Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM;;; Charting Companion tips please;;

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 8 May 2006 10:46

Hello all you out there who has this and has used it, would you please leave any handy tips on this thread for me Heather Positive thinker and others to view and use; Many thanks Babs

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 8 May 2006 10:48

Nudging cos me would like the tips too as doesn't appear to be that easy to use!! xx

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 8 May 2006 11:50

nudging to keep on front page ;; hope you dont mind;;

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 May 2006 12:05

LOL what are we like? My hubby bought me FTm 2006 about 3 months ago and with all the frilly bits, half I have to say I dont use, I have also never used the charting companion at all - am I suppose to? There is so much to this software and reading sometimes just makes it worse. So I would love to hear what other people do with this. janey

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 May 2006 12:09

I am using FTM 2005 - keep thinking I should update to 2006 and get the Charting Companion - but not sure what it has to offer. Looking forward to reading some replies on this thread. Is it worth the upgrade? What will it do?

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 8 May 2006 12:11

Janey Pin and Elaine. thats why I put the thread up, there is a lot like us out there, but there is alot out there that know what they are on about, thats why asking for any tips on use and setting out ect;; It is suppose to do a lot of dif; things calenders coloured charts ect;; We will just have to sit and wait to see if anyone comes to our aid;; Babs

Heather

Heather Report 8 May 2006 12:15

If you go to the my-history website they give you info about the difference and also a comparison chart: http://www*my-history*co*uk/acatalog/Family_Tree_Maker_2006_Detail*html

Helen Henderson

Helen Henderson Report 8 May 2006 12:20

I updated earlier this year to FTM 2006 with Charting Companion. I have only played around with CC a couple of times, but it produces colourful charts (choose your own colour scheme). It also produces semi- circular and circular charts, a progression of the fan chart for immediate ancestors. It does seem to have its limitation though about what it will include and I can't seem to get pictures with it. As a freebie its o.k but I wouldn't pay the £20 it is supposed to cost to buy seperately. Hope this is of help. Helen

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 8 May 2006 12:28

Hello everyone I have FTM Charting Companions 2006 and although I haven't used it extensively I have played around with it and can see the potential it has. It's a very simple device which picks its database straight from FTM so no adding details or messing about importing/exporting and backing up. You go to the INDEX as you would on FTM and choose WHO you want. Then go to BROWSE and choose WHAT you want (such as ancestors or descendants. Then go to PRINT and choose HOW you want it printed ie: Fan Bow etc. It then gives options of printing 2 generations, 9 generations, 5 generations etc - the choice is yours. You also get to choose the layout, the colour, pictures, the font and which labels are printed in your tree - any, all or none are the options are open to you. I'm sure it could probably do a lot more than I've scanned but would need to look at it in depth. If you're asking for a recommendation to buy it I'd say YES!! How this answers a few of your questions. Snowdrops

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 8 May 2006 12:36

Helen Once you click on BROWSE you are then given the option of ANCESTORS OR DESCENDENTS. Select your option and another box opens up. On the CONTENTS tab on the right hand side about half way down is a list starting: Print Place Names, Include Siblings, Cousin Smart and INCLUDE PHOTOS. Make sure you TICK THE BOX for INCLUDE PHOTOS and you will get your photos printed out. Snowdrops

Helen Henderson

Helen Henderson Report 8 May 2006 12:46

Hi Snowdrops Thanks for the tip, I will try again and see what happens! I must admit I had spent very little time looking around the menus, and it probably would help if I printed off the user guide!! Thanks once again for the tip. Helen

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 8 May 2006 12:47

Snowdrop many thanks this is the kind of thing we wanted;; Just straight forward talk;; Thanks very much;; Have to out now but will have another play later;; Babs

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 8 May 2006 17:52

Hummmm;; Well had a little play around ;; bonny colours, dont know that Im all that impressed as the moment, but then only done ancestor hourglass one and semi circle one but you can do that from the ordinary FTM;; Babs

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 8 May 2006 18:23

Babs When I got my FTM 2006 charting companion came with it. I didn't bother looking at the charting facility on FTM and went straight to the companion presuming it would be better. Now I've had a look at FTM itself and what a swizz - don't anyone waste their money on Charting Companions, it is exactly the same!!! I take it all back please forgive me (on bended knee here, lol) Seriously though, if you don't have FTM and want a charting programme companions is good for that but NOT if you already have it on FTM. Snowdrops

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 8 May 2006 22:37

Thanks Snowdrop;;; my sentimentality's exactly;;;;;; Babs;;; PS ;;;;; PMSL OH calls me Snowball;;;;

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 9 May 2006 08:58

I feel like a right thickie now (lol, doesn't take much!). Had FTM 2005 and got the 2006 upgrade for Christmas. Where and what is this Charting Companion please? I'm afraid I'm one of these naughty ones who never reads instruction manuals or accompanying leaflets eeek! Does it come on a separate disc? Will I know if I've got it??? Thanks! Mandy

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 9 May 2006 09:08

Mandy When you put your disc in to install it there should also have been other alternatives further down - one of them being Charting Companion. You can still install this part of your programme (if it was part of your upgrade) by inserting the cd and selecting your option. You will then see it as a different icon on your desktop. But really, as said above, if you have FTM 2006 version (sorry don't know about previous versions) you really don't need this stand alone programme - it really is the same as what's already on FTM. Snowdrops

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 9 May 2006 09:26

Many thanks Snowdrop. I was very virtuous yesterday and did lots of housework, so today can be my 'play day' lol! Mandy :)