Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Language Infirmity

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 17:05

Does anyone know what this actually means on the census please? A whole family is described as having this - are they deaf and dumb??? Thank you for any ideas? Luv Lorr x x x

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Apr 2006 17:06

No idea. I have only found people listed as deaf and/or dumb. Possibly enumerator's way of saying they don't speak English, or have a speech impediment of some kind. nell

Heather

Heather Report 7 Apr 2006 17:07

Cor, thats a new one - seems a bit too subtle and pc for back then - they normally call a spade a ********* shovel. Be interesting to know the answer. .

Merry

Merry Report 7 Apr 2006 17:09

I would have thought if their language infirmity was caused by deafness, it would have stated they were deaf............ All I can think of would be if they had a cleft palate which makes clear speech difficult. Whilst I know this can sometimes be hereditary (I know a father and son with it), I would doubt everyone in a family might suffer? How many in the family?? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Apr 2006 17:11

have you tried looking for the same people on another census? Merry

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 17:11

There are a whole bunch of them - my Dad was deaf and it if his descendants.................his sisters and brother were all deaf too?? I wonder? Thanks for your ideas Luv Lorr x x x

Heather

Heather Report 7 Apr 2006 17:18

As someone pointed out a while back, kids were so much more likely to catch illnesses then which would develop into deafness or other disabilities when today its usually merely a matter of a tablet or innoculation preventing that outcome. But a 'language infirmity' is so specific isnt it.

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 17:19

Here it is so you can see? SARAH JANE Female Event(s): Birth: Christening: 29 JAN 1860 Fovant, Wiltshire, England Death: Burial: Parents: Father: JAMES STACY Family Mother: ELIZA 1901 Census - Salisbury St Martin Alfred Dear Relation to Head of Family Condition as to Marriage Age Last Birthday Sex Head M 49 M Profession or Occupation Employment Status Where Born Gardener Domestic Worker Wilts Salisbury Language Infirmity Sarah Dear Relation to Head of Family Condition as to Marriage Age Last Birthday Sex Wife M 39 F Profession or Occupation Employment Status Where Born Undefined Wilts Fouant Language Infirmity Gertrude Dear Relation to Head of Family Condition as to Marriage Age Last Birthday Sex Daughter S 10 F Profession or Occupation Employment Status Where Born Undefined Wilts Bishopton Language Infirmity Frank Dear Relation to Head of Family Condition as to Marriage Age Last Birthday Sex Son S 7 M Profession or Occupation Employment Status Where Born Undefined Wilts Salisbury Language Infirmity Elsie Dear Relation to Head of Family Condition as to Marriage Age Last Birthday Sex Daughter S 4 F Profession or Occupation Employment Status Where Born Undefined Wilts Salisbury Language Infirmity Florie Dean Relation to Head of Family Condition as to Marriage Age Last Birthday Sex Daughter S 3 F Profession or Occupation Employment Status Where Born Undefined Wilts Salisbury Language Infirmity Stanley Dean Relation to Head of Family Condition as to Marriage Age Last Birthday Sex Son S 1 M Profession or Occupation Employment Status Where Born Undefined Wilts Salisbury Language Infirmity

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 17:26

Stop me if you think this is daft? It couldn't be a place could it? Salisbury language infirmity???? No probably not?? Just a thought Luv Lorr x x x

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 17:34

Yes I'd overlooked that - as though it might well be a physical affliction - like a cleft palate?? Luv Lorr x x x

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 7 Apr 2006 17:53

Where did you get this information from? I have just viewed the 1901 image on ancestry and nowhere does it say Language Infirmity for any of them. The end box for disabilities is left blank in every case. If you want to see the images for yourself (it goes over two pages), pm me your email addy and I'll send them to you. Liz

Merry

Merry Report 7 Apr 2006 17:59

It's a mystery alright.......nothing in that end column?????? Merry

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 18:00

Thank you Liz - looks like I'm on a wild goose chase..... You're very kind for looking!!! AND I'm dumb!!!! Thanks Luv Lorr x x x

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Apr 2006 18:00

I've just had a look at the image. A block of people above have a mark in the disability column. I'd guess it's a reckoning mark of some kind, but could be a ''1''. At the head of the column it says that (1) would denote Deaf & Dumb. Do you think the transcriber has just got trigger-happy and marked everyone on the page as (1)? Christine

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 7 Apr 2006 18:05

Just adding to the thread as I have some Dears in Salisbury. Need to check up when I get home if there is a connection.

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 7 Apr 2006 18:11

Looking at the transcription Lorr has provided above, it would appear that whoever transcribed the image has included the heading of every single column for each individual, the last column being 'Language/ Infirmity'. Liz

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 18:18

Thank you all for your time and effort - and thanks Liz for the census forms..... You are all stars! Luv Lorr x x x

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Apr 2006 18:21

Yes, Liz, I think your explanation is better. I did vaguely notice that, but charged on with looking at the image anyway! Christine

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 7 Apr 2006 18:25

I've just e-mailed a thank you to Liz and said to her that it's been ages since I added to Genes - been a member since March 2004. I've been on a bit of a personal mission - on-going I'd forgotten just how kind you all are! Thanks again Luv Lorr x x x

Heather

Heather Report 7 Apr 2006 18:28

What a kind thing to say Lorraine. People are happy to help members like you. So what is your next query? LOL