Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madeline

Madeline Report 6 Jan 2006 22:44

I have been searching for my grandfathers birth now for the last 2 years and always come to a brick wall, could someone help please. His name was Arthur Hughes, i have his marriage cert and his death cert . On the marriage certificate it says his father was George William Hughes .labourer. Arthur married Emily Beatrice Green in1894 at St Marys Newington. His age was 25 years giving his birth about 1869. His father was deceased then. Arthurs job was a printers cutter journeyman. I did find a couple of familys with the right year for birth but when i checked in the 1891 census it gives Arthurs job as a wheelright. In the 1901 census he was living at the same address as his mother-in-law in Newington, they must have moved to Wandsworth shortly after as that is where he died Any help would be appriciated Regards Madeline

Zoe

Zoe Report 6 Jan 2006 22:48

Where was he born? In the census which area does it give Zoe

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 6 Jan 2006 22:50

1901 - for reference only :) Catherine Green abt 1845 Walworth, London, England Head Newington London Frederick Green abt 1880 Walworth, London, England Son Newington London Arthur Hughes abt 1869 Walworth, London, England Son-in-law Newington London Emily Hughes abt 1874 Walworth, London, England Daughter Newington London Rose Hughes abt 1897 Walworth, London, England Granddaughter Newington London Arthur Hughes abt 1900 Walworth, London, England Grandson Newington London

Madeline

Madeline Report 6 Jan 2006 23:26

I gather he was born in the southwark area but thats going by the 1901 census, he may have just said Walworth as he was married there madeline

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jan 2006 23:41

All those areas are adjacent to each other. Do you reckon this is dad and family in 1861: George Gibson Hughes abt 1858 Madstone, Kent, England Son Southwark St Saviour Surrey George William Hughes abt 1829 Harriestham, Kent, England Head Southwark St Saviour Surrey Levi Robert Hughes abt 1860 Madstone, Kent, England Son Southwark St Saviour Surrey Mary Ann Hughes abt 1835 Bath, Somerset, England Wife Southwark St Saviour Surrey Right area for him. I wonder if dad dies before the 1871 and so he is in a different household?

Zoe

Zoe Report 7 Jan 2006 00:13

If so Heather this is them in 1881 Mary A. HUGHES Head W Female 46 Bath, Somerset, England George G. HUGHES Son U Male 23 Maidstone, Kent, England Plumber Levi R. HUGHES Son U Male 21 Maidstone, Kent, England Confectioners Warehouseman Amelia A. HUGHES Daur Female 14 Strood, Kent, England Herbert H. HUGHES Son Male 10 Maidstone, Kent, England Scholar Richard W. HUGHES Son Male 8 Maidstone, Kent, England Scholar -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 16 Whitehall Pl Census Place Maidstone, Kent, England Family History Library Film 1341222 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0930 / 81 Page Number 27 But no Arthur Hughes?! Zoe x

Heather

Heather Report 7 Jan 2006 00:15

Not an easy one is it. Could he have been known by a different name than Arthur? What was his job, couldnt be away from home on an apprenticeship or something, could he? Zoe, sorry, Im trying to type an urgent report for hubby to take tomorrow, so skipping back and forwards here!, but did you find this lot in the 1871? So that lot looks like a wash out unfortunately. But dad must have died and they have moved back to Kent from Southwark. So a tiny possibility Arthur stayed in Southwark with relatives. Grasping at straws here, but the guy was alive when he married, so he must be somewhere out there. Just noticed not the usual number of children from this (Arthur and his wife) couple, is there! I just typed just Arthur into ancestry - dozens of arthurs with no surnames came up from images they cant decipher. Worrying isnt it!

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 13:42

Found this odd household in 1871: Mary Hughes abt 1834 Somerset, England Wife Paddington, shopkeeper Henry Grigg abt 1848 Somerset, England Boarder Paddington, railway porter not sure what it contributes. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 13:47

This looks like George Gibson Hughes: Wentworth Easton abt 1830 Bath Head St Luke London, plumber Louisa Easton abt 1832 Mardstone, Kent, England Wife St Luke London Louise E M Easton abt 1870 St Luke, Middlesex, England Daughter St Luke London Geo G Hughes abt 1859 Mardston, Kent, England Nephew St Luke London, scholar Incidentally, Maidstone might be in the Medway CityArk - in which case they have images of teh parish registers you can trawl through. NOT indexed! Christine

Heather

Heather Report 7 Jan 2006 14:15

So assume Wentworth Easton is a relative of Mary Ann Hughes then. Still no help on Arthur though, eh?!

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 22:53

My husband interrupted me just as I was finding this lot in 1871... William Easton abt 1806 Buckinghamshire, England Head Maidstone Kent, papermaker in paper mill, widower Mary A Hughes abt 1834 Hampshire, England Daughter Maidstone Kent, widow, housekeeper Levi R Hughes abt 1860 Maidstone, Kent, England Son Maidstone Kent, scholar Mary A Hughes abt 1863 Maidstone, Kent, England Daughter Maidstone Kent, scholar Amelia A Hughes abt 1867 Strood Daughter Maidstone Kent, scholar another bit of the family! This appears to include his mother (?Hampshire instead of Somerset) - in which case, why isn't Arthur with her, as he'd be very young (only about 2). Could be a nurse-child, I suppose, with another family; or could have lied about his age at marriage, and maintained the fiction thereafter (as my great-grandmother did!) Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 22:57

Pity it isn't Levi you're after (altho' there could be some clues on his certs): Name: HUGHES, Levi Robert Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1860 District: Maidstone County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 448 Name: HUGHES, Levi Robert Record Type: Marriages Quarter: December Year: 1885 District: Maidstone County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 1203 Gibson, Sarah Ann or King, Kate Adelaide Name: HUGHES, Levi Robert Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 34 Quarter: June Year: 1894 District: Maidstone County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 295 Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 23:10

Here's Amelia: Name: Hughes, Amelia Adelaide Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1867 District: North Aylesford County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 392 Name: HUGHES, Amelia Adelaide Record Type: Marriages Quarter: December Year: 1886 District: Maidstone County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 1165 COGGER, Thomas Vincent or Seager, Frederick George or WEEDEN, Albert Again, not Arthur - but, in desperation, siblings certs may have clues in the form of witnesses and such (altho' a pricey way of getting the info). Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 23:13

All the rest of this family seems to have two given names - does Arthur have another name? - not according to the marriage record: Name: Green, Emily Beatrice Record Type: Marriages Quarter: March Year: 1894 District: St Saviour Southwark County: London Surrey Volume: 1d Page: 280 **Hughes, Arthur Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 23:20

Interestingly, didn't find a transcription for a birth for George (only his son, who died within a year), but found his marriage: Name: Hughes, George Gibson Record Type: Marriages Quarter: December Year: 1885 District: Maidstone County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 1189 KNOWLES, Mary Ann E or Mystery Woman (i.e. 2 men's names, but only one woman's) Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 23:32

Found these 1851 records: Susan Elphes abt 1785 Maidstone, Kent, England Head Maidstone Kent ***George W Hughes abt 1829 Harredsham, Kent, England Grandson Maidstone Kent Joseph Scultap abt 1777 Maidstone, Kent, England Lodger Maidstone Kent --- William Easton abt 1811 Asert, Buckinghamshire, England Head Maidstone Kent, papermaker journeyman Mary Easton abt 1811 Maidstone, Buckinghamshire, England Wife Maidstone Kent William Easton abt ''1841'' (but aged 20!) Alton, Hampshire, England Son Maidstone Kent, plumber journeyman Mary Easton abt 1833 Bath, Somerset, England Daughter Maidstone Kent Levi Easton abt 1840 Foots Cray, Kent, England Son Maidstone Kent, scholar Seleina Easton abt 1848 Maidstone, Kent, England Daughter Maidstone Kent James Frakock abt 1820 Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England Visitor Maidstone Kent, plumber journeyman Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Jan 2006 23:47

A significant impediment to finding the birth record for anyone ca 1869 via FreeBMD/Ancestry is that there are practically no transcriptions done for that year. For 1868, the first quarter looks complete, the June quarter just under half, and Sep & Dec quarters, like 1869, none. That's an 1837Online task, by the look of it. Or that other site? Christine You could trawl through the CityArk baptism images on the offchance, but that would be an enormous task, with no specific date or place of birth.

Madeline

Madeline Report 9 Jan 2006 14:25

Thank you all for your efforts in trying to find my ancesto will have to try and get to London and look through parish records, ( if i can find which parish he was born in ). Regards Madeline