Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thanks Phoenix re TNA see message 17...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 13:22

See below in b****y ages.....Sob....Merry x

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 13:32

About three or four years ago hubby visited TNA. He asked to see the WW1 army documents for my great uncle, Lieut Clifford Stanley Clark. He was given the documents to view and he used his digital camera to photograph them. Unfortunately, when he got home we found the camera had been playing up and the photos were completely out of focus and unreadable - however, the documents were definitely for my Clifford. Recently I ordered the same documents via TNA estimate service. They arrived today, but they are for the wrong person, so I must have picked the wrong ref from the PROCAT catalogue, though there is only the one ''Clark C S'' :o(( My question is (because I am not getting complete sense out of hubby!).........when you visit TNA and want to see some documents, do you use the PROCAT catalogue to find the record (the same as if you are at home) or is there a different way of picking up the correct index reference number?? Hubby had no problem getting the correct record on his visit. Anyone got a Lieut Colin Stanley Clark they have forgotten to add to their tree? (born Durham 1895).....I cannot see that anyone has him on this site, but would be happy to give the documents I have purchased to a family member. Happy Hunting (for the right person!) Merry

Janice

Janice Report 21 Apr 2006 13:37

Hi Merry, Were these filmed documents or paper documents? If paper, they come in a big box and you have to go through them to find the ones you want. If there's another chap with the same name you could easily pick up the wrong ones. Can't you ask TNA to send you the correct ones - it's their mistake. Janice

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 21 Apr 2006 13:41

Hi Merry In answer to your question, yes, your hubby would have used Procat to order the documents. You should be able to check what he ordered. Get him to cough up his TNA card. Log on using it and you can jiggle around until you find a list of past orders. That will tell you exactly what he ordered and when, so if it was an individual document, not a box, you can be certain of the reference number. How certain are you of your hubby, though?! Doesn't he note date of visit, ref no of order and brief abstract? Are you certain that he found the right doc?

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 13:43

Well.......the ref I gave ''WO 339/41591'' is written on all the documents and the initials are the same as Clifford's. Surely they will say they sent me what I asked for, just that I asked for the wrong persons record? And how did hubby find the correct record?? He says they only brought him the papers for one person, not a box. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 13:45

LOL You don't know hubby (Phoenix)!! He def had the right documents.....I remember a typed letter in it about Clifford's death written by his father, that we could read...... Did he note when he visited and what he asked for........I could send you a photo of his desk if you like! LOL Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 13:46

He has gone to fetch his card..... Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 13:47

Got the card.....am going to jiggle! LOL Thank you....will let you know....... Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 13:50

Deep depression.....the card has expired :o(( So.....I suppose I will have to go up there? Is it worth ringing? Merry

Janice

Janice Report 21 Apr 2006 14:12

Merry, I've just checked those details and have come up with the same reference number you've got. I would phone the TNA and ask them for advice. Good luck, Janice

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 14:13

All right then Janice......I will have a go in a minute! Merry

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 21 Apr 2006 14:16

Hi Merry This is definitely worth a phonecall. The details should still be there and although a new card has a different number your profile remains the same. It's one of the best features of the system, enabling you to see what you ordered and when.

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 14:18

Thanks Phoenix....off to phone them NOW! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 14:29

The person I need is not available .....they are going to phone me back! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 14:51

Waiting for their call........have found hubby's out of focus photos and def my Clifford and not Colin...... also have the date of hubby's visit.......13th Aug 2003 at 4.06pm! If there are two Lieut C S Clark's but only one reference number, there must be something funny happening!?? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 21 Apr 2006 16:47

Agggghhhhh!! Hubby's readers ticket will have to be ''unlocked'' by someone important who has already gone home today! If they can unlock his readers ticket then they can find out what ref he viewed in Aug 2003. They accept there are two Lieut C S Clark's (because I say so! LOL) but only one catalogue reference. They cannot say what has happened to the record for my g-uncle :o(( Except that they may never find it :o(( Sob........sob......sniff......... The person I spoke to was EXTREMELY nice and helpful (except for not having all the answers....) - he said working at TNA is likened by the staff to working at Argos!! You know how they can never find the item you want in the warehouse, even though the store computer says there are three in stock! I have to laugh, or I would cry...........:o(( Merry

Merry

Merry Report 25 Apr 2006 10:37

Phoenix....... Thank you so much for your tip about getting hubby's readers ticket unlocked....... I spoke to a lovely chap just now (Dave Priest) at TNA. He was able to check hubby's card and, low and behold, hubby viewed TWO army records on 13th Aug 2003! The first one was the chap with the correctly indexed initials (C S Clark) who was the wrong man and SECONDLY a record for a C Clark, which was obviously the right man as we have the blured photos to prove it!!! So, Dave is going to go and dig out both records and arrange for my Clifford's items to be re-indexed with the right initials! Everyone I have spoken to has been SOOOOOO helpful (just like the peeps on here, actually!) ....... So thank you to all who suggested I phone and to Phoenix for telling be to push for them to check the readers ticket info..... I am SO CHUFFED, it really looks as if they will find these documents after all! Merry (VERY HAPPY TODAY!! LOL)

Julie

Julie Report 25 Apr 2006 10:46

I was just browsing the messages (being nosey/searching for tips!) and I just thouight I'd say I'm glad that things have worked out with your records. You and others seem to give so much advice to others (me included!), it's nice that you got help when you needed it.

Merry

Merry Report 25 Apr 2006 10:48

LOL Thanks Julie! Merry