Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone read this?....Sorted!..Thanks to all!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 10:25

Please see below....

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 10:25

Can any one make out the age of Richard W Tomkins, visitor, in the 1891? RG12/1390 Folio 54 Page 15. Many thanks Chris

Georgina

Georgina Report 27 Feb 2006 10:28

Chris it looks like 5. Georgina.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 27 Feb 2006 10:29

looks like 5 very hard to see with big cross on it Jeanette

McAlp

McAlp Report 27 Feb 2006 10:30

It's 52 Chris Ann

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 10:31

Thanks Georgina and Jeanette I thought so too....Which makes him in two places that night :( Chris

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 27 Feb 2006 10:31

i can't see a 2 next to the 5 Jeanette

Georgina

Georgina Report 27 Feb 2006 10:31

Chris this could be his birth... Births Dec 1885 Tomkins Richard William Lambeth 1d 479 Georgina.

Merry

Merry Report 27 Feb 2006 10:32

I agree, 5.....he had no marrital status, which is how if should be for a child and here's his birth reg: Name: Tomkins, Richard William Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1885 District: Lambeth County: Greater London London Surrey Volume: 1d Page: 479 Lambeth covers Brixton Merry

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Feb 2006 10:33

It certainly looks like 5, although it has been transcribed as 51 going by the birth year given in the transcription. Kath. x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 10:35

Ann Please point me as to how to see the 2....If it is 52 it solves a major problem :) Georgina Yes thats the birth I have for Caroline's (Who Richard is visiting) Grandson. Chris

McAlp

McAlp Report 27 Feb 2006 10:37

Chris if you go further down and look at other 2 also of first page it says 52 b: 1839 Brixton London Ann

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 10:37

Merry Thanks.....Now to solve the being in different places on census night. Essex with Grandmother and Southwark with mother :(( Chris

Merry

Merry Report 27 Feb 2006 10:40

Most likely he was physically with granny (if he didn't usually live there!). Maybe the parents filled up their form a few days before (you were NOT supposed to do this!) and so included him with them, not knowing he would be absent on census night.......Or maybe they thought they should include him because he was their child, no matter that he was absent! Some people wouldn't have read the fine print! Merry

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 10:43

Ann Sorry....Me being thick....Are you looking at the image for him as visitor at Thundersley Essex or the Ancestry transcription which has put him as born 1839? Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 10:48

Merry A very good point....Thanks. I think you're right, staying with Nan but Mum and Dad (Richard too) include him on their form. The only other option was that this was a Richard in his 50's and was Richard's Grandfather (also called Richard Grrr) who was visiting his Grandmother....But I just couldn't see it somehow. Tooooo many Richards for my liking lol Chris

McAlp

McAlp Report 27 Feb 2006 10:57

Sorry Chris had another look magnifyed image to 125% and it does look like 5 Was he born in Brixton? maybe we could have a look and see if he was put on the census at home by parents Ann But on Ancestry the page with his details says 52

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Feb 2006 11:07

Ann Thanks for having another look...Ancestry's transcriptions are a pain aren't they :( Thank goodness we can see the images and not have to rely on their interpretation (sp) lol He is also 'supposedly' at home with mum and dad, from the census return, but Merry has given a brilliant suggestion as to why that happened. Thanks again Chris