Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Been given some old certificates, Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 4 Feb 2006 15:35

I have some old certificates, oldest 1870, but they are very fragile, does anyone know how to preserve them? Also, ( now this is complicated... well it is to me ) I have a copy of a birth certificate for a boy called Harvey Born January 1870, this is a new name to my family, no one has ever heard of him. Also got a copy of a birth certificate for Harvey which is the same as the previous one, except on the reverse there is a copy of a birth certtificate for Charles, born January 1870, who needed this for ' the purpose of Elementary Education' (?) Charles was my Gt Gt Grandfather and is known to the family as just Charles. Could this have been twins? The Elementary Education copy cert. was made up in March 1888 when Charles would have been 18, I wouldn't have thought that he would have need a cert for education, or work for that matter, at that age. Can any one help? Thanks Helen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Feb 2006 16:12

You can look up the births for free on Ancestry at the moment, so you could look for the entries and see if there were two. If you want to give the surname I could have a look. You often needed a birth certificate in those days for education or jobs. You could ask at your local Family History Society about preserving your certificates as I'm sure someone there would know the best way. Kath. x

Helen

Helen Report 4 Feb 2006 16:22

Hey, thanks for replying! The surname is Webb, I would be really grateful for any help. The place of birth was Middleton in Lancashire, born in January 1870. Cheers Helen

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 4 Feb 2006 16:29

In march q 1870 there is a Harvey Webb, Oldham, 8d 645 then several Charles' in; (without midle names) Chepstow, I of Wight (with) Presteigne Bath, Poplar, Saffron W. Witham is there a time on the certifacte?

Rachel

Rachel Report 4 Feb 2006 16:31

Get a digital copy or photocopy of both sides and store the originals in acid free folders. Ask at the family history society for help with there presivation. I have a 1917 copy of an 1903 birth certificatr for the purpose of factory and workshop act 1901 - This certificate is not available for the purpose of secondary education.

Debbie

Debbie Report 4 Feb 2006 16:32

HELEN FOUND THIS IN 1871 View Record John Allen abt 1828 Tamworth, Staffordshire, England Head Middleton Lancashire View Record Nancy A Allen abt 1824 Kersey, Lancashire, England Wife Middleton Lancashire View Record Sarah Ann Allen abt 1855 Radsoff, Lancashire, England Daughter Middleton Lancashire View Record James Eastwood abt 1839 Halifax, Yorkshire, England Lodger Middleton Lancashire View Record James Gasser abt 1825 Liverpool, Wales Lodger Middleton Lancashire View Record Joseph Jackson abt 1853 Leeds, Yorkshire, England Lodger Middleton Lancashire View Record Emma Jones abt 1850 Wales Niece Middleton Lancashire View Record Robert Spencer abt 1825 Liverpool, Wales Lodger Middleton Lancashire View Record Charles Webb abt 1822 Norfolk, England Head Middleton Lancashire CHARLES WEBB abt 1870 Middleton, Lancashire, England Son Middleton Lancashire 1881 CHARLES WEBB abt 1822 Shotsham, Norfolk, England Head 60 Parkfield, Middleton In Oldham, Lancashire, England BEER HOUSE KEEPER CHARLES WEBB abt 1870 Middleton, Lancashire, England Son 60 Parkfield, Middleton In Oldham, Lancashire, England View Record Elizabeth Webb abt 1866 Middleton, Lancashire, England Daughter 60 Parkfield, Middleton In Oldham, Lancashire, England ELLEN WEBB abt 1830 Corwen, Merionethshire, Wales Wife 60 Parkfield, Middleton In Oldham, Lancashire, England View Record Griffiths Webb abt 1864 Middleton, Lancashire, England Son 60 Parkfield, Middleton In Oldham, Lancashire, England View Record John E.U. Webb abt 1880 Middleton, Lancashire, England Son 60 Parkfield, Middleton In Oldham, Lancashire, England View Record Mary E. Webb abt 1868 Middleton, Lancashire, England Daughter 60 Parkfield, Middleton In Oldham, Lancashire, England WHAT WAS THE NAME OF CHARLES/HARVEY FATHER ON THE BIRTH CERT?? REGARDS DEBS

Helen

Helen Report 4 Feb 2006 16:44

cheers everyone, Where can I find out about Family History Society's? Charles Webb's Father was Charles Webb (!) born in Norfolk, and his mother was Ellen Webb nee Jones from Wales. It's Harvey that is the surprise. Helen

Rachel

Rachel Report 4 Feb 2006 16:57

To find your local family history society, google your county/ city/ town + family history society. The only Harvey shouwing up on FreeBM is: Name: Webb, Harvey Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1870 District: Oldham County: Greater Manchester Lancashire Volume: 8d Page: 645 Following quater is: Name: Webb, Charles Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1870 District: Oldham County: Greater Manchester Lancashire Volume: 8d Page: 522 If these are the 2 boys you have the certificate for it is quite odd

Helen

Helen Report 4 Feb 2006 17:01

I think odd will have to be our new family name now. I really am confused now, I have both these certificates, one for Harvey ( who is a mystery to the family) and one for Charles. don't know of any way I am going to find out about them.Thank you very much to everyone who has replied to my plea. Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2006 17:07

Helen What a lovely treasure! I suppose you could think about checking baptisms for Charles/Harvey in the appropriate nearest parish. Where were they born and what were their parents' names? What is their father's occupation? Or perhaps, the child was baptised Harvey, but known as Charles in later life? nell

Helen

Helen Report 4 Feb 2006 17:15

Have got Baptism record for Charles.... 18th Feb 1870 but nothing for Havey. I wonder if he died very early, would he have been baptised if he was a sickly baby?

Kate

Kate Report 4 Feb 2006 17:19

I think a couple of people have asked this above but it doesn't seem to have been answered - what are the names of Harvey's parents on his birth certificate? Or is it just a 'short' certificate without those details? Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 4 Feb 2006 17:22

And the 'Webb' 1870 births from Lancashire BMD are even more confusing: Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1870 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference WEBB Charles Oldham Below Town Oldham OBT/86/394 WEBB Frank Evett Oldham Below Town Oldham OBT/88/196 WEBB Harvey Middleton Rochdale M/21/338 WEBB John Herbert Oldham Above Town Oldham OAT/67/46 WEBB Joseph Chadderton Oldham CHAD/27/67 Kate.

Melanie

Melanie Report 4 Feb 2006 17:23

Hello, I have a Stephen Sherratt and a Hannah Sherrat in my Family tree around 1870. I was wondering could these be releated to you or Harvey. Also what is Harveys last name does it say on the birth Certificate?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 Feb 2006 17:26

from Lancs BMD... Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1870 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference **WEBB Charles Oldham Below Town Oldham OBT/86/394 WEBB Frank Evett Oldham Below Town Oldham OBT/88/196 **WEBB Harvey Middleton Rochdale M/21/338 WEBB John Herbert Oldham Above Town Oldham OAT/67/46 WEBB Joseph Chadderton Oldham CHAD/27/67 Doesn't look like the same family - one Oldham Below Town, one Middleton - but could be cousin or something? Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 Feb 2006 17:26

Were they full certificates with all the info, or just short ones? Christine

Kate

Kate Report 4 Feb 2006 17:41

Christine - great minds think alike! Kate.

Merry

Merry Report 4 Feb 2006 17:44

Surely if Charles was born in jan 1870 then he shouls have been reg is Q1, but there isn't one! Also no Harvey on the 1871 census, and no death that I could see for Harvey..... I presume they are short certs you have?? It there a ref in the top right or bottom left corner? Do they resemble each other at all?? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 4 Feb 2006 17:50

UPDATE - Short cert has the GRO number in the bottom left-hand corner. What are they??!! Merry