Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

URGENT computer help!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 10:17

HI All, I logged off my internet a short while ago and went off to do something - when I returned it said unable to close AOL as someone else is accessing it!!!! I then noticed a file transfer of my personal filing cabinet which was going on in the top left corner, i cancelled it and shut everything down but when I logged back on it finished off the transfer before I had a chance to cancel again, Does someone now have copies of all my emails and passwords - what shall I do?? I am quite worried about this. Deb

Yogi

Yogi Report 29 Jan 2006 10:21

It looks like someone has hackedinto your PC and helped themselves Debbie. JJH

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 10:27

What can I do about it - or what can they do with the info they have got? If they have my passwords to some of my subscription sites can thay access my bank details. Deb

Michael

Michael Report 29 Jan 2006 10:30

I think you've already been had. If you have an anti-virus program ike Norton or McAfee then run it now and see if you've been infected. If you bank online then I would be very worried and suggest you get into these sites quick and change your details - eBay, Paypal, anywhere that you buy stuff online from who has your CC card details. I'd be very worried if I were in your shoes. Watch you bank account very carefully over the next few days - that would be my advice - that and invest in a good anti-virus program.

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 10:38

Hi All, This may sound stupid but, if I log on to my bank now could someone still be accessing my comp and get my details??? Oh, Help!! I can't believe this is happening. Deb

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 10:42

Mental, I have norton but I think after this I will be changing!!! I just had a thought - before this happened I had just registered with a new site that had been recommended by someone on here!! Thats a bit odd!! Deb

Michael

Michael Report 29 Jan 2006 10:50

The thing to do is to make sure YOU get in and change your details and passwords before THEY do. You might be okay, but you really need to alter your passwords now just to make sure you can. If you can move faster than them to alter your details, then you should be safe.

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2006 10:55

Oh Debbie, thats is so awful. I cant believe that could happen. But thank goodness you noticed. Contact all your banks and other accounts and let them know and get new passwords etc. I do so feel for you, I dread anything like that. I have to say I am not a fan of AOL, Ive heard many bad things about them. I thought they were supposed to have high security? I dumped my paid for Mcafee anti virus for the free AVG7 download at grisoft web site. If I were you Id go there now and download and run it. I think you need Judy from the States for more professional help. When you run the avg7, turn off your system restore otherwise if a virus or trojan is hiding it may come back. Make sure you put the system restore on afterwards. I think it may be wise to back up everything you have on your puter onto a cd first before you do anything. Do you have a firewall? I have free zone alarm and if you have been hacked there should be some sort of message in your firewall report. When I look at my zone alarm it tells me just how many attacks it has repelled and where from. (although thats just numbers and means nothing to me). Oh I do feel dreadful for you. But as I said, you have noticed it so can take steps to sort it before any damage is done.

Michael

Michael Report 29 Jan 2006 10:56

Just another thought. It might be worth contacting your bank or CC card company and tell them you have reason to bellieve your security has been compromised and then they can keep a watch for you of anything sucpicious that might be tried on your account in the coming days or weeks. No experience of this myself, just a random thought that might be worth considering.

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 11:02

I just contacted my bank over the phone and they said someone could have put a virus on my pc that watches keystrokes and the best thing to do is log on to my bank from another pc and change passwords - Thay said to contact them again Monday and see if there have been any tracactions. I think the best thing to do is contact card companies. Deb

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2006 11:05

As long as you let them all know now, then you should be safe. Do run the avg7 through and put a firewall on if you dont have one already.

Horatia

Horatia Report 29 Jan 2006 11:07

Debbie, You say you have Norton. You would need to have the firewall part of Norton as well as the Anti virus part. They are two different programmes. Some people have the AV (antivirus) and think that will protect them against hackers - but you need BOTH programmes. Do you have the firewall turned on? Do you use any Instant Messenger type programmes? Do you update your Norton? You need to update it regularly or have you got it set to update itself? Cheers, Horatia

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 29 Jan 2006 11:10

Debbie, you should be able to 'phone your internet bank and tell them of the security risk and then they should ask you security questions to confirm who you are then they can either 1) change your security details for you or 2) lock it out so no-one can access it and then send you through the post new security details (which can take 2/3 weeks and is a pain I know but at least you know your money is secure). They can do this - don't let them fob you off and make sure you ring the internet banking number and NOT your local bank number - one won't know anything about the systems of the other and certainly won't be able to do the other's work. Good Luck!! Kim

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 11:27

Kim I did phone internet bank - Although they gave good advice, I did ask them to notify me of any transactions over the next week or so but they said they could not do this but I should contact my branch on Monday!!!! I hope they have kept a log of my conversation with them just in case! Heather( I think) I will take your advice about virus software - My norton subscription is about to expire anyway I am feeling slightly calmer now, so on a lighter note - Do you think it could just be a name collector, they will do anything to get the name s your working on!!!!! They would have struck lucky with Meager,Marshall,Emo,Coalwood and lots of others and got quite a few new contacts too!!!!! lol Deb

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2006 11:40

I dont know enough about computers Debbie. I think my first reaction would have been, I must have clicked on something to move the file myself. So you did well sussing it out. Judy from the states has a thread giving details of what programs you should have for security. I have AVG7 for antivirus and email scanning Zone alarm for firewall Ad aware Microsofts own free anti spy ware All of these are free and seem better than my paid for mcafee which had about 5 trojans and viruses on it when I just idly checked my system with the free AVG once! Hence I decided to keep the avg and get rid of the mcafees. When I spoke to a Microsoft Engineer he agreed with me that he preferred avg.

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 13:18

Hi Everyone I just want to thank you all for your advice and support - I might try and keep this thread at the top for a while just in case someone else has been affected. Deb

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2006 15:01

Have you tried running avg7 through it yet and if so, any results?

Deb

Deb Report 29 Jan 2006 16:08

Hi Heather, Have not done it yet - not sure what i'm doing at the moment but there has been a development - I was sending IM back and fourth to a family member and a IM appeared supposedely from me with a web address. Now, I have just read on the internet that there are worms at the moment that are getting in through your instant messaging throwing in a website address, then the person at the other end thinks that you have sent them a link to a site, they visit it and then they are too infected!!! I am downloading something at the moment but when finished I will get AVG7. Deb