Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any ideas please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 14:03

Searched till I'm blue in the face for my great grandmothers death, still cannot find her. Problem is........she and g grandfather were not married, he was to another woman.........but ggmother called herself Mrs, and widow in 1901 after he had died. Her name was Amelia Holland b 1863 Great Budworth Ches. His name John William Flinn b 1858 Manchester. She doesn't show up under either Holland or Flinn. Any advice on what to do next would be most welcome......Thanks.

Heather

Heather Report 24 Mar 2006 14:07

Have you tried different spellings of Flinn? If she died after him then may be a neighbour or something reported the death and didnt know the spelling. Flynn? Flynne?

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 14:14

Yes Heather I did all that, though I suppose I could have overlooked it, will keep trying though. It was always spelt Flinn.........her last known address was 14, Gaylor street, Manchester, from where my gran, her eldest daughter got married in 1907. I'm sure she was still alive in 1907/8 at least, as that is when her first born came into the world and when she was still pregnant, she went back to mum after a tiff with hubby, but had the door shut in her face............so i have searched from 1907 up to 1920. Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 14:33

Hi Lin,ask for a trade directory look up for Gaylor street after 1907 see if she's listed and under what name. I wonder if she knew my Gt and Gt Gt Grans they lived on Gaylor st around 1913!!

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 14:39

Really Andrea......now that is a coincidence wow!! Something we'll never know though eh? She could still have been there at that time though? Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 14:43

Mrs Amelia Flynn,householder,14 Gaylor street in 1909 from www(.)historicaldirectories(.)org Slaters 1909 image 332 Maybe she got married for real?

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 14:48

That's brill Andrea Thanks, they got the spelling wrong.......should be Flinn, now just need to find her death??? Good work.......... Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 14:50

I just saw your other thread-Gaylor street isn't in Salford,it's just up Oldham Road,Manchester

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 14:53

No she didn't get the chance to get married for real Andrea, ggrandad died at 33 in 1892 Mar qtr, and immediately after that his real widow re~married........so it wasn't meant to be for them. I know Amelia lived until she was a tleast 48, what I was always told anyhow. So must have died around about 1911 ish........ Will go back and look under All spellings of Flinn..........again lol! Thanks once again Andrea. Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 14:54

This is probably a long shot,but on Lancs bmd there is a marriage of an Amelia Holland and a Robert Simmons,Liverpool st peter *** I meant to someone else!!!

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 14:57

Sorry Andrea, have removed thread now, see how it's got me lolol ~ or cry!!!!!!! So many of my rellies come from Salford, Manchester, Oldham Road way, Harpurhey, Collyhurst etc........ Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 15:00

Lin,got any Byrons,Watsons or Pollitts from Oldham rd,Collyhurst etc

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 15:00

Yes, I think I have come across that myself Andrea but, gave it no thought, because there was never any mention of a re~marriage and I'm positive mum would have known about that and told me before she passed? Lin

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 15:02

Sorry Andrea can't help you there lol Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 15:03

Oh well,it was worth a try!!

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 15:05

Are you from Manchester yourself then Andrea, if so what area? Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 15:07

Yeah,I'm in Hulme,or as the posh people in the flats say,Castlefield

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 15:08

Yes, heard of Hulme, don't remember ever getting out that way myself, is it near Gorton? Lin

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Mar 2006 15:12

No,it's a few minutes south of the City centre Is Gorton where you're from?

Jen ~

Jen ~ Report 24 Mar 2006 15:17

No had an aunt live there, just thought it was near by? I was born in Collyhurst, have lived in Blackley, then Harpurhey, brother still lives there. Now in the big smoke lol. Lin