Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Air Force . . . ..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 13:20

I have just received a certificate relating to my gg grandfather, and it appears that he was a '2nd Private Royal Air Force (Steam Lorry Driver) during WW1. Where would I go for records (if any exist) thank you,

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 May 2006 13:24

start looking for any medal cards on this site. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch Roy

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 13:29

National Archives info: Difficult one whether the army or RAF would have them?? The Royal Air Force (RAF) was formed on 1 April 1918 following the amalgamation of the Army's Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the Navy's Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS). The Catalogue New records, together with those transferred from the Royal Flying Corps can be found in series AIR 79, along with records for those men with service numbers lower than 329000 (if they did not go on to serve in World War 2). The class is arranged by service number order. An index to find the service number is available on microfilm in AIR 78 Research guides Royal Air Force, and earlier air services: Service records Operational records of the Royal Air Force

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 13:32

Thanks for that Roy, Have just had a look, and unfortunately cant see anyone of that name for the Royal Air Force.

Pippa

Pippa Report 4 May 2006 13:39

Have you contacted RAF Innsworth?

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 13:45

ooh, no. . . how would I get hold of them? just going to google it. :-)

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 13:47

Karen, did you see the National Archives Info I added - It seems to say that the WW1 records are there. If you want to phone Innsworth to ask them if they are there or at Kew: 01452 712612 ext 7696 Good luck

Pippa

Pippa Report 4 May 2006 13:47

All I know is that their payroll is dealt with there so hopefully someone might have enough info to help you.

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 13:48

Thanks Heather, will call them, and also have another look on national archives. xx

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 13:50

Pippa,you were right, as Innsworth is where the Personnel Management Agency is and where you can get your relatives service records. Im currently awaiting my dads WW2 record. You have to ask for the forms and return them with £30 search fee.

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 13:53

Have just called them, he just asked me to write a letter with the information I have and they will have a look for me.

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 14:30

Oh well done - well that seems hopeful doesnt it - I mean he didnt say those records arent there. Write straight away, they are really slow sending out the forms.

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 14:47

Letter already written, posting this afternoon! :-) I dont have patience when it comes to solving mysteries. hee hee.

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 15:39

I do hope you strike lucky. I had to wait 4 weeks for the forms! I sent them back last week with the dosh, checking post box every day.

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 15:57

Me too! Not been very lucky with things like this so far. Really want to put more substanance to my family research than just names and dates, I would eventually like to write histories on the various lines of my tree. Want to make them feel more real. Will wait with baited breath . . . . . . . .

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 16:56

Karen, in the meantime, why dont you try to find on line what the job would have involved and put that on the tree notes.

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 16:58

Good idea, thanks Heather, will have a look.

Karen

Karen Report 4 May 2006 17:03

Found a picture of a typical steam lorry from the period. Very exciting.

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 17:39

Great, you could add that photo to your tree program. Try putting RAF WW1 in with the search in case it brings up pics of that.