Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with 61/71 lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 15:10

I'm trying to discover who one of my ancestors sisters married. She was Mary Ann NOTTINGHAM b Cheltenham Glos, c 1831 Free BMD doesnt give any cheltenham marriages for a Mary Nottingham in the 1850s but there is a plausible 1855 marriage fro a Mary Nottingham in Gloster in 1855: HODGSON Irton Brown JONES Mary Sophia NOTTINGHAM Mary Ann WILKES James Cummins Would somebody be kind enough to take a look at the 1861/71 censuses to see if there is either a Mary Ann WILKES married to a James or a Mary Ann HODGSON married to a Irton Hodgson If i had to guesss I would bet she is married to a Wilkes as she came from a poor family and Irton sounds a bit too upmarket! Obviously the fact that the alternative bride is also a Mary makes things difficult. Thanks for any help Wade

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 15:11

I'm trying to discover who one of my ancestors sisters married. She was Mary Ann NOTTINGHAM b Cheltenham Glos, c 1831 Free BMD doesnt give any cheltenham marriages for a Mary Nottingham in the 1850s but there is a plausible 1855 marriage fro a Mary Nottingham in Gloster in 1855: HODGSON Irton Brown JONES Mary Sophia NOTTINGHAM Mary Ann WILKES James Cummins Would somebody be kind enough to take a look at the 1861/71 censuses to see if there is either a Mary Ann WILKES married to a James or a Mary Ann HODGSON married to a Irton Hodgson If i had to guesss I would bet she is married to a Wilkes as she came from a poor family and Irton sounds a bit too upmarket! Obviously the fact that the alternative bride is also a Mary makes things difficult. Thanks for any help Wade

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 15:14

found in 1891 Record Marg Ann Hodgson abt 1841 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Wife Stapleton Gloucestershire View Record Trton Brown Hodgson abt 1835 E Indias, Madras Presideney Head Stapleton Gloucestershire it is mary . he was a copyist

Merry

Merry Report 8 Mar 2006 15:18

1861: Mary A Hodgson: John Harrison abt 1852 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Nephew Bristol St James Gloucestershire Jeton Hodgson abt 1834 Ind British Subject, Berkhampoor Head Bristol St James Gloucestershire >>>>Mary A Hodgson abt 1836 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Wife Bristol St James Gloucestershire Susan Nottingham abt 1800 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Mother-in-law Bristol St James Gloucestershire Conveniently has her mum living with them!!!!! Irton has an unusual occupation: Designer of patterns for embroidery. Merry

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 15:20

1861 John Harrison abt 1852 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Nephew Bristol St James Gloucestershire View Record Jeton Hodgson abt 1834 Ind British Subject, Berkhampoor Head Bristol St James Gloucestershire View Record Mary A Hodgson abt 1836 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Wife Bristol St James Gloucestershire View Record Susan Nottingham abt 1800 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Mother-in-law Bristol St James Gloucestershire wasn't her mother helpful LOL

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 15:21

Interesting Jeanette Irton Brown Hodgson is such an unusual name it must be him esp as he has married a Mary Ann But the 1841 date looks dodgy as she would have only been 14 in 1855 maybe there is a mistake and she was born 1831. MAry Ann NOTTINGHAM is I think 19 on the 1851 census and living with her sisiter Elizabeth.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 15:23

could this be her? HODGSON, Mary Ann Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 59 Quarter: June Year: 1895 District: Barton Regis County: Gloucestershire Volume: 6a Page: 80 (click to see others on page)

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 15:24

cool. Well she was an embroiderer in 1851 so i think we can build up a picyture of what happened!

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 15:31

from 1851 to 1861 only gained 6 years Jeanette

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 15:47

Many thanks guys Looks like they had no kids

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 15:50

could this be parents 1851 John an Artist 60 Sandford Place John H Hands abt 1822 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Visitor Cheltenham Gloucestershire ===View Record John Nottingham abt 1790 Norwich, Norfolk, England Lodger Cheltenham Gloucestershire ===View Record Susan Nottingham abt 1801 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record Joseph Patterson abt 1838 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Son Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record Mary Ann Patterson abt 1834 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record Sarah Patterson abt 1808 Denford, Somerset, England Head Cheltenham Gloucestershire

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 15:55

1871 2 Smith Street Record Charles F Marshall abt 1811 Bath, Somerset, England Head Lambeth London View Record Elizabeth Marshall abt 1831 Bristol, Somerset, England Wife Lambeth London View Record Frank Marshall abt 1856 Clifton, Somerset, England Son Lambeth London ==View Record Susan Nottingham abt 1799 Bristol, Somerset, England Mother-in-law Lambeth London good old mum wanted to make sure you knew who her daughters have married Susan a widow now Nottingham, Susan Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 75 Quarter: June Year: 1872 District: Sheffield County: South Yorkshire West Riding of Yorkshire Volume: 9c Page: 253 (click to see others on page) age a bit out perhaps forgot how old she was

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 16:18

excellent info Jeanete I knew John was an artist I had him at 1800 rather than 1890 Could you take a peek for a Louisa NOTTINGHAM b 1866 in cheltenham I think she may have been born into either john or Williams's family (Mary Ann's briothers) but myabe have died or become a servant by 1881 as I hadnt seen her on the 1881 but she shows upo in 1the BMD. Getting sisyter Elizabeth's husband is very useful as that had me stumped This means that the nephew John Harrison must be from the sister of Irton Brown as know that Mary Anns other sisiter married a Kenny

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 16:23

have you seen Elizabeth's year of birth I think I found her in 1881 year of birth 1827 a widow living on own in 1851 her year of birth was 1820. I will go and look for louisa Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 16:25

1871 Record Ellen Nottingham abt 1870 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record John Nottingham abt 1823 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Head Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record John Nottingham abt 1861 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Son Cheltenham Gloucestershire === View Record Louisa Nottingham abt 1866 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record Lucy Nottingham abt 1835 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Wife Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record Mary A Nottingham abt 1863 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Cheltenham Gloucestershire View Record Walter Nottingham abt 1859 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Son Cheltenham Gloucestershire

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 16:32

I think Elizabeth NOTTINGHAM (Marshall) was borjn 1820 it would be interesting to see if you could find them in 1861 and see if there were more kids at that stage. I cannot find Frank on the 1881 census Wade

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 16:50

Hi Jeanette. It seems I muddled up the various Louisa Lottinghams The younger one b 1866 married a Kenny therefore it is possible that Mary Ann's sister Louisa Nottingham c 1826 Cheltenham did marry a Harrison and thereofre the John Harriosn nephew you discovered maybe a clue. Canwould it be possible to have a look for a Louisa HARRISON b 1826 wife born Cheltenham in the 71 and 61 censuses to see if we can locate her? MAny thanks for your efforts Wade

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 17:02

no couldn't find one Jeanette only this one looked on 1851 she was married to a Charles Harrison 1861 Frederick Harrison abt 1852 Bedminster, Somerset, England Son Bedminster Somerset View Record Louisa Harrison abt 1823 Bath, Somerset, England Head Bedminster Somerset View Record Louisa Harrison abt 1854 Bedminster, Somerset, England Daughter Bedminster Somerset View Record Robert Harrison abt 1850 Bedminster, Somerset, England Son Bedminster Somerset View Record William Harrison abt 1846 Bedminster, Somerset, England Son Bedminster Somerset 1871 Charles Harrison abt 1866 Bristol Son St Philip and St Jacob Gloucestershire View Record Henry Harrison abt 1865 Bristol Son St Philip and St Jacob Gloucestershire ===View Record Louisa Harrison abt 1825 Bath Head St Philip and St Jacob Gloucestershire View Record Louisa Harrison abt 1854 Bristol Daughter St Philip and St Jacob Gloucestershire View Record Robert Harrison abt 1850 Bristol Son St Philip and St Jacob Gloucestershire

Wade

Wade Report 8 Mar 2006 17:24

Thanks for trying jeanette I think Louisa NOTTINGHAM b 1826 is still unmarried and living in cheltenham in 1851 so the Louisa HARRISON married to Charles in 1851 cant be the right one if the 51 Louisa was born in bath or bristol, then it would seem that the later one was probably not her. Of course the John HARRISON nephew may have been Irton's sister s child so the Harrison might have been a false clue. MAny thanks for trying