Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whats your best find on 1841?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 20 Apr 2006 22:35

see below...

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 20 Apr 2006 22:35

Has getting the long awaited 1841 helped you? The only thing I have found so far is...... An even bigger headache! Good luck to you all Gerri x

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 20 Apr 2006 22:39

and there was my thinking you were going to say you had found your Matilda!! Haven't found much I didn't already know yet, but haven't had chance to go through it with a fine tooth comb yet Linda x

Joy

Joy Report 20 Apr 2006 22:44

Yes - I only really wanted one find!!! I'd searched many a film of the 1841 census.... village by village etc. And there they are........ in the poorhouse. Life must have been hard. And he ended up in the same place at the end of his life. Joy

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 20 Apr 2006 22:47

Oh dont go there Linda!!!!!! pleeease! My flippin Matildas an even bigger mystery now!....I think she's with the Wood family now! and with two Parkes women!!!!! If one was her mother she would have been only aged 9 when she had her.......the other one that was a good possible lived next door! Aaaggghhhhh! I'm not gonna talk about flippin matilda NO MORE! Nobody wanted her when she was alive and i dont flippin want her now! she's driven me insane! (I love her to bits really lol) I need to hear others success stories....... Gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 20 Apr 2006 22:53

Lucky you Louise :-))) A Thompson with an 'h' and a 'p'....oh joy indeed :-)) Joy..never mind at leaste he/they didn't starve. Gerri x

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 20 Apr 2006 23:06

I have got a family of Burches and I found one with a middle name Silver. Not so much a family tree more a woodland.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2006 23:08

Hi Gerri Sometime ago, I spent all afternoon at the records office trawling fiche to find my great-gran and her parents on the 1841 census. Found one couple in the right area and then the next page was black with the notice 'This piece has not been filmed' so i thought my family were missing. I've just done a search and they are there!!!! By the way, I have Parkes in my family too. Heather

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Apr 2006 23:18

Oh Gerri! I have JUST found my gt gt grandmother! She has the unusual name of Chowns, so you'd think she would be easy to find, except that she is in 1851 mistranscribed as Thomas. I had a possible 1841 for her as a servant in Bermondsey, which someone else had found for me. It said born Surrey, but the age was right. The surname was so badly written it could have been anything. BUT TONIGHT I found her - in Stoke Poges which is where she was brought up! Yippee! nell

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 20 Apr 2006 23:28

OMG Heather! Parkes?.... It's too late right now to tell you about my flippin Matilda parkes?/Powell?/Horton/Poole/Horton<<<<Yes! in that order..... but I'm sure you must have seen my old threads moaning about her....lol...over n over again! Maybe another day when you have a few months to spare to read it again? lol ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CONGRATTS little Nell!....lucky you! I'm so pleased for you. I have no good news about my lot but it's almost as nice to hear of others :-))) Gerri x

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2006 23:36

Gerri, I know all about your flipping Matilda, lol. My great-great Grandma was a Parkes from the Oldbury area and grandad's aunt married a Parkes etc. etc. Thought I was going around in circles then it seemed like a figure of eight.....now it's a muddle, lol. Heather

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 20 Apr 2006 23:47

Heather It sure does sound like your lot are somehow related to my muddlin lot! I thought this ages ago!....we just have to find the link!........but not tonight josaphine! (as they say) lol I've been up since 5am and am 'cream crackered' Just once more round the block (1841) then I'm hitting the hay..... Happy hunting everyone Gerri x

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2006 00:15

I've confirmed who my gt gt gt grandmother's parents were, as she is staying with them in 1841 - with her 3 children. Interestingly, she is with her 3 children and her husband several miles away at the same time!

Gary

Gary Report 21 Apr 2006 08:01

as i ventured £22 on British Origins i have had all the 1841s i need months ago and found the rest at record offices, what Ancestry need to do much more importantly than the 1841, which is very limited, is to scan the parish registers, now that would be a giant leap forward

~˜Kim in

~˜Kim in Report 21 Apr 2006 08:07

Gerri, it hasnt helped me as yet, i was looking forward to finding my sandles and markwick's in sussex, but its drawn a blank, but im sure i will find loads of others in my tree kim

Roger in Sussex

Roger in Sussex Report 21 Apr 2006 10:17

I found where my gg grandaunt was on census night. She was a servant at her future parents-in-law's pub, so she married the bosses' son! Haven't found him in 1841 yet though.

Ann

Ann Report 21 Apr 2006 11:03

I have confirmed some family folklore, that my g-g grandfather came form Wales to Somerset, fathered 3 illegitimate children with 2 different women, neither of whom he married as apparently he already had a wife in Wales. Just found him last night with his 'first' family- not only a wife but 6 children!!! One of whom had the same name as my g-grandmother, one of his illegitimate daughters. I can't believe he abandoned 6 children, I always thought of him as a bit of a rascal, I am not sure how I feel about him now !!!

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 21 Apr 2006 11:09

she's not mine - all my research is packed away (Grrrrr) but I wish she was!! Name: Rachael Parkinson Age: 103 Estimated birth year: abt 1738 Household: View other family members Gender: Female Where born: Durham, England Civil parish: Jarrow Hundred: Chester (East Division) County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Source information: HO107/298/8 Registration district: South Shields Sub-registration district: Westoe ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Folio: 10 Page: 15 (click to see others on page) Line number: 9 GSU Number: 241347

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 22 Apr 2006 23:48

Looks like it's been worth the wait for alot of you :-)) Gary Parish regs on line?....Now that's in ALL our dreams!.... Kim It's too early to be wearing sandles luv! Happy hunting ;-)) Ann You sure your G.G.Granfather isn't related to my flippin matilda? Jess I wonder if anyone will notice if I swop my flippin Matilda for Rachael Parkinson? My Matilda died aged 71 but if she had lived to 103 she could have fitted in a few more hubbys! (god forbid!) lol I think it's time to put my Matilda to bed once and for all now. (All together now.......aaawwwww) I can only presume that she was born out of wedlock and past from pillar to post around anyone that would have her :-(((( Unless any of YOU have a better idea? If you PM me for details...get ready with your feet up for a long read! lol (and put the kettle on 1st) Happy searching to you all :-))) Gerri x