Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

YORKSHIRE!!!! Why do they have to be so difficult

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Apr 2006 19:24

Im sorry, but Im a southerner through and through so excuse me if I cause offence (not intended). But why oh why does Yorkshire have to be so difficult and name areas West Riding, East Riding, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Middle Yorkshire, Upside down Yorkshire!!!! Cant Yorkshire just be Yorkshire for G*D's sake? Got that off my chest. Thank you. Suzanne

Anne

Anne Report 27 Apr 2006 19:28

Go to GENUKI which helps to make it clear! There's a list of all Yorkshire places. Anne (Yorkshire lass)

Vicky

Vicky Report 27 Apr 2006 19:31

cos its a BIG county LOL If you think having three ridings is confusing, don't try looking for old wills. The bit I'm interested in (in North Yorks) came under the diocese of CHESTER. Genuki is useful for helping sort things out. (snap Anne - us Yorkshire folk are canny aren't we!)

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Apr 2006 19:32

Eeh,thas nowt awkard about Yorkshire tha'nos. Nowt Genuki wain't tell thee lass Glen

Vicky

Vicky Report 27 Apr 2006 19:41

sorry Glen I spent most of my life in exile, so I don't speak the lingo now. I have a real problem here, with the locals not understanding my broad East Lancs accent. I live in South Yorks now, about as far from my Yorkshire roots as its possible to get & still remain in the same county. Until the reorganisation in 1974 it was the WEST Riding.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Apr 2006 19:44

Thanks people, you Yorkshire Lasses and Laddies are obviously lovely people and I will go to the Genuki site to get info. Suzanne XX

Irene

Irene Report 27 Apr 2006 20:22

Where are you looking for in Yorkshire. I might be able to help as I live in West Yorkshire, formerly West Riding.

Llamedos

Llamedos Report 27 Apr 2006 20:30

Hi Suzanne, Yorkshire is a very big county - originally divided into 'Ridings'or areas - so, you have North Riding = North Yorks, East Riding = East Yorkshire, and so on. By dividing Yorkshire into segments makes it easier - not harder. More difficult to understand is North Humberside - now that's really hard to sort out - this title has gone, but authorities and businesses STILL use this unoffical area in their data bases. Yorkshire is a GREAT County, as are its people - there is life above Watford Gap........strange but true! David

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Apr 2006 20:32

Suzanne As a Lancastrian, I could offer lots of suggestions!! Only joking, honest.......I've got several Yorkshire friends. There were only three Ridings.......as the term originally was 'thirding'. There was no South Riding. Reg

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 27 Apr 2006 20:41

Just wotch it Reggie lol!

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 27 Apr 2006 20:47

David, alas you are wrong. North Riding doesn't necessarily equate to North Yorkshire and East Riding doesn't necessarily equate to East Yorkshire etc. The Authorities never make it that simple!!! When re-organisation came parts of what was North Yorkshire are now in Lancashire or West Yorkshire (consult genuki etc to locate exact place changes) and parts of East Yorkshire became North Yorkshire or Humberside. So you see, that's why people have problems with Yorkshire!!!! Not that we're troublesome you understand - LOL Snowdrops

Caz

Caz Report 27 Apr 2006 20:48

ooh reggie are you after reviving the war of the roses? Carole (from t'other side o't moors but now on t'other side o't Channel)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Apr 2006 21:21

Carole What do you mean.......revive it? Didn't know it had ever ended........lol And I've STILL got lots of Yorkshire friends.......... Reg

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 27 Apr 2006 21:23

Yes, for example I live near Knaresborough which is North Yorkshire, but West Riding lol. (We aim to confuse at all times). 'ey up chuck wotch out for them there pie eaters lol.

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 27 Apr 2006 21:34

EEE, Margaret, and I live in Harrogate (there's a few of us on this board you know!!) Snowdrops

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 27 Apr 2006 21:43

Sheffield South Yorkshire and proud! Na den dee, tint nowt difficult or'e yonder tha kno's Joanne

Jenny

Jenny Report 27 Apr 2006 22:07

Skipton, North Yorkshire former West Riding and dangerously close to Lancashire border!!!!

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Apr 2006 22:17

PMSL.... LOL...... You see.... how difficult this Yorkshire thing is! Im sorry I dont care how Big the pace is I still say Yorkshire should be Yorkshire! Suzanne :-)

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 27 Apr 2006 23:09

Born in Horsforth but Scottish. I`m doing the census transcription of 1871 for Horsforth -if there are any names you want me to look out for let me know, Ros