Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 20 Apr 2006 22:32

I have an ancestor - Ellen Mills (I hear people groaning lol) - who married my GGGrandfather in Jan 1860. I cannot find her before the marriage. The BMD register has been trawled, the censuses have been trawled. Is there any other way I can find out who she was??

Sam

Sam Report 20 Apr 2006 22:32

Where/when was she born? Do you have the marriage cert and if so, who was her father and what was his occupation? Sam x

Janice

Janice Report 20 Apr 2006 22:33

Do you have the marriage cert? Is she a spinster or a widow? Janice

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 20 Apr 2006 22:37

She was born c1841 in London/Middlesex. Her father, according to the marriage cert, was John who was a Labourer. I don't have the cert, but I think it said Spinster. My dads cousin has the cert. They married in Sheffield, and in 1861 are living in Hathersage, Derbyshire which is where he was born.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Apr 2006 22:39

Hi Tracy Hope you are well. Could it be she was born before her Mum and Dad were married and is registered under her mother's maiden name? Jeanette x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 20 Apr 2006 22:43

Jeanette, I'm quite excited about 1841, what about you? lol Unfortunately, that is a very distinct possibility :( Knowing this, I applied for a cert that we found in the GRO register. I have found the mother, Mary, who had Ellen the day AFTer the census (how typical?!) but I can't find them in 1851.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Apr 2006 22:53

Tracy Can you post any details you might have for the family and someone may be able to find them Jeanette x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 20 Apr 2006 22:59

For them, all I know is Mary Mills, c1820 Mary Mills, c1839 Ellen Mills, b1841 Ellen was born in Whitechapel Workhouse. Mother Mary wasn't born in county :(

Grandma6

Grandma6 Report 21 Apr 2006 08:58

Ellen Mills born Whitechapel 2nd qtr 1841 Ref 11 551 ( Roman 11 ) Eileen

June

June Report 21 Apr 2006 10:49

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983 Record about Ellen Mills Name: Ellen Mills Year of Registration: 1841 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: Whitechapel County: London, Middlesex Volume: 2 Page: 551 (click to see others on page) June x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Apr 2006 12:03

Thanks ladies. That's the cert I bought :)

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 21 Apr 2006 12:31

Hi Tracy Have yoou looked at the London Metropolitan Archives website, to see what workhouse records survive? Mary might have been examined when she went into the workhouse, which might give details of where she was from, so it would be worth asking if someone could do a look up.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Apr 2006 13:15

Just to let you know Tracy, I had a look for them on the 1851 last night without any success :-(

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Apr 2006 13:23

Ohhh.. I didn't know about those records :) Will have a google tonight! Jeanette, thanks for looking :)

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Apr 2006 13:44

I couldn't see anything for Whitechapel Workhouse on the LMA site :( I'm either looking in the wrong place, or it's not there.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 22 Apr 2006 00:29

Sorry for raising your hopes, only to dash them: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Whitechapel/Whitechapel.shtml#Records It looks as if they don't survive.

Georgina

Georgina Report 22 Apr 2006 00:34

Was her father John Mills or was that her mothers maiden name? Georgina.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 22 Apr 2006 20:38

Thanks anyways hon. Anything's worth a try :) Georgina, on the marriage cert her father is listed as John Mills, Labourer. However, I can't find a child with that father in 1851 (except one who I know isn't mine). I found a birth cert with no father, and that is the one who was born in the Workhouse.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 24 Apr 2006 23:07

Any other suggestions?