Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can someone help!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2006 11:42

I cant move forward - Francis George Hewlett july quarter 1886 in Hackney Married Alice Rose Butler 1910 in Hackney I cant find him on any census as a child all there is on a census is the marriage. Am I doing something wrong? How can I go forward from here? Thanks in advance for amy help Jane

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2006 11:42

Do you mean backwards? If so, their marriage cert would be a good thing to get, then you will have both fathers names and occupations. Just realised you have the wifes maiden name, so do you have the certificate already? Of course may be his mum remarried and he appears on the census under the new hubbys surname?

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2006 11:46

Thanks Heather I have applied for this but they are taking so long to come through, I just wondered if anybody had any other ideas!!! I just cant move forward on this and this is the start Thanks again, hope your ok and life is a little better!!!! Jane

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2006 11:55

Life is not a bowl of cherries. And Im supposed to be working now, but cant resist quickly popping in and out! Bad of me. I know what you mean, Ive been waiting over 2 weeks now. Its annoying - Im dead ends everywhere - not a glimmer. Sorry, maybe one of the geniuses on here can think of another way, but if you want to go backwards you are going to have to find his dads name. Except of course, if mum has remarried and he is stuck with his stepfathers name on the census. You could try swopping the H for something like K or L? If you have hours to spare, you could try trawling all the Francis born that year and area, but even that could be non-conclusive without knowing mums name.

Helen

Helen Report 21 Feb 2006 11:55

Alfred Hewlett abt 1892 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London View Record Caroline Hewlett abt 1864 Clerkenwell, London, England Wife Hackney London Davis Hewlett abt 1888 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London Florence Hewlett abt 1882 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London George Hewlett abt 1886 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London Jabez Hewlett abt 1860 Hackney, London, England Head Hackney London Phillip Hewlett abt 1900 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London Rose Hewlett abt 1882 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London Walter Hewlett abt 1898 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London Maybe this is his family and he always used his middle name?

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2006 11:56

Well, easier than you thought Jane!

Helen

Helen Report 21 Feb 2006 12:01

1891 transcribed as Howlett on Ancestry has a 5 year old Francis G so it looks like this is the right family. Jabez Howlett abt 1861 Shoreditch, London, England Head Hackney London Caroline Howlett abt 1865 Clerkenwell, London, England Wife Hackney London David A Howlett abt 1888 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London Florence L Howlett abt 1884 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London Francis G Howlett abt 1886 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London Rosina Howlett abt 1882 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London William P Howlett abt 1890 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2006 12:02

Well done Helen.

Helen

Helen Report 21 Feb 2006 12:04

Do you want the earlier Census and whatever else we can find or do you want to look yourself?

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2006 12:05

Thanks Helen, I have seen this family before when searching, I just did not think they were anything to do with us. This family has caused problems from the start and I am only at Grand father stage : ( I just keep leaving it and going off on the other side of the family as i just am not 100% sure whatsthe best thing to do. Thanks for all your help jane

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2006 12:06

That would be great Helen, thank you so much for all your help

Helen

Helen Report 21 Feb 2006 12:16

Hewlett, Jabez Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1860 District: Shoreditch County: London Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 195 HEWLITT, Jabez Record Type: Marriages Quarter: December Year: 1881 District: Hackney County: Greater London London Middlesex Volume: 1b Page: 737 Baxter, Caroline Record Type: Marriages Quarter: December Year: 1881 District: Hackney County: Greater London London Middlesex Volume: 1b Page: 737

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2006 12:22

Helen A very big thank you for all that you have done, you have been so kind, if I can pay you back in credits please let me know, i belong to most of the sites and have spare units. Thank you once again, without people like you most of us would be pretty stuck. Jane

Helen

Helen Report 21 Feb 2006 12:25

No worries, it's not cost me a penny. Just can't find that bl**'#y Jabez in any earlier Census!!!! It's bugging me now.

Helen

Helen Report 21 Feb 2006 12:30

Another child for the family? Howlett, Jabez James 1883 March Births Marylebone London Middlesex Howlett, Jabez James 1884 June Deaths Marylebone London Middlesex

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2006 12:32

thanks again helen wow what a large family x

Helen

Helen Report 21 Feb 2006 12:40

I give up on the earlier Census!! The only thing I can say is that almost every Jabez born in Middlesex in 1860 +/- 2 had a father called Jabez! I suppose it's the sort of name you'd only give your child if you had to, LOL!! Please don't take that as an insult to your ancestors, my family had a thing for Enochs!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2006 12:44

Not at all Helen It is a terrible name LOL Thanks again for you time and kindness, at least I can move forwards now, I have been putting this off for a long time now, and I am on here most of the time and have spent many hours trawling through the census. Thanks again. Jane