Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can someone help sort out this muddle for me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 17:16

Please see below... typing as quick as i can, but it a longish story...thanks...

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 17:22

thanks for waiting... my gt grandfather was Edward Parnell - or so i thought - bn 1858 Bawburgh, Norfolk. I have his father and mother? on 1851 census: Edward Parnell bn 1826 Taverham norfolk Sarah Ann Parnell bn 1831 Drayton norfolk George Parnell bn 1844 Drayton Norfolk On 1861 census: - where Edward should be making his 1st appearance -... Emma P Davey abt 1860 Little Melton, Norfolk, England Daughter Little Melton Norfolk Parnell E Davey abt 1858 Bawburgh, Norfolk, England Son Little Melton Norfolk Sarah Davey abt 1830 Intwood, Norfolk, England Housekeeper Little Melton Norfolk Edward Parnell abt 1827 Taverham, Norfolk, England Head Little Melton Norfolk George Parnell abt 1850 Drayton, Norfolk, England Son Little Melton Norfolk Mary A Parnell abt 1853 Drayton, Norfolk, England Daughter Little Melton Norfolk Does this look like another Sarah? I cant find Edwards jnr birth record so dont know which surname hes registered under.. heres hoping someone can help, Thanks, Sue

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Jan 2006 17:27

Sue have you seen this family on the 1861.... Edward Parnell abt 1859 Foulden, Norfolk, England Son Foulden Norfolk George Parnell abt 1835 Foulden, Norfolk, England Head Foulden Norfolk John Parnell abt 1857 Foulden, Norfolk, England Son Foulden Norfolk Martha Parnell abt 1836 Foulden, Norfolk, England Wife Foulden Norfolk Walter Parnell abt 1861 Foulden, Norfolk, England Son Foulden Norfolk Georgina

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 17:32

Hi Georgina, Yes I did see those, but they are not mine sorry, My Edward went on to marry Sarah Fish, and his birth date a place are the same as above after his marriage. So am sure the lot above are mine.. but i cant confirm his surname! as I cant find a record of his birth under either surname. thanks, Sue

Thelma

Thelma Report 7 Jan 2006 17:42

Surely this is your Edward Parnell E Davey abt 1858 Bawburgh, Norfolk, England Son Little Melton Norfolk

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2006 17:42

Can't find any Parnell/Parnel or Davy/Davey births 1858 that look likely on Freebmd. Bawburgh is included in Forehoe registration district, Drayton is in St Faith's. I imagine you are thinking that Edward's father had a liaison (later regulated by marriage) with his housekeeper and that Edward was illegitimate. It is possible that if he was illegitimate he wasn't registered, it wasn't compulsory until 1875. On the other hand, my Norfolk gt grandmother was illegitimate and born in 1846 ad she was registered. nell

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 17:43

Thanks again for looking Georgina, I've just taken a second look myself, just to make sure! But no, they not mine. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2006 17:44

Frustratingly, no records on norfolk transcription archive and neither Bawburgh nor Drayton is on the IGI :-((( nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2006 17:45

Jim Well done! Where did you find that? nell

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 17:48

Yes Jim thats my Edward! and yes Nell, thats what I was thinking, But not sure how to prove it if there is no birth record. Also I cant find a death for the first Sarah either! All these Edward and Sarah's (edward had a sister called Sarah too) are driving me round the bend!! Thanks for looking all, Sue

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Jan 2006 17:53

Sue this could be Edward Parnell senior's first marriage..... Although it says born 1823. Edward Parnele Male Event(s): Birth: 05 AUG 1823 Taverham, Norfolk, England Christening: 10 AUG 1823 Taverham, Norfolk, England Marriages: Spouse: Sarah Ann Fulcher Marriage: 24 MAY 1847 Drayton, Norfolk, England Georgina.

Thelma

Thelma Report 7 Jan 2006 17:54

1871 census All the Davey's now Parnell View Record Albert Parnell abt 1866 Norwich Son St Clement Norfolk View Record Edward Parnell abt 1829 Taverham, Norfolk, England Head St Clement Norfolk View Record Edward Parnell abt 1858 Bawburgh, Norfolk, England Son St Clement Norfolk View Record Emma Parnell abt 1860 Little Melton, Norfolk, England Daughter St Clement Norfolk View Record Frederick Parnell abt 1854 Hethersett, Norfolk, England Son St Clement Norfolk View Record Rebecca Parnell abt 1869 Norwich Daughter St Clement Norfolk View Record Sarah Parnell abt 1829 Cringleford, Norfolk, England Wife St Clement Norfolk View Record Sarah Parnell abt 1862 Norwich Daughter St Clement Norfolk

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 17:59

Yes Georgina thats his 1st marriage! thankyou thankyou..lol... Do you think they could have divorced?....or am i about to uncover the fact that the 2nd Sarah was never married to Edward snr?... cause I've just about run out of ideas of where to look next ! :( Sue...with fingers still crossed, hoping the 'experts' on here can find something... PS.. i think Edward Snr didn't know how old he was!

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 18:04

Jim, yesI think thats them, but confusingly Sarah's place of birth has changed. I have them on 1881 and she's back to being born in Intwood. and they more children I really do appreciate all your help all, Sue

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 7 Jan 2006 19:03

this'll be him Births 1858 Jan-Mar Davy, Parnell Edward, Forehoe 4b 174

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 19:09

Oh thankyou Robin, Yes that does look like him, I'll send for the cert. I can now find out for sure who his mum is. Thanks sooo much Robin. and thanks to everyone else too for all the other information, a great help all regards to all, Sue

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 7 Jan 2006 19:09

I see brother Fred is also a Davy in 1861, as the 'son' of a couple who look more like his grandparents

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 19:25

Robin, Its been driving me nutty try to sort out all the Sarah's (4) Edward's (3) and Frederick's (2)! Think the Frederick you mentioned is the one born 1883? He had an uncle Frederick bn 1854. Sue

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 19:30

Hi again Robin, Just spred out all my copies of census's - think I may have missed that Frederick davey/davy with 'grandparents'... Could you elaborate, please?.... thanks... Sue Update... just had a look at 1861, yes I did miss that census for Frederick! I'm even more confused now!..lol..Its looking very much like Frederick may not be Edward snr's son now!

Crafty

Crafty Report 7 Jan 2006 20:05

Oh well, Thankyou all for your help. I'm going to have a break now, I will have a fresh look at my muddle tomorrow. It may become clearer as to who's child is who's! Sue