Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 19:42

Hi, all, could I ask for a census look up please. The subject is Henry Butler, born Limehouse c1853-54. His father was Charles.I have him on his marraige in 1875, age 21, a labourer. Any help greatly appreciated. Donna.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 24 Apr 2006 19:54

sorry can't see any with limehouse as birth place or with father charles Jeanette

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Apr 2006 19:56

This looks like a possibility, although Limehouse isn't mentioned: 1871 2 Lees Buildings, Moorfields, Hackney View Record Robert Butler abt 1823 Aldgate, Middlesex, England Head St Leonard Shoreditch London View Record Sarah Butler abt 1826 Lambeth, Surrey, England Wife St Leonard Shoreditch London View Record Charles Butler abt 1852 Shadwell, Middlesex, England Son St Leonard Shoreditch London View Record Henry M Butler abt 1855 St George in the East, Middlesex, England Son St Leonard Shoreditch London View Record Louisa Butler abt 1858 Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Daughter St Leonard Shoreditch London

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 19:57

Thanks for looking, Jeanette, this particular ancestor is proving elusive.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Apr 2006 19:58

The occupations are hard to read; I think Robert's an optician's assistant, and Henry and Charles' occupation looks like 'driver of commercial (something)'.

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 20:01

Thank you, Mary, but my Henry's father was charles, the name on Henry's marraige certificate. Thank you though for looking. Donna.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Apr 2006 20:01

Sorry, the father isn't Charles, though. These were the hits for Henry Butler born Middlesex 1853 +/-2: Henry Butler abt 1854 Bromley, Middlesex, England Son Bromley St Leonard London Henry Butler abt 1853 London, Middlesex, England Son St John The Evangelist London Henry G Butler abt 1855 London, Middlesex, England Boy 2nd Class Royal Navy Hampshire Henry M Butler abt 1855 St George in the East, Middlesex, England Son St Leonard Shoreditch London Henry Thos Butler abt 1853 Hounslow, Middlesex, England Ni;Se Ealing Middlesex None of the others has a living father called Charles.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 24 Apr 2006 20:05

who did Henry marry perhaps find her and find him in 1881 and see where he thinks he was born.What county did they marry in? Jeanette

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Apr 2006 20:10

Is this the right family in 1861? 68 Broad St., Tower Hamlets Cha Butler abt 1818 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Head Stepney Middlesex, carpenter Sarah Butler abt 1823 St Geo, Middlesex, England Wife Stepney Middlesex Sarah Butler abt 1843 St Geo, Middlesex, England Daughter Stepney Middlesex Henry Butler abt 1856 St Geo, Middlesex, England Son Stepney Middlesex Ellen Butler abt 1860 Ratcliffe, Middlesex, England Daughter Stepney Middlesex Catherine Butler abt 1860 Ratcliffe, Middlesex, England Daughter Stepney Middlesex

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Apr 2006 20:13

Limehouse was a sub-district of Stepney registration district.

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 20:16

Hi, Jeanette and Mary, Henry married Rosina Alvarez in Stepney in 1875. According to the marraige certificate, Henry's father Charles was a labourer. On the 1881 census, Henry and Rosina, along with 3 children are living at 3 custom Street, West Ham. Henry is now a Stevedore and gives his place of birth as Limehouse, Middlesex. Donna.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 24 Apr 2006 20:21

This lot look as if they should be part of the picture, even if not your target group... James Butler abt 1824 Windsor, Berkshire, England Head Bromley St Leonard London Ann M Butler abt 1824 Holy Head, Berkshire, England Wife Bromley St Leonard London Ellen Butler abt 1862 Limehouse, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Mary A Butler abt 1864 Limehouse, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Rachel Butler abt 1866 Limehouse, Middlesex, England Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Christine

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Apr 2006 20:22

The marriage entry on FreeBMD's a bit of a mess: Marriages Dec 1875 ALVERY Rosina Stepney 1c 1037 ALVREY Rosina Stepney 1c 1037 BURNS Henry Stepney 1c 1037 BUTLER Henry Stepney 1c 1037

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 20:23

Hi, Mary, I have written down the info, it may be right, thank you for the help. Donna.

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 20:26

Thanks, Christine, there were a load of Butler families around the area at the time. I will keep the info, it may tie in one day. Grateful for your help. Donna.

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 20:31

Hi, Mary, the marraige entry is correct. It ties in with all the oral family history. Rosina is descended from a Spanish Surgeon ( her father, Jose Alvarez De La Rosa ) So I know I am on the right track there. Donna.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 24 Apr 2006 20:31

Intriguingly ALL those marriage entries do appear in the GRO index (which is one of the printed pages - not script)! I've just looked at the Ancestry beta GRO index. Perhaps he's difficult to find because he sometimes called himself BURNS and not BUTLER??? Christine

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 24 Apr 2006 20:38

1861 could this be him same birth place as 1891 68 broad street head carpenter Record Catherine Butler abt 1860 Ratcliffe, Middlesex, England Daughter Stepney Middlesex ===View Record Cha Butler abt 1818 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Head Stepney Middlesex View Record Ellen Butler abt 1860 Ratcliffe, Middlesex, England Daughter Stepney Middlesex ===View Record Henry Butler abt 1856 St Geo, Middlesex, England Son Stepney Middlesex View Record Sarah Butler abt 1823 St Geo, Middlesex, England Wife Stepney Middlesex View Record Sarah Butler abt 1843 St Geo, Middlesex, England Daughter Stepney Middlesex

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 20:44

Hi, Jeanette, have you actually found him on the 1891 census ! and married to Rosina ? What site are you using ? Eternally grateful, Donna.

Donna

Donna Report 24 Apr 2006 20:48

Christine, with this man anything is possible ! On the 1901 census his name is Harry ! his death in 1916 takes years of his age, why did they not make their descendants job easy to find them ? Donna.