Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SORTED - Thank you Update I'm Stuck - First of man

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 18:47

I have today received my FTM disc which I have installed on my PC, so this will be the first question but not my last! Right here goes: I am presuming that the first thing I need to do is export my GR family tree, I have done this before but using a PAF file, so how will the system know to now send it to FTM and not a PAF file. Hopefully someone will be able to make sense of my ramblings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Vanessa x

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 28 Apr 2006 19:07

GR sends tree to your email as a GedCom. you then transfer it to FTM via a file you make when you get the email. I did it this morning no probs_ and I dont know a key board from a washboard! Sylvia.

Perranmaid

Perranmaid Report 28 Apr 2006 19:08

Just testing out the how before I give you a full answer. You will need to use GEDCOM format will give a fuller answer in a bit when I have done it myself.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 19:10

Sounds easy peasee, will give it a go fingers crossed. Thank you Vanessa x PS: What's a washboard (only joking)

Dennis

Dennis Report 28 Apr 2006 19:11

hi Venessa, If you use the import/export tree on this site your Gedcom file will be e-mailed to you, so it says, then you could save this in 'my documents' then usung FTM go to file then new then select your Gedcom file from the box that opens, hope this helps.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 19:12

Ok will wait a minute to see how you get on. Thank you. Vanessa x

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 19:13

Hello Dennis, I've exported from here before and it's just automatically opened up in my PAF file but as this was the only file it could open in perhaps this time it will ask me? Vanessa x

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 22:06

I have now exported my tree from here and when I open it, it will only save it as a PAF file, and therefore cannot get it to open in my FTM as that doesn't recognise a PAF file. Sorry to be soooo thick, what am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated. Thank you Vanessa x

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 22:29

Alan, Sorry I still cannot open. When I open the email from GR it says you must make a new PAF file, it doesn't give me the option to open as anything other than that. So I do that then open it from my desktop and re-save it as a FTW file, then export to the downloaded file from my disk. However, when I open it up there is no information there. Am I missing something. Thank you for your help. Vanessa

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 22:38

Alan, No sorry still won't let me open it. It says that it doesn't recognise the file type. It really must be me doing something wrong. Thank you Vanessa

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Apr 2006 23:01

Vanessa. GR will have sent the GEDCOM as an attachment, go to your email, right click on the attachment and select save targat as, save in my documents folder and give it a name so you can find it again, then open FTM click on file, then click on, open, then click on the file you just saved, and click on open, and it should load. Roy

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 23:11

Hi Roy, Thank you for the response. I can only 'Save As' if thats what you mean by 'Save as Target', so I've done this saved it to my desktop, when I open up FTM it will only find the files which are in that format and will not find anything else. Vanessa

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Apr 2006 23:35

Vanessa, I don't no what operating system you have, but you should be able to save it in the my documents folder, when you say save as you should be able to select the my documents folder, I think your problem could be that you are saving it to your desk top. Roy

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 23:37

Roy, It's all sorted now thank you. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but it just seemed to open up in the end after several attempts. Thank you for all your help. Vanessa x

Heather

Heather Report 28 Apr 2006 23:53

Oh, thank goodness Vanessa, now relax and enjoy!

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 28 Apr 2006 23:56

I may just even have a glass of somethine to celebrate - is it too late? Thanks Heather. Vanessa x

Heather

Heather Report 28 Apr 2006 23:57

Never too late - damn shame it can be too early!

Heather

Heather Report 30 Apr 2006 10:39

THIS IS THE RIGHT ONE! - NUDGED