Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP1841 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 4 May 2006 19:27

Im looking for Tabitha Carter or Robert Carter on the 1841 census please They lived in Shouldham (not sure of spelling)Norfolk Tabitha was the daughter Thanks

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 19:30

That's the correct spelling for Shouldham - there's also a Shouldham Thorpe nearby. Do you have any ages for these people? - in case it matters. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 19:34

They don't show up at first try - as CARTER in Shouldham or Shouldham Thorpe. Will have to try more roundabout methods! Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 19:37

It's only a village, even now, so I'm looking through the pages to see what I can find. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 19:47

Not sure how they've been transcribed, but I've found them: Shouldham HO 107 / 755 / 3 Fo 11 Pg 16 Robert CARTER, 50, Ag Lab, Y Tabitha do, 42, Y Robert do, 22, Y William do, 19, Y Maryann do, 17, Y Susanna do, 14, Y Edmund do, 6, Y Elizabeth do, 2, Y Christine

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 4 May 2006 19:52

Transcribed as CONTER Edmund Conter abt 1835 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk Elizebeth Conter abt 1839 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk Maryann Conter abt 1824 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk Pabither Conter abt 1799 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk Robert Conter abt 1791 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk Robert Conter abt 1819 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk Susanna Conter abt 1827 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk William Conter abt 1822 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk Mary Prince abt 1762 Norfolk, England Shouldham Norfolk

Pauline

Pauline Report 4 May 2006 19:52

Thanks for that Christine its a great help for me,Is this just a tiny place Ilive up in the Lake District Its my gt gt gt g/p Once again thanks

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 19:53

The writing is a bit tricky to read, but I'm not sure all the errors are fully justified. They've been transcribed as CONTER instead of CARTER. Tabitha has been rendered as Pabitha. It does look quite like that - unless you know that Tabitha is a name. Christine PS, had trouble getting this to post, so Ken has beaten me to it.

Pauline

Pauline Report 4 May 2006 19:53

Thanks Ken well done

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 19:54

It should come up on Multimap if you try. It's between Downham Market and Swaffham; near Marham (where there's an RAF station), and Fincham. Christine PS - I know all that because my father was Rector of Fincham, Boughton, Wereham, West Dereham, Shouldham, Shouldham Thorpe, and Marham in the 1970s, when they were set up as the Priory Cross Group of Parishes. If ever you're trying to track relevant records, you'll need to know it's in the Diocese of Ely not Norwich!

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 4 May 2006 19:56

Could Mary Prince be MIL?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 20:02

I wondered that, Ken. I'm just trying to satisfy myself that the name is really PRINCE. It certainly looks like it - but then, since it was entirely possible to confuse the T of Tabitha with P, I thought I should have another look for other examples of that enumerator's elegant but difficult-to-read script. Christine

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 4 May 2006 20:05

Have you got Robert's Parents? CHARLES CARTER TABITHA TRACE

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 20:07

On preceding pages there are Proctor, Pleasance and Pollard, all of which have a very clear capital P at the start. This flourish of a letter looks much more like the start of Tabitha and Thirza (previous page). But what name could it then be???? Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 20:07

Then Ken, I think that surname is TRAICE, not PRINCE! That would make her more likely to be an aunt. Christine

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 4 May 2006 20:13

TRACE also appears as a middle name later CHARLES TRACE CARTER - 1852 Shouldham, Norfolk, England

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 20:28

Too early to show an age on the index, but this might be a relevant death: Name: Mary Trace Year of Registration: 1842 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Downham County: Cambridgeshire, Norfolk Volume: 13 Page: 65

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 May 2006 20:37

There's some stuff about this family on the Ancestry Tree bit. Some looks a bit mixed up, but some looks quite promising - particularly about Robert CARTER, junr, who appears to have been transported on the Ramillies to W Australia (if I read aright) after being convicted ca 1854 in Norwich of malicious wounding. The parents are described as Charles CARTER and Tabitha TRACE, with estimated birth years of 1790. googling ''gavin'' and ''annetta blond'' might turn up something on the web. Christine

Pauline

Pauline Report 4 May 2006 21:25

Sorry I was away for a while Thank you both very much Inever thought i would get so much imfo lovely