Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 ancestry - What the H*L is going on?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 1 Apr 2006 23:53

Am I the only one that is having a real big problem with the 1881 census on Ancestry, first it stopped you from searching address and NOW it wont even find a person by their place of birth!!!!!!!!! Suzanne

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 2 Apr 2006 00:35

I have jsut searched for a rellie I KNOW I have found before on 1881, wrote down all the info and found her family members. I put in the same information, hit search, and all the people with the same surname, but her first name was their middle name or initial, were on the top of the list. My Rellie was about two pages in, using 50 per page!! So yes it IS messed up, and I bet it's because some new stuff has gone on there recently. (only guessing, I don't know for sure) T x

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Apr 2006 00:40

Know exactly what you mean Sue...Am having the same trouble so much so have cancelled my membership, seems to be since they added all the BMD stuff the whole thing has awry..Pat

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 2 Apr 2006 09:10

someone said about tihs yesterday afternoon - was ok for me- and by last night there we not even any Smiths in surrey - kick it someone! Jess

Perranmaid

Perranmaid Report 2 Apr 2006 09:46

are we talking US or UK.

Merry

Merry Report 2 Apr 2006 11:09

I am using the couk one and two days ago it was as it has been for ages.......box for potential address ......etc etc Yesterday the address box vanished and also if you searched with no name sometimes you got no results. eg i tried asking for all the people born in Southampton and it said ''none''!!! Sure! Today, the address box is still not there, but everything else seems to be working as normal. Don't forget, you can still search by address on the 1861 and 1891 on 1837online. And also on the Nat Archives 1901 available through this site (though yesterday I couldn't make that work either!! ''Page not found'' LOL) Merry

Vicky

Vicky Report 2 Apr 2006 12:53

something weird is going on First in the Free BDM index, it told me I had insufficient information to find any deaths between 1880 - 1890 this was for a ranked search with just a name that isn't particularly unusual. So i tried again - and it couldn't find me any SMITHS who'd died in that period either! Secondly, I was going through the censuses to track a family, and I tend to use the back arrow a lot to swap between years for this. It couldn't find me anything for one year so I scrolled down to amend my search criteria. Somehow it had managed to dig up a list of canadian provinces rather than English counties - but the previous 'country' box still said England. Hardly surprising I couldn't find any Edward Robinsons - there wouldn't be many people living in Manitoba, England LOL

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Apr 2006 12:55

I own up, it's all my fault! They're obviously downloading all the name mistranscriptions I've reported to them :-)

Sharon

Sharon Report 2 Apr 2006 12:58

Janet, how did you manage to do that? I've found a pile of big boo boos and couldn't see how to report it.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Apr 2006 13:18

I had problems using the country of birth slot - but got round it by putting ''Ireland'' in the Keywords box! Christine

Suzie

Suzie Report 3 Apr 2006 07:15

OH heaps of trouble and its not just with 1891 census! The other day it would not let me view anything (kept telling me to upgrade, well can't go 'up' any further) and today there is no ranked searches only exact! To report an error, when you finally manage to get a record open there is on the right hand side a box that has corrections/comments. If you click on that you can submit a name error. I don't think you can submit anything else just yet Maybe they are getting ready to launch the 1841 census??????

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 3 Apr 2006 08:36

I thought it was just me-being computor illiterate!!! I keep switching from ancestry to familyearch when on the 1881, sometimes it's on one, somtimes on the other!!!! Carol

Kate

Kate Report 3 Apr 2006 08:43

Suzanne, I think that they are supposed to reply within 2 working days, but you will almost certainly get a standard (vague) response with nothing specific to show that they have read your particular message in it, and they assume that your query has been resolved by such a reply unless you then reply to that. Kate.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 4 Apr 2006 01:54

Well Ive heard from Ancestry and they reckon its because IM not clearing my cache and deleting files? I replied by saying that it wasnt only ME and that I clear my cache and delete files on a regular basis so dont think it can be that. Update: today I have no address box at all for the 1881 census although I can now search by name and birth place!!!! Makes it quite exciting not knowing what you will be able to do every time you go to use it! :) Suzanne

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 4 Apr 2006 18:02

IT IS DRIVING ME POTTY ACCORDING TO 1881 CENSUS THERE ARE NO jOHNS BORN MIDDLESEX THAT SHOW ON THE 1881 - YES, OK, RIGHT................

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 5 Apr 2006 22:04

LOL... Jess. Im glad its not just me!!! heard from Ancestry again today....do they not read their emails or does english not translate well to americans!!!! Still No address box showing on the page. I can search by name and birth place OK now but still no address box......... Im getting so many different opinions saying its fine and saying its not. Can evreyone that cares to please tell me if on the 1881 search page of Ancestry whether they have a search box on there that says ADDRESS???? it used to be just before the box that says 'county or island'. Suzanne

babs123

babs123 Report 5 Apr 2006 23:35

No Suzanne you're not going potty!! There is no address box in the residence section now Kat

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 5 Apr 2006 23:41

AHHHGG... Thanks Kat .... Ancestry keep emailing me back saying its ME! Suzanne