Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

OOOOO! Who is THIS in My Contacts?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Mar 2006 22:47

Just been playing with My Contacts and found - sorry for this - Fuller Shite! As I looked in disbelief, he/she disappeared! In anyone else's contacts? Olde Crone

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Mar 2006 22:52

Just cheched - not in mine at all. The only new name I don't reconise is The Ice Queen, but I reconise the messages we exchanged so I know who they are.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Mar 2006 22:53

Are you sure this was in your contacts? as i get this with my HOT MATCHES

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2006 22:56

There are a few very sad people on this site who have nothing better to do with their time. I hardly ever look at my 'contacts'. I wish they stayed in alphabetical order (I'm sure they used to) because I can never find people in mine and the list is too long for me to be bothered to sort them out and get rid of some. Kath. x

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Mar 2006 22:58

If you click on the word date it puts them with the last person you had contact with. Jeanette

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Mar 2006 23:04

Iam Not Here You could be right - I was trying to cross-check Hot Match people with My Contacts. I am off to have a look - and find out their membership number. Not particularly bothered, just amazed that a name like that got past the GR Censors! Olde Crone

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Mar 2006 23:07

Olde Crone, Its just every time i even just think about my hot matches, that name is what comes to mind.

Sunny Rosy

Sunny Rosy Report 8 Mar 2006 23:09

I found a name that was offensive and reported it to GR, they deleted it. sunny

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Mar 2006 23:09

Olde Crone Cheers, I've just spent a jolly 10 minutes deleting all the contacts I no longer wish to contact from My contacts - 10 minutes to delete 2 pages, with all those 'This page cannot be found' screens and having to return to the home page and go on after each deletion. nell

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Mar 2006 23:15

Er - just realised I have 36 pages of Hot Matches and cannot be bothered to go through them all to find this saddo again, for the reasons that Nell has just outlined above! (Why does it HAVE to be so difficult to delete anything on this Site?) Olde Crone

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2006 23:33

I've just made a start on deleting some of my contacts. I started with 28 pages - just given up and I've still got 27 pages to go - it's an absolutely mad system. When I finally get round to clearing them all out, I must try to remember to clear them weekly. Kath. x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Mar 2006 23:41

I think that contacts ARE alphabetical........... its a weird way of doing it........the ascii codes cause confusion, some of the symbols and the way that their nom de ploms work, upset the normal rhythm Bob

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2006 23:46

Then I really wish people would just use plain ordinary names to make it easier on the eyes, lol. When I started on the site people mainly used proper names, so it probably did seem more alphabetical then. Thanks Bob. Kath. x

merseybabe

merseybabe Report 9 Mar 2006 00:52

Sorry shouldnt laugh,but that just creased me up i'm tickled,sorry Ann Still laughing this morning.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Mar 2006 01:56

OMG..........I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. Laughing so much I slid off my seat.

Michael

Michael Report 9 Mar 2006 02:15

Almost all my contacts use their real names. I did once know someone who used a particular four-letter obscenity as part of his email address, but when the organisation with which he was using that address objected he changed it. I wish GR wouldn't automatically record everyone you've ever sent or received a message from as a contact; it creates an annoying backlog that takes ages to clear. Not as bad as the entirely inappropriately named 'Hot Matches' though. I have never established a link via this route - the HMs at the top of my list are the people I already knew I was related to, and the rest are the ones who happen to have a John Jones or William Hughes born a few hundred miles away in the same year as mine.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Mar 2006 07:55

Jeanette (and any others who haven't discovered this) The date-ordering of contacts isn't by order of Last message, but First. So, if you contacted someone two years ago, and then contact them today, they'll still be well down in the list and not at the top. I find that unhelpful. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Mar 2006 11:41

That's all very well Keith, but I may be deleting a contact from page 7. When I click on the bin it then takes me back to Page 1. It would help if we could click on all the contacts on the page which we want to delete but then delete them in bulk through a button at the bottom of the page.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2006 10:34

nudged for Kimbo

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2006 10:36

PMSL Nice One Aunty Crone!! Heh Heh!! ;o)))