Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

why would inquest be held long after death!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jan 2006 11:18

if someone died from a drug overdose in Hospital why would the inquest have been held 6 months later and would that mean the body was not released for burial till then thanks

Merry

Merry Report 5 Jan 2006 11:25

I don't really have any personal experience of this, but maybe the initial autopsy would be done quite quickly but if the results of that needed to go to a court to be assessed by the Coroner, then sometimes things get behind and there is a long wait.......... If you think of cases in the newspaper today, if you read about an inquest it is often a long time (months+) after the death. I think the date of burial might well be after the autopsy and before the inquest, unless the police were involved....... Merry

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jan 2006 11:32

thanks Merry , I have never had an inquest done on anyone so wasnt sure how it worked

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jan 2006 12:15

Dont know, perhaps the police investigated this one? My GGF committed suicide in 1912 and the inquest was held a week later.

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 5 Jan 2006 12:18

It is not unusual. Depends a lot on the date. I have worked as a coroners officer and have known inquests to be held well over a year after the death. 6 months is nothing strange. There are two types of inquests - a coroners appointment or a full inquest before a jury. It may well have been the case that there were a lot of enquiries to be held before the coroner was in a position to hold an inquest, or a witness may not have been available. Many reasons, but don't read anything strange into it. Ian

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 5 Jan 2006 12:20

I forgot to add that it is unlikely that the body would not have been released prior to the inquest, unless there was some severe conflict in the evidence. Ian

Emma

Emma Report 5 Jan 2006 13:14

Don't know if it's different with suicides for any reason but my dad's body was released 10 days after being found but the inquest was 8 months after he took his life.

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jan 2006 23:22

thanks very much ,for your replies

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jan 2006 23:40

Delay in inquest would probably be due to length of investigation. I also think that things take much longer now. Inquests in my family tree 1879 and 1908 were done less than a week after death. My Broadmoor relative's trial was 2 months after the crime he committed. Nowadays murder trials take years to get to court. Back in 1862 the trial was all over within a couple of hours! nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jan 2006 23:41

Just found this on the internet 'Will the inquest delay the funeral? In most cases (other than murder), no. The Coroner will usually open the inquest very soon after the death, at which evidence of identification is given. The hearing will then be adjourned, and appropriate certificates will be issued enabling the funeral to be held. Where there has been a murder, there is usually a delay before the funeral can be held. This is to enable evidence to be gathered by both the prosecution and the defence.' - from www.tcf.org.uk/leaflets/leinquests.html

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jan 2006 23:41

my my Helen what an exciting family you have to research, you do seem to find out a lot about your lot, I seem to stumble at every step.

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jan 2006 23:43

thanks for that, the reason I asked is because it says he died from Cocaine intoxication agravated by restraint so wondered if he died because of rough treatment in the Hospital

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 6 Jan 2006 01:59

What was the year of the inquest? Ian

Val wish I'd never started Report 6 Jan 2006 11:23

hi Ian it was just a few years ago

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 6 Jan 2006 16:19

My mother died last year of Mesolithenoma asbestos related cancer. As this is classed as an industrial disease I was told that an inquest was compUlsary. A post motem was also compelsory (sp.) After this was held the coroners clerk visited me at home and took a statement and a few days later I was issued with a coroners free interem death certificate which gave a probable cause of death and I was allowed to use this to arrange a cremation. The inquest took place a month or so later and was reported by the local paper. About the same time my uncle died after a fall in a nursing home. This was also subject to compulsory inquest but the home was given longer to consult a solicitor etc. I think the fall was accidental. I imagine if your relative death was partly due to the restraint tecnique used which could have been in hospital the staff would have been given time to prepare legal defence. An inquest must also be held if any one days at home without having seen a doctor in the last week. A bit of a grizly subject but I hope it helps. I am sure the local press would have reported yours. best wishes Anne

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 6 Jan 2006 16:52

Just as a matter of interest, doctors are very wary and often reluctant to issue a death certificate nowadays. This is all thanks to Dr Shipman. So even if the deceased has seen the Dr within the last 21 days, they may well not issue a cert. In my role as coroners officer, I have known people in their 90's die in hospital and not be certified, necessitating an inquest or coroners appointment and a PM. Ian

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 6 Jan 2006 17:12

Sounds like they were awaiting the results of toxicology reports, which can take forever. Not unusual for inquest to take place 6 months after death. Every avenue has to be explored before a full inquest can take place.

Val wish I'd never started Report 6 Jan 2006 23:01

thanks for all responses to my query I am trying to access the news paper records now ,