Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Public Houses/Inns Folkestone = Help Needed = Pret

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 May 2006 17:29

I have a great who on the 1851 census says he was a Victualler. He (Thomas Spain) born 1797-82 was living at 13 Beach Street, Folkestone with his family. I would like to find out which Inn he worked. Was Northumberland House a Inn? I believe there to be a Royal George in that road too. Any ideas how I can find out about Inns at that time and who had them. Thanks a lot Chris

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 17:32

You could have a google to see if their is a pub society in the area - there is a brilliant one for Norfolk which lists all licensees. Or you could contact local records office to see if they have records of licence applications? If he were a victualler he would almost certainly be living on the premises so have you tried googling the address to see if a hotel or something is there now?

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 17:38

The Royal George is no. 18 Beach Street? What about looking at the historical directories site to see if he is listed there?

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 May 2006 17:59

Hi Heather Thanks - I have just tried Googling but have not got anywhere and have just tried the Historical Directories (which I didnt know existed) and cant find anything there although I have found it very difficult to navigate. Thanks a lot Chris

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 18:06

Yes, its not easy is it . I will have a look for you when I find my glasses!

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 21:38

Chris, virtually blind from trawling the historical directories - looks like your ancestor was too mean to fork out for an entry in the post office book! But I did find a site called All Folkestone Pubs and the only one in Beach Street was that Royal George. Now it could mean your guys has gone but it could mean that the road was renumbered or in fact the George takes up a lot of space. I think you need to contact the local archivist.

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 May 2006 22:31

Hi Heather Thanks so much for your help - I think I will try and contact the Archivist - it is so much nicer when you can put some facts rather than just a list of names. Thanks again Chris

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 May 2006 07:45

Chris Your best course would be to contact The Heritage Room at Folkestone library. They are most helpful and have all manner of local information. I would go in to ask for you but know that I'm going to have little spare time in the immediate future. Send a PM if you think I can help with anything else locally. Gwyn

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 May 2006 09:12

I think you are mistaking the schedule number for a house number, I have looked at the image and none of the houses are numbered, if they were, the number would be in the same column as the street name. Hope this helps. Jennifer

Langdon Lass

Langdon Lass Report 6 May 2006 09:26

I am just off to Folkestone, I can take a look for you if you like. The Royal George is still there, there are a number of pubs in that area.

Heather

Heather Report 6 May 2006 10:26

So if you were mistaken about the no. of the George - it may well be that the one at 18 Beach Street is your chaps place! Brilliant - hope it works out right.

Langdon Lass

Langdon Lass Report 7 May 2006 13:07

Hello Christine, I managed to get across to Folkestone yesterday. The only building that is standing in Beach Street is the Royal George. From memory the only other building I can remember being there was the Ark, it was a very old building but I am pretty sure it burned down years ago. If it is any help I have taken a photo of Beach Street and of the Royal George Pub. PM me if you would like me to email the photo to you. Regards, Tracy

Heather

Heather Report 7 May 2006 13:22

Tracy, thats so kind of you. You never get to Brighton do you!! :)

Langdon Lass

Langdon Lass Report 7 May 2006 13:45

Hi Heather, I do get down to Sussex every now and again, next time I am down in the Brighton area I will let you know :-) I am more than happy to take photos around Folkestone, Dover, Deal, Walmer, and Canterbury areas (including surrounding villages) if it helps someone. I have had so much help from others over the years its nice to be able to repay their kindness when I can. Regards, Tracy

Heather

Heather Report 7 May 2006 13:55

Id also be grateful on your opinions of all those places, as we are thinking of moving down there in a year or so! I have a lot of ancestors in the Pevensey/Brighton/Litlington area back to 1550.

Langdon Lass

Langdon Lass Report 7 May 2006 15:02

Heather, I am Folkestone born and bred but live in a tiny village between Walmer and Dover now. Very rural here but still only five minutes drive to the sea at St Margarets Bay. Are you looking for rural or seaside? Regards, Tracy

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 May 2006 16:13

There are two definitions for victualler on the old occupations site: Victualler 1) A tavern keeper - see Licensed Victualler. 2) Provided army, navy, or merchant ships with food supplies so he might have been in the 2nd category. nell

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 9 May 2006 12:48

Hi everyone Sorry only just been able to get back on site. Big thanks to everyone for their help and I have requested a copy of the photo from Tracey. Thanks again Chris

Langdon Lass

Langdon Lass Report 9 May 2006 15:09

Got the PM Chris, photo on its way. Tracy