Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how would I know if...........?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janine

Janine Report 1 May 2006 23:36

If i send off for a cert for my ggrandad charles chubb born 1854 in devon. How will I be able to confirm the cert I have is my G Grandad ?? what if there is another Charles born in the same area at the same time .?I could end up wide off the mark !

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 1 May 2006 23:37

Are you doing it on line? They do allow you the option to add extra checking points to ensure you have the right person.

Kate

Kate Report 1 May 2006 23:38

Janine, first you get his marriage certificate, and that should tell you his age when he got married (though it might just say 'full age', i.e. 21 or above), and also his father's name and occupation. So then when you get the birth certificate you can check if the father's name matches the one on the marriage cert. Kate.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 May 2006 23:38

You can check if there's another Charles in the same district by looking in the GRO births indexes. You can find your chap in the 1861 census and get his father's name from that and use it as a checking point when ordering the cert. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 May 2006 23:44

If this is him, its very inconsiderate not to say where in Devon he was born. Can't see him in previous censuses. 1901 Southwark Christchurch London >>>Charles Chubb abt 1854 Devon, England Head Maria Chubb abt 1855 Ireland Wife Albert Chubb abt 1882 Kennington, London, England Son Bertie Chubb abt 1882 Kensington, London, England Son Charles Chubb abt 1882 Kensington, London, England Son Laura Chubb abt 1887 Kensington, London, England Daughter Harry Chubb abt 1889 Camberwell, London, England Son Did he really father triplets? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 May 2006 23:49

1891 Camberwell London Charles Chubb abt 1855 Devon, England Head Maria Chubb abt 1861 Ireland Wife Albert Chubb abt 1884 Notting Hill, London, England Son Bessie Chubb abt 1884 Notting Hill, London, England Son Charles Chubb abt 1884 Notting Hill, London, England Son Laurie Chubb abt 1886 Notting Hill, London, England Son Harry Chubb abt 1889 Camberwell Son Camberwell London I see there's some confusion between censuses over Bessie/Bertie and Laurie/Laura!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 May 2006 23:53

This looks like the same family in 1891, but still only says Devonshire for place of birth:- Albert Chubb abt 1884 Notting Hill, London, England Son Camberwell London Bessie Chubb abt 1884 Notting Hill, London, England Son Camberwell London >>>Charles Chubb abt 1855 Devon, England Head Camberwell London Charles Chubb abt 1884 Notting Hill, London, England Son Camberwell London Harry Chubb abt 1889 Camberwell Son Camberwell London Laurie Chubb abt 1886 Notting Hill, London, England Son Camberwell London Maria Chubb abt 1861 Ireland Wife Camberwell London Looks like Bertie and not Bessie on the image. Kath. x

Kate

Kate Report 2 May 2006 08:26

As I said before, you will be best to get his marriage certificate and work back from there. Otherwise, if you find him on censuses before he was married, you still don't know for sure if you have found the right person! Kate.

Janine

Janine Report 2 May 2006 16:36

thanx for all the good advice. Think I will get the wedding cert and go from there !!! There is confusion over the names but it was Albert, Bertie and Charles Triplet brothers .My dad called them uncle A B C. I always thought that Bertie was short for Albert, didn't have much imagination when choosing names did they !!!?? mind you I probably wouldn't after pushing triplets into the world in the 1800's...oh, just the tought makes me wince. Janinex

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 May 2006 18:13

Births: Albert Arthur Chubb Bertie Robert Chubb Charles Edward Chubb Year of Registration: 1884 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Kensington County: Greater London, London, Middlesex Volume: 1a Page: 82

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 May 2006 18:29

If you have trouble finding the marriage record, you could start with one of the children's birth certs - that would give you Maria's maiden name (and any previous married name). Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 May 2006 18:37

There's always a risk that Charles didn't start out as CHUBB. For example in 1881: Name: Charles Pike Age: 25 Estimated birth year: abt 1856 Relation: Lodger Where Born: Tavistock, Devon, England Civil parish: Kensington County/Island: London Country: England Street address: 23 Petersham Mews Occupation: Groom Dom Serv Source information: RG11/22 Registration district: Kensington Sub registration district: Kensington Town ED, institution, or vessel: 1b Folio: 36 Page: 12 GSU Number: 1341005 a couple of streets away is: Name: Maria Brown Age: 28 Estimated birth year: abt 1853 Relation: Servant Where Born: Ireland Civil parish: Kensington County/Island: London Country: England Street address: 1 Queens Gate Occupation: Cook Source information: RG11/22 Registration district: Kensington Sub registration district: Kensington Town ED, institution, or vessel: 2a Folio: 43 Page: 7 GSU Number: 1341005 Both are unmarried Pike & Chubb are both kinds of fish... Not to say that this is the one you're looking for, but just that if he wasn't always a Chubb, that would explain why he's so elusive earlier on. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 May 2006 18:47

In fact there is a Charles PIKE marriage in 1882, but the brides don't look like yours, so that's a non-starter. Name: Charles Pike Year of Registration: 1882 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Kensington County: Greater London, London, Middlesex Volume: 1a Page: 261 Elizabeth Pratt, Margaret Reid Christine

Janine

Janine Report 2 May 2006 18:53

Hi Christine... I know thatmy GGran was srah harding born in Ireland aprox 1855. Realise now that I cant go through the marriage cert as I have never found A record of the marriage and wonder if it could have taken place in Ireland OR I'm just not finding it...any ideas ? Janine

The Ego

The Ego Report 2 May 2006 18:55

no-one called charles chubb were born 1853-1855 in devon

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 May 2006 18:55

But both 1891 and 1901 have Maria as the wife in the families as listed? Charles is always a groom (or ''horsekeeper'') Christine

Janine

Janine Report 2 May 2006 18:56

hristine..ignore the alst detail.....thinki'm having a senior moment. it was maria Harding , BIRTH DETAILS THE SAME THOUGH Sorry, trying to beat the timer on the oven!! Janine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 May 2006 18:57

I think you need to start with the child's cert - one of the triplets, then you're certain it's the right family. Christine Perhaps not - now you've given revised info...

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 May 2006 19:08

Certainly don't seem to be any Charles CHUBBs at the right time in Devon in the FreeBMD transcription database - just a couple of Charles PIKEs - but they're born in Newton Abbot, not Tavistock. (Still chasing after my Sherlock Holmes story - sorry!) Christine

Janine

Janine Report 2 May 2006 19:08

Hi... Charles was born in Devon...have the marriage cert of my Grandad HARRYand it says devon and he was a horse keeper.Do other people get probs like this or are my family just a difficult lot. you wouldn't thinka name like Chubb would be hard to trace, how wrong can one be !! Off to haul the dinner out of the oven, be back later. jANINEX