Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help .. I'm new to this!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 10 May 2006 11:09

I recently started to look for my father's family online. I've not started a 'paper trail' as yet other than what I have managed to glean from various sites like Ancestry and 1837 (which I must say have been very useful) and I've got the direct line back to 1806 with ease. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that my grandfather was one of a dozen or so children, but I have only managed to come up with 6 of them from census information .. is there any way I can find out where the rest of them are without knowing their names .. only the surname .. and there were about 7m Capsticks living in and around Kendal at the time of my grandfather/gg grandfather and ggg-grandfather's birthdates! Any help for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 May 2006 11:14

If you have the direct line back to 1806, you must know your grandfather's parent's names. Have you found them in each census? If so the census returns should give you most of the children with their parents when they are young, then you just have to go through the census returns looking for them when they are old enough to have left home. Or are these great grandparents born too late to have any children shown on census returns? Kath. x

Kate

Kate Report 10 May 2006 11:14

Can you post up the information that you have so far on this thread, and see if we can come up with anything? Kate.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 May 2006 11:17

When a Census is taken I believe that it records who was in a particular household at the time the census was taken not a list of all family members so maybe some of the brothers and sisters were lodging away while working try going through all the census,s to see if they appear in a previous one or later on. hoper this helps i am fairly new to this myself stephanie xxx

Alison

Alison Report 10 May 2006 11:34

Information gained from the 1841 Census John Capstick -born in 1806 in Kendal married Susannah ? - born in 1811 Son - Thomas Capstick born 1833 in Kendal Daughters – Susannah (1836) & Mary (1839) were there more .. I definitely think so! Information gained from the subsequent censuses The son, Thomas married Mary ? born in 1835 Their children were Ada (1869), Eliza (1871), Florence (1874), Frederick (1875), Charles (1877), Walter (1879) Frederick was my grandfather .. and my dad has just died (hence me starting this .. so I can't ask him what aunts and uncles he thinks he had .. doh!) Why did I start this? lol

Kate

Kate Report 10 May 2006 11:38

So, which census(es) have you found Thomas, Mary and their children on so far? Kate.

Trudy

Trudy Report 10 May 2006 11:40

Alison Just a thought - why not try asking your aunts and uncles, which aunts and uncles they remember - worth a try!!!! I had a similar problem, although I had a whole box of photos that gave me links to various people - my dad and grandparents had all died before I started this, one second cousin seemed interested, met with her once and she won't respond at all now, but had a meeting with a first cousin, once removed, on the other side and now we share all sorts of information, I am so glad I managed to find him again. Also, talk to all your cousins, they might have stories from their parents that you don't. Good luck Regards Looby

Alison

Alison Report 10 May 2006 11:47

All of them .. but obviously the girls may have changed their names (I know of Florence because she was living with her father and her husband in the 1901 one). 1891 .. my grandfather (but I think I am being blond and don't think I searched for gg-grandfather). 1881 .. got most of the names I have. erm .. I'm now confused .. now having senior moments .. 1841 .. gg-grandfather I think I am going to have to go away and search the censuses a bit more .. doesn't help that I'm at work and the telephone keeps ringing!

Kate

Kate Report 10 May 2006 11:50

If you find them on 1871 then they should hopefully have the children who were born by then with them, and on 1891 any born after 1881 should show up. Oh, and of course, also look for 1861 in case there were much older ones! But if any of them were staying with relatives, of course, they will be harder to find. Kate.

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 10 May 2006 11:53

Just a hint Alison, I see you haven't got susannas maiden name, i notice Mary was born around 1839, if you can find the record of her birth and send off for a certificate, it will give you susannas maiden name, or have you aldready tried to look for marys birth?! Karenx

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 10 May 2006 12:00

Alison Found this on Ancestry Mary Capstick born 1838 Kendal, Lancashire, Westmorland Ref Quarter Jul/Aug/Sep Vol 25 page 431 This sounds very likely to be your girl. You can apply for certificate on line via the GRO site on phone them 0845 603 7788

Alison

Alison Report 10 May 2006 12:10

Oh wow .. thanks! As I said I am new to this and not thinking laterally or outside the box as yet .. I'm getting there .. but I just seemed to be using searches to confirm what I already knew and not trying to find out new stuff (if you see what I mean!) You are an angel Fuzzy I will definitely get the record!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 May 2006 12:13

The family in 1851 with more children:- Ann Capstick abt 1845 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Isabella Capstick abt 1848 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Jane Capstick abt 1842 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland >>>Jno Capstick abt 1811 Kendal, Westmorland, England Head Kendal Westmorland Mary Capstick abt 1840 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland >>>Susannah Capstick abt 1808 Penny Bridge, Lancashire, England Wife Kendal Westmorland Susannah Capstick abt 1837 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Tho Capstick abt 1833 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland Willm Capstick abt 1850 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland Address looks like Wildman Street. Kath. x

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 10 May 2006 12:14

Happy to help x x

Alison

Alison Report 10 May 2006 12:18

Thanks Kath! That's fantastic. I realise have was being a bit blinkered in my thinking and looking!

The Ego

The Ego Report 10 May 2006 12:43

Heres the household in 1871............ Ada Mary Capstic abt 1869 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Sarah Jane Capstic abt 1870 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Albert Edward Capstick abt 1864 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland George William Capstick abt 1862 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland John Capstick abt 1858 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland Maria Albert Capstick abt 1860 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Mary Capstick abt 1836 Kendal, Westmorland, England Wife Kendal Westmorland ( MUM) Thomas Capstick abt 1833 Kendal, Westmorland, England Head Kendal Westmorland (DAD) Thomas Capstick abt 1866 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1881 census Ada M. Capstick abt 1869 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son (Daughter) Kendal Westmorland Albert Capstick abt 1864 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland Earnest Capstick abt 1879 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland Florence Capstick abt 1873 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Fredk. Capstick abt 1875 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland Geo.W. Capstick abt 1863 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland John Capstick abt 1858 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Kendal Westmorland Maria Capstick abt 1860 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland Mary Capstick abt 1835 Kendal, Westmorland, England Wife Kendal Westmorland Sarah E. Capstick abt 1871 Kendal, Westmorland, England Daughter Kendal Westmorland >>>>>>>>thomas (1866) has flown the nest or just wasnt in that day.... ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- by 1891..............a few changes Thomas 58 dyer mary 56......mum and dad Ada 22 photographers asst. Eliza 20 >>>previous census called Sarah E. Fred H. 16 clerk. Charles>>>>new entry ! aged 14 (missing last census 1881) Walter E. >>>previous census called Ernest. Florence(18),George W (28)and Maria (31) have all flown the nest. Check for marriages with these 3 names 1881-1891 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ SUMMARY SO FAR>>>>>>>>>>>> Thomas (1833) Dad Mary (1836) Mum Children>>> (1)John (1858)birth not found that correspons-be careful (2)Maria Albert= Mar 1860 Kendal 10b 577 (cert) (3)George William = june 1862/mar 1861 10b 624(cert) (4)Albert Edward (1864)NOT FOUND (5)Thomas =June 1866 10b 648 (cert) (6)Ada (1869)= be careful-this doesnt correspond with Elizabeth Ada born June 1871-census is probably wrong. (7)Sarah Eliza Jane=Dec 1870-10b 631(cert)-also called Eliza. (8)Florence Annie=June 1873-10b 664 (cert) (9)Frederick Herbert =June 1875- 10b 718 (cert) YOUR GRANDFATHER (10)Charles Theodore= jun quarter 1876 10b 751 (cert) (11)Walter Ernest (1879) also called Walter/Ernest=Mar 1879-10b 176 (cert).

Heather

Heather Report 10 May 2006 12:59

Hi Alison These are from the IGI on www.familysearch.org MARY CAPSTICK 30 JUN 1839 Kendal, Westmorland, England ANN CAPSTICK 01 JUN 1845 Kendal, Westmorland, England JOHN CAPSTICK 28 SEP 1834 Kendal, Westmorland, England ELIZABETH CAPSTICK 10 OCT 1830 Kendal, Westmorland, England JANE CAPSTICK 09 MAY 1842 Kendal, Westmorland, England SUSANNAH CAPSTICK 11 SEP 1836 Kendal, Westmorland, England THOMAS CAPSTICK 17 JUN 1832 Kendal, Westmorland, England Isabella <Capstick> 25 DEC 1847 Kendal, Westmorland, England Heather

Heather

Heather Report 10 May 2006 13:05

Possible marriage? CAPSTICK, John Marriage Wife: Susannah WHARTON Marriage Date: 14 Nov 1829 Recorded in: Kendal, Westmorland, England Source: FHL Film Dates: 1819 - 1862 Heather