Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed Re; 1871 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 2 May 2006 21:39

Can anyone help me please I am trying to make out what it says in the Relation to the head of the family and the condition columns on the 1871 census for St Giles in the fields london Name of person is John Davis. Its saying the head of the family is a David Davis All help gratefully appreicated Brian

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 2 May 2006 21:46

can you give us the ref so we can look before you click to see other family if you scroll down it gives you page and Folio and RG number which RG10/ Jeanette

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 2 May 2006 21:47

hiya, when and where was john born please??? is a bit like needle in haystack without info Julie

Jane

Jane Report 2 May 2006 21:48

im struggling to find it Brian............. can you please either give us the reference number, or more details about John, age, birthplace etc. Thanks Jx

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2006 21:59

David Davis is living alone............ David Davis abt 1801 Oswestry; Denbigh Head St Giles in the Fields London Reg

Brian

Brian Report 2 May 2006 21:59

Hi all Thanks for the replys. Not sure this is the guy i am looking for, am looking for the father to a Jane Anne Davies who married a John Parsons Hillsdon in 1868. His name on the marraige cert says John Davies a linen Draper. Yes it is needle in a haystack time. The folio No of the one i am looking at is RG 10 352. Any help greatly appreciated. Brian Fry

Merry

Merry Report 2 May 2006 22:00

The only David Davis living in St Giles as a head of house, that I can see on 1871, is living alone????? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 2 May 2006 22:02

It says visitor. John is a Davies and the rest are transcribed as Daves, which is why we couldn't find them! Merry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2006 22:02

Davies is usually Welsh Davis is usually English Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2006 22:03

So, we weren't looking for Davis then? Reg

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 2 May 2006 22:08

is this the image???? View Record Mary Dann abt 1866 St Giles Daughter St Giles in the Fields London View Record David Daves abt 1825 Llandyssil, Cardiganshire, Wales Head St Giles in the Fields London View Record David Daves abt 1855 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Son St Giles in the Fields London View Record Elizabeth Daves abt 1825 Towyn, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife St Giles in the Fields London View Record Isaac Daves abt 1857 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Son St Giles in the Fields London View Record Sarah Daves abt 1859 St Giles, Middlesex, England Daughter St Giles in the Fields London View Record John Davies abt 1826 Lampeter, Cardiganshire, Wales Visitor St Giles in the Fields London julie

Brian

Brian Report 2 May 2006 22:10

Sorry Wife filled in the 1st message, as this is my first time on this part of this site. I am looking for John Davies the father to a Jane Ann Davies who married a John Parsons Hillsdon in 1868. The cert says that John Davies was a linen draper. Jane and John hillsdon married in Islington, i have found her on the 1871 census and says she was born in Wales, Montgomery Llanbrynmair, I have this place of birth but not sure where i got it from. Thanks, Brian

Merry

Merry Report 2 May 2006 22:23

This is where you found her place of birth....most of the census records where she is married, show her as born Wales, nothing more: 1901 Frederick T Hilladon abt 1894 Forest Gate, Essex, England Son West Ham Essex Jane A Hilladon abt 1851 Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales Wife West Ham Essex John P Hilladon abt 1848 Islington, London, England Head West Ham Essex William E Hilladon abt 1889 Forest Gate, Essex, England Son West Ham Essex Merry

Brian

Brian Report 2 May 2006 22:28

Cheers Merry, I am really trying to find the father, I know he was alive 3 years before in 68. Would love to find him to give me a Poss. mother for Jane. Brian

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 2 May 2006 22:38

hiya, think you ought to buy birth cert then you'd have positive id on parents julie

Merry

Merry Report 2 May 2006 22:39

No....you don't KNOW he was alive!! At least not if you are going by the details on the marriage cert! Unless the marriage was at the registry office or a registrar was present (was the case for many non-confirmist weddings) then you are reliant on the vicar for asking the right questions. Of the certs I have, where I know a father was def dec'd at his childs marriage date, less than 50% say so on the cert!!!! This seems to be because vicars didn't bother to ask......... Merry

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 2 May 2006 22:41

could this be her birth?? Name: Anne Jane Davies Year of Registration: 1853 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: MacHynlleth County: Caernarvonshire, Merionethshire, Montgomeryshire, Powys Volume: 11b Page: 201 julie

Brian

Brian Report 3 May 2006 11:10

Hi all, Thanks for all your help, i guess the only way i can be sure is to find a birth cert and check from there. Thanks Julie, yes it could be her, but it does state on her Marraige cert and on all census returns i have her in as Jane Ann, but hey you never know. I guess i will have to look else where. Again many thanks to you all, Brian