Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage guidance Please!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emily

Emily Report 13 Apr 2006 17:21

Rufus Clegg b c.1845. He married Annie and they had 7 children from 1872 to 1889. The only marriage I can find for him is in 1903 according to ancestry. Would this be likely for them to be married after they had had all of their children? Can anyone find anything different? Thanks in advance

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 13 Apr 2006 17:22

Hi Emily Whereabouts in the country are we looking??? Sarah :)

Caz

Caz Report 13 Apr 2006 17:24

Just a thought but maybe he did it to legitimise his children.did he die soon after or did one of his children get married son after? Carole

Dea

Dea Report 13 Apr 2006 17:24

whereabouts did they live? Dea

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Apr 2006 17:30

Have you gone through the GRO marriage indexes for every possible year, or just looked on Freebmd, which isn't complete? Have you looked on www.familysearch.org? nell

Emily

Emily Report 13 Apr 2006 17:32

Rufus was born in Batley. They moved to Newcastle. the marriage I found was in Newcastle.

Caz

Caz Report 13 Apr 2006 17:34

Do you know Annie's maiden name?

Emily

Emily Report 13 Apr 2006 17:36

The one I found was McAllister, but don't know for definate that it's the right Annie. Although, I do suppose Rufus Clegg isn't a very popular name.

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 13 Apr 2006 17:37

Is this your family in 1891 census abt 1873 Providence Rhode Island, Providence, United States Son Benwell Northumberland Annie Clegg abt 1851 Scotland Wife Benwell Northumberland Annie Clegg abt 1876 Scotland Daughter Benwell Northumberland Fannie Clegg abt 1880 Newcastle Upon Tyne Daughter Benwell Northumberland Isabella Clegg abt 1879 Newcastle Upon Tyne Daughter Benwell Northumberland Nellie Clegg abt 1874 Mortlach, Canada Daughter Benwell Northumberland Rufus Clegg abt 1846 Battey, Yorkshire, England Head Benwell Northumberland If it is I'd of thought the marriage may have taken place in Scotland This looks like his death Rufus Clegg Birth Date: abt 1845 Year of Registration: 1905 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun Age at death: 60 District: Newcastle Upon Tyne County: Northumberland Volume: 10b Page: 34 Sue

Dea

Dea Report 13 Apr 2006 17:38

I think this is most likely - no Annie though - perhaps it was a later second marriage.?? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Jun 1865 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Broadbent Mary Dewsbury 9b 827 Clegg Rufus Dewsbury 9b 827 Popplewell Jane Dewsbury 9b 827 Dewsbury is next to Batley Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 13 Apr 2006 17:41

Interesting things to follow there - he spent some time in America and also in Canada. Passenger lists + census etc. Dea x

Emily

Emily Report 13 Apr 2006 17:42

The marriage I found was in Newcastle. In various census i found him married to annie.

Dea

Dea Report 13 Apr 2006 17:45

Yes, but by the looks of it - he didn't arrive in Newcastle 'till c 1879?? There was probably more than one marriage. Which census do you have him in? - Can you give a reference? Dea x

Caz

Caz Report 13 Apr 2006 17:45

1903 QTR Jan-Mar Rufus Clegg Annie McAllistair Newcastle 10b 249

Dea

Dea Report 13 Apr 2006 17:51

I meant a reference to the census's you have him on with Annie. I would presume she is his second wife? Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 13 Apr 2006 17:55

Can't see any other marriages, but he could have married in USA or Canada inbetween to another Annie? Worth looking there? Dea x

Emily

Emily Report 13 Apr 2006 17:59

Thanks for pointing it out, I only have Annie on 1891 census and 1901 census. Maybe he was married abroad.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 13 Apr 2006 18:47

To be certain of what is going on, you really need birth certificates for the children. One possible scenario is that Rufus splits up from his first wife, possibly while abroad, comes back home and sets up home with Annie. He only maries her when he is sure that his first wife is dead.