Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any good research sites other than Ancestry.com?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 1 May 2006 15:34

I need to look up UK and Canadian birth, marriage and death records as well as census records pre 1901 and have just gone to sign up with Ancestry.com but they dont accept the debit card that I have. Can anyone suggest any other good sites for this information as I am new to geneology and a google search produced mind boggling amounts of sites to try! Thank you.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 1 May 2006 15:40

You could try putting ''sites'' into the thread search. I think there's a thread called ''best ever sites'' or something. Having said that, Ancestry really is a great resource for UK research, particularly back to 1837: with the GRO transcriptions/images back to 1837 and the censuses back to 1841. If you're having problems with Ancestry, you can get a fair way with FreeBMD and FreeCEN - if your ancestors lived in the counties which have been transcribed and didn't choose to be BMD in the quarters/years which haven't been transcribed yet! A number of counties have their own BMD sites, too. ukbmd.org.uk has a whole list of useful URLs really well organised. Christine

Donna

Donna Report 1 May 2006 15:51

Thanks Christine, I did try FeeBMD and FreeCEN but they dont have the records I need. I'm so disappointed about Ancestry, I just phoned them but it seems no credit card then no way, they just dont accept my debit card (arghhh!!). Will trawl google again but thanks for replying.

The Ego

The Ego Report 1 May 2006 15:57

What areas do you suspect you will be needing for censi etc in england?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 1 May 2006 16:00

Do you have a large number of family in any one county? It might be worth joining the local FHS (or whatever it calls itself). They often have spcial resources and some of them are restricted to members - or much cheaper for members. What about the FHS online site? There's link to it from the ukbmd site I mentioned. That's pay-per-view. The quality of info varies - I know we went up a blind alley for some time because a FHS census transcription hadn't included marital status and the wife's name stayed the same for the ones either side of the target census. We hadn't realised that Elizabeth in 1851 wasn't the same as Elizabeth in 1871 (or whenever it was). It only fell into place when I looked at the images on Ancestry. Is there anyone who could give you membership as a birthday or Christmas present? (Potentially long wait, I know, but that might work.) You'd have to stay on good terms if you didn't want them cancelling it unexpectedly! Christine

Donna

Donna Report 1 May 2006 16:08

The ancestors I want to get more info on are from Cardiff and London. I will try FHS online, thank you although I have heard from others that it took them on wrong turnings but it is better than nothing and yes, subsription to Ancestry is on the top of my Christmas list! (six months of being crawlingly nice to those likely to buy it for me - yikes!!!).

The Ego

The Ego Report 1 May 2006 16:15

British Origins has london censi for 1871 on it and old records including some burial references. You could probably join a local FHS for less than 10 quid in wales-the glamorganshire one is about £7,and of course they have access to parish records etc,which ancestry doesnt have. Genuki and Freecen-always being updated and improved-really worth a look There will be also special Local History groups in London.

The Ego

The Ego Report 1 May 2006 16:17

Also there may be OPC sites specific to your areas.(online parish clerks)

The Ego

The Ego Report 1 May 2006 16:19

2. Principal Libraries with Family History resources Local Studies Department Central Library St. David's Link Frederick Street Cardiff CF1 4DT Tel: 01222 382116 Fax: 01222 238642

The Ego

The Ego Report 1 May 2006 16:19

Monday: 0900-1800 Tuesday: 0900-1800 Wednesday: 0900-1800 Thursday: 0900-1900 Friday: 0900-1800 Saturday: 0900-1730

The Ego

The Ego Report 1 May 2006 16:21

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 5. Census returns 1841- 1891 (mostly for South Glamorgan as pre- April 1996 Welsh Local Government Reorganisation, but some coverage for bordering areas) 1881 census: Mormon index for Glamorgan county Transcripts of: Llantwit Major and District Census, 1841- 1881: Penarth and District Census, 1841- 1881: Some other local parishes, 1841; 1851 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6. Directories 6(a) County and Regional Directories 1822- 1926: Pigot's, Slater's, Kelly's directories for Wales, and some border counties: Other regional commercial directories of Wales to the early 1980s 6(b) City and Town Directories 1795- 1972: Cardiff and surrounding villages (mostly Kelly's directory, and their predecessor) 6(c) Telephone Directories South Wales, c. 1940 to date -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 7. Electoral registers and polls books 7(a) Electoral Registers Mainly Cardiff Parliamentary District from c. 1858 to date 7(b) Poll Books Cardiff, 1868 only

The Ego

The Ego Report 1 May 2006 16:22

10. Parish Registers Transcripts/ copies of some local Cardiff/ Glamorgan parish registers: Deposited copies of any parish registers and monumental inscription lists (Cardiff/Glamorgan) produced by the Glamorgan Family History Society

Donna

Donna Report 1 May 2006 16:37

Thank you so much, I would not have thought of any of those things. Dont feel quite so bad about Ancestry.com now. Thank you for your time.

Heather

Heather Report 1 May 2006 16:43

Donna, Im sure other people have overcome that problem by sending a cheque.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 May 2006 16:49

Donna, While you are waiting for that kind birthday present - a reminder that some public libraries are signing up to Ancestry so you could get free access at a local library - you'd probably need to book, though. Happy hunting! Jacquie

Donna

Donna Report 1 May 2006 16:53

I asked if I could send a cheque - they said no. Good news about the libraries though - thank you.

Kat

Kat Report 1 May 2006 16:54

hi Donna have nudged best websites for you Good luck and happy hunting Kat:)

Donna

Donna Report 1 May 2006 16:58

Thanks Kat.