2006 07:48

Yes, I was thinking that, once we have had the 1841, no more goodies to look forward to. Wouldnt it be a dream if unbeknown to us ancestry is beavering away making transcripts of every parish record in the country. Yes, a dream, I know.

Kate

Kate Report 26 Jan 2006 10:10

Heather - there is FreeREG, a sister site of FreeBMD, which is transcriptions of parish records, and at the moment it is in the alpha testing stage. There is a link to it from FreeBMD's home page. Searching isn't available yet, though, so we have to wait till the testing is complete... Kate.

Deborah

Deborah Report 26 Jan 2006 12:05

For those that really *can't* wait, some counties are available to search manually (no name index) for 1841 on the Stepping Stones Site. Pay per view. Debbie

Martin

Martin Report 26 Jan 2006 19:47

You can buy most or all counties on CD-ROM or of course you always go the library /record office. The quality of the image varies a lot with many pages unreadable. The next big advance would be to index the whole of the BMD. I wonder when that will be done. I have a marriage in the 1920s that I would really like to find but I don't know the bride's maiden name. Her husband (my Taid) has a very common Welsh name but she has an unusual second name. MB

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 26 Mar 2006 14:35

Anyone heard anything about this recently as i'm waiting for news before i rejoin Ancestry?

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 26 Mar 2006 14:51

we have the 1841 Leicestershire census disk from Stepping Stones and large parts of that are unreadable, but there is always the hope that your ancestors are readable.

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 27 Mar 2006 13:11

Yes, I was a member when the 1851 came through and it came on really quick, I'm just waiting for a certificate to eventually arrive and then i'll rejoin I think.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 27 Mar 2006 13:30

Louise - ''Just hope the transcriptions are up to scratch'' If they can't get simple 1891/1901 ones right, I doubt they'll manage 1841 lol I would urge anyone who is (will be) struggling to find people on 1841 to post on Records Office. Those who are well practiced at finding mis-transcriptions will probably be able to help. (this offer excludes the pages they haven't scanned lol)

Steven

Steven Report 27 Mar 2006 16:04

The Ancestry Daily News email sent on March 23rd, last week stated : '1841 England and Wales Census Coming in April Ancestry has nearly completed the 1841 England and Wales Census, which includes an every-name index and images, and is expected to be posted in mid to late April. This release will complete the England and Wales Census Collection, which already includes each census from 1851 through 1901, giving World Deluxe and UK Deluxe members access to seven decades of census information.' So we shouldn't have to wait too much longer ............ Steven.

Perranmaid

Perranmaid Report 27 Mar 2006 18:23

Todays new format ancestry weekly journal says Upcoming Databases 1841 UK Census (every-name index), Coming Soon pasted straight in. Last time the daily news said that it was about 10 days patence is a virtue they say......but I'm chomping at the bit.