Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mothers name on a death cert....under occupation!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 17 Mar 2006 20:48

I have recieved a death cert today for a baby of 15months, I'm puzzled though as in the occupation box there is the mothers name then her occupation (cook, domestic servant). Surely if they were to put any name on a cert wouldn't it usually be the father's even if he was deceased?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 17 Mar 2006 20:51

Death cert have informants details. Is that what you can see? Glen

Clare

Clare Report 17 Mar 2006 20:53

No the informant was an aunt who was present at the little girls death. The mothers information is in the box usually for occupation thats whats so puzzling!!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 17 Mar 2006 20:58

Me too,couldn't tell you why. Most unusual. Glen

Clare

Clare Report 17 Mar 2006 21:00

I'm hoping the birth cert may arrive tommorrow....I have a feeling the child may be born out of wedlock....it doesn't make sense!!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 17 Mar 2006 21:08

Just out of interest what year is this,i have one coming for a twin to granny,he died at about 3 months,c1911. Just in case.............. Glen

Clare

Clare Report 17 Mar 2006 21:10

Glen its for 1890!!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 17 Mar 2006 21:14

Thankyou,if anything comes to light in the meantime i'll watch here Glen

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Mar 2006 21:18

I suspect that if the mother is named the father is unknown. nell

Clare

Clare Report 17 Mar 2006 21:24

I'm so curious esp as the child has two surnames. I thought maybe she was a child from a second marriage but the mother would of been 55 & the names don't fit ..... I hope this is a mystery I can solve!!

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 17 Mar 2006 21:29

I would think its probably because the Father was unkown. I've just recieved 2 deathc certs for young children and in both the occupation baixes it says Daughter of XXXXXXXX Caol Hewer.

Clare

Clare Report 17 Mar 2006 21:34

Thanks thats what I thought I wait for the birth cert to prove it....though why would the aunt register the death & not the mother & why 2 surnames?

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 17 Mar 2006 21:38

Could be that the Mother was ill or exhausted, or had to look after baby. I've got an great great (X 2) auntie who had an illigitimate baby, no father on birth or baptism - but later in life she has (what I suppose to be the Fathers name) as a double barrel surname. Maybe you do need to wait for the cert! Good luck!

Clare

Clare Report 18 Mar 2006 10:03

Unfortunatly the cert didn't arrive today!! The first surname comes from another relatives second husband which is why I'm confused!!

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 18 Mar 2006 12:51

Have a look at thi web site. Excellent descriptions for certificates and the boxes. www.dixons.clara(.)co.uk/ the following is from the death certificate page under occupation box (for childrens deaths): For a child it will say Son or daughter of..............(fathers name)..............(his occupation). Again there is no reference to the mother until 1969 unless the child was illegitimate in which case it will say Son or daughter of...............(mothers name)............(her occupation). Gill

Kate

Kate Report 18 Mar 2006 12:54

Could be that the aunt was present when the baby died and the mother wasn't, or the mother was just in no fit state to register the death - remember deaths have to be registered within a few days. I have a baby's death certificate where the death was registered by his great-aunt although both his parents were living at the address. Kate.

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Mar 2006 13:38

It looks like the baby was born out of wedlock and since the child was 15 / 12, mum could have gone back to work as a servent leaving her child with the aunt (? her sister?). If the Aunt was married, no-one would have questioned the apperence of a baby in the household. Remember that children born out of wedlock were shund as were the whole family. People offten did anything they could to hide the fact that the parents were not married - even fakeing a pregnancy in the childs grandmother or married aunt, consealing the pregnant girl until she gave birth and passing the child of as someone elses baby. My grandmother was shund and accused of having lose morals because she and my grandfather were seen to be pushing a pram very soon after they had married. The child in the parm was not my grandmothers but no-one bothered to ask. The child was the daughter of a local man whose wife had just died - the older children were able to stay with their grandmother but none of the family would / could take a baby. My nan took putty on him an cared for the child in the day while he worked so he didn't have to put baby into a childrens home. The arrangement went on for years as my mother will occasionaly refer to the baby as her sister and yet mum is the only daughter. This was only 50 years ago, imagine what it would have been like years before.

Clare

Clare Report 18 Mar 2006 15:01

Thank you its all becoming clearer...... I just hope I will be able in the next few days be able to place this little girl & her mother on my tree as yet Im unsure where they fit!