Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing Charles Bradlaugh Irvine place and date of

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 30 Apr 2006 16:23

Hello All Hi there! I am not having any luck tracing my great grandfathers birth. I have his marriage certificate; married: 09/11/1907 Islington Name: Charles Bradlaugh Irvine Age: 22 Wife: Alice Maude Pollard in 09/11/1907 in Islington fathers: Jonathan watson Irvine. I cannot trace Charles in 1891 or 1901 census. I cannot trace his birth. Nor does his father appear in any searches. Any help or suggestions on how to find his place and date of birth would be appreciated! Thanks Joanna

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 30 Apr 2006 16:36

have you tried scottish records (name irvine suggests this might be the case?)

Joanna

Joanna Report 30 Apr 2006 16:42

Hi Suzanne I understood from my grandfather that his father Charles was English and Charles' father (jonathan watson irvine) was scottish. I wonder whether you are correct though and Charles was in fact born in Scotland as I have not been able to trace him in the English records Do you know of a which site I can use to search for a birth in Scotland? Many thanks Joanna

Georgina

Georgina Report 30 Apr 2006 16:43

Joanna this could be his fathers birth from the IGI... JONATHAN WATSON IRVINE Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 13 JUL 1844 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: DAVID IRVINE Family Mother: HELEN WALKER Georgina.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 30 Apr 2006 16:44

The main site for scottish records is: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ Suzanne

Joanna

Joanna Report 30 Apr 2006 16:47

Thank you

Heather

Heather Report 30 Apr 2006 16:48

Could this be your Jonathan in 1891? Elizabeth S Irvine abt 1888 Scotland Daughter Northwood Hampshire Helen W Irvine abt 1890 Scotland Daughter Northwood Hampshire Jonathan W Irvine abt 1860 Scotland Head Northwood Hampshire Margaret Irvine abt 1861 Whitby, Yorkshire, England Wife Northwood Hampshire Alice L Jeffrey abt 1875 Isle of Wight, Cowes Servant Northwood Hampshire Arthur Irvine abt 1885 Scotland Son Northwood Hampshire Don't know where Charles is. There is a Charles Irvine in Hornsey North London, in school of about the right age Heather

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 30 Apr 2006 16:49

Joanne , remember you mentioned before about Bradlaugh being a Scottish name as one of my ancestorts had the same middle name and he was from Scotland. Funnily enough he was Charles Bradlaugh Graham Ros

Georgina

Georgina Report 30 Apr 2006 16:50

Joanna what was his occupation on his marriage cert? Georgina.

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 30 Apr 2006 16:52

CHARLES BRADLAUGH WAS A FAMOUS POLITICIAN!! Ros

Georgina

Georgina Report 30 Apr 2006 16:57

But what has that got to do with Charles Bradlaugh Irvine? or were they one and the same? Georgina.

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 30 Apr 2006 16:59

Nothing -I know but Joanne asked on a previous thread about the name BRADLAUGH and where it came from -she may have forgotten that , Ros

Joanna

Joanna Report 30 Apr 2006 17:05

Hi All Thanks so much for your help. I also saw the 1891 census detail but was confused by the absence of Charles so thought perhaps it was the wrong family. The birth detail for Jonathan may well be correct. I have no records of jonathan's parents names yet to verify this. I could not see an IGI for Charles. Charles' occupation on his marriage cert is metropolitan police constable. joanna

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 30 Apr 2006 20:29

Isn`t it strange how people name their children after politicians.When my mother found the name Bradlaugh she researched it, Ros

Joanna

Joanna Report 1 May 2006 13:50

Yes, I can't imagine it being done today! I do have my suspicions that he changed his name to that of the politian as there is no record of his birth in that name and the census information that may show his father in hamsphire, has an arthur at the age that Charles would have been. I don't know how I could begin to find that out though!

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 1 May 2006 14:24

That`s interesting , Joanne -didn`t think of that before. Mine was born CHARLES ICONOCLAST BRADLAUGH GRAHAM!!?? Ros

Joanna

Joanna Report 1 May 2006 14:32

Thats even more specific! Did he change his name or was he given that name?

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 1 May 2006 14:36

That`s his birth name , Ros