Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I REALLY hate to ask but....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 7 Feb 2006 19:13

see below:

Dea

Dea Report 7 Feb 2006 19:13

What is a 'pidler' ?? I have a relative who was one , and later became a Joiner (If that has any relevance)?? Dea x

Joy

Joy Report 7 Feb 2006 19:20

Oh dear, I use this site www.gendocs.demon*.*co.uk/trades.html (delete asterisk please) but could not find it. Definitely not pedlar?

Heather

Heather Report 7 Feb 2006 19:21

Someone who used Tena Ladies?

Esta

Esta Report 7 Feb 2006 19:24

Could it possibly be Puddler ? ( found this ) Puddler A puddler was a person who operated a puddling or ball furnace in which pig or scrap iron was refined to produce wrought iron. The work would involve lining the furnace with oxide of iron, lighting the furnace, adjusting controls to raise the temperature to the correct heat for melting the pig iron, stirring the molten metal with heavy iron paddles known as 'robbles' until the oxidised carbon silicon and manganese were removed and the metal began to solidify and working the metal with the robbles to form balls weighing about 100 lbs.

Dea

Dea Report 7 Feb 2006 21:43

Hi all, It wasn't a pedler and it wasn't a pudler - It definitely seems to say a 'pidler' Any thoughts? Dea x

Merry

Merry Report 7 Feb 2006 22:33

Where abouts does it say this??! (Will have to be on the inside of my eyelids if you want me to look, as am off to ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzland now.........) Merry

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 7 Feb 2006 22:49

did you find out if not where did you read it I could have a look for you

Val wish I'd never started Report 7 Feb 2006 22:50

it couldnt be f and not p and be a fiddler could it ??

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Feb 2006 22:51

Could it be bad writing for Picker Cast the shuttles on a loom

Georgia

Georgia Report 8 Feb 2006 01:37

What kind of accent would he have had? If he had given his details to an enumerator who wasn't from that area, then he might have sounded like he said 'pidler'. Or, if the census enumerator wasn't especially literate, he might have thought that's how you spell peddler, if they pronounced it 'pidler' in that accent. Have you checked to see what his occupation was on other censuses - might give you a clue. If you find out, do let us know.

Dea

Dea Report 8 Feb 2006 07:36

Sorry all - had to go to bed ! If anyone wants to have a look, it wason 1851 census - John Ormandy born Salford, 1826 - living in Macclesfield, Cheshire. His later occupation was a 'Joiner' Thanks, Dea

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 8 Feb 2006 08:20

I think Pudler could also be someone who stamped the mud to make the bottom of a canal. Perhaps the enumerator's spelling was a bit iffy. i think of Jemima puddleduck.

Merry

Merry Report 8 Feb 2006 08:29

I think it LOOKS like pidler, but I doubt that is what the enumerator meant to write........(hope no one comes back to anything I wrote after 150 years!!). On the face of it I would have said it should read pudler or pedler (either of which should have two D's). If he had been only 13 or 14 years of age and not in his 20's I would have felt happier with these alternate occupations (I don't know Macclesfield....do they have iron puddling there??)............What's putting me off is this business of him being a joiner later.......suggests training/apprenticeship......... Perhaps he was trained as a carpenter/joiner, but was out of work when the census was taken and the only work he could get was peddling goods around the town. He might have been selling items he had made? Merry

Joy

Joy Report 8 Feb 2006 08:30

I have looked, but am uncertain, I am sorry. All the other words look so clear. If it is Pidler, the d does not look quite the same as in other words with d in them. Joy

Val wish I'd never started Report 8 Feb 2006 09:59

could it be a winder I looked at the next few pages to see if anybody else had the same occupation and there is a very similar looking word which is winder

Val wish I'd never started Report 8 Feb 2006 10:17

have you tried googling Cotton Mill occupations you can get a list of all titles in a Mill and Pidler is not one of them assuming he worked in the Mill of course.

MickT

MickT Report 8 Feb 2006 13:31

Hi. I have just looked. I am fairly sure that the word is 'pedler' , every other 'i' on the page is clearly dotted. Mick