Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you good at reading dreadful handwriting?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Skewedhalo

Skewedhalo Report 10 May 2006 16:54

A lovely lady on here found me my missing Rose family on the 1851 census. Their surnames had been mistranscribed as Ron! But I really need to know where the head of the household, Richard Rose, was born. It has been transcribed as Molebrook Kenndl! Would someone else have a look and see what they think it may be? it is on HO107/1604 folio 322 page 11. Many thanks, Sharon

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2006 16:59

It's certainly tricky.........I think the first word is Sholebrook, but the second one has defeated me. 1861 has his birthplace as Whittlebury, Northants Reg

Merry

Merry Report 10 May 2006 17:07

Is he a helper at the Royal Stud (something)????? The mind boggles! Merry

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 10 May 2006 17:08

Hi Sharon it was me that found him, but am sorry can't read any of it Linda

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2006 17:10

Googled 'Sholebrook'.........found this Whittlebury Village in Northamptonshire... However, Whittlebury still has in existence another sizeable, stone building, Sholebrook Lodge, listed Grade II and set in woodland to the north of the main ... Reg

Kate

Kate Report 10 May 2006 17:12

The enumerator doesn't seem to have had a clear rule about whether to put the county name first or last, which doesn't help. I too say 'Helper Royal Stud Stables' for his occupation. (They are living at Helpers Cottage and the next house is Stud Lodge. This wouldn't be the same Hampton as Hampton Court, would it?) But as much as I look at that birthplace, I can't make either word into a county name. Perhaps Sholebrook Kinnell or some such is the name of a village and he had to go onto the next line for the county, Northamptonshire, and the wife came from the same place? I really have no idea! Kate.

Merry

Merry Report 10 May 2006 17:12

I've got the answer!!! Everyone's birth places have been written one line lower than on the 1861 census!! Merry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2006 17:14

His occupation in 1861 was 'groom' so the 'stud' bit makes sense. Reg

Merry

Merry Report 10 May 2006 17:17

...............1851........................................1861 Richard....?? this is part of his occ.............Whittlebury Northants Betsy.......Northamptonshire......................Quarndon, Leicestershire Elizabeth..Quarndon, Leicestershire.............Great Thorndon Suffolk Annie........Great Thorndon Suffolk...............Dec'd??? The others are correct! Merry

Kate

Kate Report 10 May 2006 17:18

So the enumerator used two lines for the head's birthplace and then put everybody else's birthplace on the line below their name? Kate.

Skewedhalo

Skewedhalo Report 10 May 2006 17:19

Thanks everyone. He worked with horses throughout his life so the occupation makes sense. And I am hoping all the places of birth were written in the wrong order and that Richard was born in Whittlebury, Northants as I am off to the Family History Centre tonight to look at the Whittlebury bishop's transcripts hoping to find him. Finger's crossed for me. Sharon

Merry

Merry Report 10 May 2006 17:20

I think so Kate....I wondered if the place of birth for Richard (first line) is just part of his extended occupation??....is it something kennels? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 10 May 2006 17:31

Ah..... He was born at the Sholebrook Kennels on the Grafton Estate at Whittlebury in Northamptonshire. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 10 May 2006 17:31

Oh Reggie said that already! M

Roger in Sussex

Roger in Sussex Report 10 May 2006 18:28

FWIW (probably not much !!) According to Ogilvie's Roads (preface dated 1804), Sholebrook Lodge was the residence of B. Ansby, Esq.

Merry

Merry Report 10 May 2006 18:54

LOL - I've just say here for at least five mins wondering what FWIW means!!! Got it now....Doh........................... Merry

Roger in Sussex

Roger in Sussex Report 10 May 2006 19:01

Sorry Merry :(

Skewedhalo

Skewedhalo Report 11 May 2006 22:57

Thanks everyone. :-) Sharon