Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HETTY?? short for what?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi

Naomi Report 24 Mar 2006 21:25

does anyone know what hetty is short for?

Dea

Dea Report 24 Mar 2006 21:26

Could be Harriet or Henrietta. Dea x

Fiona

Fiona Report 24 Mar 2006 21:26

Might be Henrietta?

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Mar 2006 21:27

My mother's great aunt Het was actually called Esther, but she always thought her full name was Harriet.

Kila

Kila Report 24 Mar 2006 21:27

My nan was known as Hetty, And her name was Henrietta. Hope that helps!! Kila

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Mar 2006 21:28

But I think it could just be a name in its own right too.

Ginny

Ginny Report 24 Mar 2006 21:28

Could be Esther

Naomi

Naomi Report 24 Mar 2006 21:31

cheers for that.....ive found a marriage for henrietta.....in the right place+the right time,but i need her parents names+it doesn't tell you on freebmd. as it was 1906 it won't be in IGI.....where else will tell me the parents names?

Dea

Dea Report 24 Mar 2006 21:32

I am afraid you will have to order the cert. Dea x

Naomi

Naomi Report 24 Mar 2006 21:34

santa will come before the cert. ive given up with the GRO......you just cant get the staff these days!!!!!!! xxxxxx

Emma

Emma Report 24 Mar 2006 21:35

If she's got an fairly unusual surname you may be able to find her with parents on a census. If you want both parents names, you'll have to order a birth certificate. The marriage certificate will only give you her father's name but it's a starting point. Emma

Dea

Dea Report 24 Mar 2006 21:36

I KNOW what you mean - Try the local Register Office. Dea x

Kila

Kila Report 24 Mar 2006 21:38

Hi, What area are you looking for? My certs take about 10 days here in Gravesend Kent/ Kila

Esther in Souwest er

Esther in Souwest er Report 24 Mar 2006 21:42

My grandmother's name was Hetty and it is a name in its own right though I did read somewhere that it is a shortened version of Esther, Harriet ,Henrietta ect Hetty

Naomi

Naomi Report 24 Mar 2006 22:23

hi kila, they are all in the london area.......i cant even remember what i ordered now so it will be a nice surprise when they eventually come! rachel

Carter

Carter Report 24 Mar 2006 22:26

yip everyone is right my mums name was henrietta and everyone called her hetty. i think hetty is a lovely name and could do with a revival. love linda x

Carol

Carol Report 24 Mar 2006 22:29

My mother in law is called Hetty but her real name is Harriet. Carol www*genealogyprinters*com

Kath near the Crooked Spire

Kath near the Crooked Spire Report 24 Mar 2006 22:55

I knew someone called Hetty - her real name was Ethel Kathleen