Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 29 Apr 2006 18:26

ive just started to look into my family tree. ive got the basics mapped out but trying to find more details on my family seems to be proving difficult. the names that are causing problems are monkton and carter davis. it seems to come up with hundreds of entries when i partially enter details however if i do an exact serch or fill in all the details i draw a blank...can anyone help?

Dea

Dea Report 29 Apr 2006 18:36

Give some details and we can take a look. Dea x

Heather

Heather Report 29 Apr 2006 18:37

What are you looking at - census?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Apr 2006 18:40

If you're using the census returns on Ancestry, try using the exact search, but just put in the name and approximate birth year. Sometimes it's better to put less into the search boxes. Kath. x

Christine

Christine Report 29 Apr 2006 18:46

okay im trying to look up ann/annie monkton and Robert edward carter davis (carter davis being the last name) im trying the census on ancestry but nothing so far

Helen

Helen Report 29 Apr 2006 18:48

surname will probably just be under Davis, people didn't seem to have double surnames in those days. Try putting Carter (nothing else) in the first name box, it will probably work that way.

Heather

Heather Report 29 Apr 2006 18:49

Come on, a bit more info please! Dates and places of birth?? What are you working back from and what do you want to find? Are these a couple - if so when are they likely to be together as married people? Do they have any children - what is the year of birth for the eldest one please? They arent by any chance Welsh are they? If so, are you looking under the Welsh section?

Kate

Kate Report 29 Apr 2006 19:00

Robert Edward Carter Davis is very likely listed as just Robert Davis on the census. I remember when I started out having endless trouble finding some of my ancestors because I thought it would give their full names, but often middle names were left out altogether or reduced to initials. Also they weren't usually too particular about spellings, so he might appear as Davies. As for Ann / Annie, she could also be listed as Anne. Also, there are mistakes in transcription, so they might be difficult to find for that reason. If you put whatever details you have on here, and which census you are trying to find them on, we can all help look! Kate.

Christine

Christine Report 29 Apr 2006 19:00

the information i have rom my grand mother is that anne monkton and robert edward carter davis were married around 1914. he was from upway (?) in weymouth and she was from bitterne in southampton. their eldest daughter was born in 1924 (2nd of feb to be exact) they lived in Southampton...not sure on the area as my grand mother gets vague after that. both anne and robert were born around the 1880's tho she isnt sure when exactly (his birthday is 29/10)

Heather

Heather Report 29 Apr 2006 19:03

Hey, this looks like Annie: 1891 View Record Annie Monckton abt 1885 Southampton Daughter All Saints Hampshire View Record Emily Monckton abt 1845 London, England Wife All Saints Hampshire View Record Emily Monckton abt 1878 Southampton Daughter All Saints Hampshire View Record Florence Monckton abt 1875 Southampton Daughter All Saints Hampshire View Record Montague Monckton abt 1872 Wimborne Son All Saints Hampshire View Record Rose Ellen Monckton abt 1882 Southampton Daughter All Saints Hampshire View Record Thos Monckton abt 1837 Wimborne Head All Saints Hampshire

Kate

Kate Report 29 Apr 2006 19:04

Is this Robert's birth and marriage, from FreeBMD? Births Dec 1891 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Davis Robert Edward C Southampton 2c 26 Marriages Mar 1915 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Davis Robert E C Mon[co]ton S.Stoneham 2c 121 Moncton Annie Davis S. Stoneham 2c 121 (that [co] means the transcriber wasn't sure if it was a c or an o, but it was actually Moncton) Anyway, if that is him, it shows that his surname was considered to be Davis, not Carter Davis, at least by officials! Now, if that is them, it must be the 1901 you are trying to find them on? (By the way, I started cutting and pasting this before you put up when and where they were born and married, but it looks as though these are the right entries!) Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 29 Apr 2006 19:07

Anyway, I think your best bet will be to get their marriage certificate and Robert's birth certificate, and then you will have their fathers' names and occupations, plus Robert's mother's maiden name (though I bet it is Carter) to work from. Kate.

Christine

Christine Report 29 Apr 2006 19:27

thank you. i had looked int he 1901 and the one previous just in case. we dont actually have any documents relating to them in our house. they were all taken by one of the daughters (june who had no children) and no on eknows what happened to them after her husband died or where his second wife is to ask if she has them. could i go to the local registry office and ask for copies?

Heather

Heather Report 29 Apr 2006 21:27

Well according to the 1891 Annies parents are Thomas and Emily.

Heather

Heather Report 29 Apr 2006 21:49

And two different spellings!

Kate

Kate Report 29 Apr 2006 23:27

Christine, you can order the certificates online from the GRO at Southport. The website is http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp When you put the order in, select 'yes' for 'Is the GRO Reference known?' and put in the details from the entries listed above as name, quarter, year, district, volume and page number, and that is all you need to specify. For example: Births Dec 1891 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Davis Robert Edward C Southampton 2c 26 You order a birth certificate for the October - December quarter of 1891, name Robert Edward C. Davis, district Southampton, volume 2c page 26. Each certificate will cost you £7. You can also order them from register offices, but it has to be from the register office for the district where the certificate was issued, not necessarily your local one. I thought it looked straightforward till I saw that extra marriage entry! Just seeing if I can figure that one out...back in a little while... Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 29 Apr 2006 23:34

No, that is weird, the marriage does indeed appear in two consecutive quarters, with her name being Annie Monckton on the first one and Annie Moncton on the second one. I haven't got a clue why that would happen! Whichever of the two marriage certificates you order should give the fathers' details. I think if it was me I would be tempted to order both to find out why it is on there twice, but of course that would cost you twice as much! And of course, Annie's father's details would help you to confirm whether the Annie on the census is the right one or not! Kate.

Christine

Christine Report 30 Apr 2006 09:17

okay well...ive ordered all three certificates fron the website will be interesting to see if either of the annies is the right one.im intregued about the marriage. i know my nan seems to think that there was an issue with annie marrying robert but why would they get married twice? could it have been annuled?

Kate

Kate Report 30 Apr 2006 10:55

I think if it was annulled it is supposed to be crossed off the GRO index, but hopefully when you get the certificates there will be some kind of explanation of why they are listed twice, or at least a clue! Kate.